Which tandem is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
So besides Toronto why did Buffalo, San Jose, St. Louis and Philadelphia until they hired Hakstol all have interest in Babcock? That's not including Detroit who wanted to keep him. If more teams besides the Islanders were looking for a head coach today, how do you know Trotz even picks the Islanders? So those other teams who wanted Babcock did not care about him not winning a playoff series since 2013.

So this is how we're going to spin it? 5 hours ago he was picking a team that didn't even exist because "LOL Islanders", now it's because they were the only team despite reports two other teams were inquiring?

Don't care, can't wipe this smile off my face. Enjoy upcoming contract talks with your captain after promising to rip it away and hand it to JT without even getting a chance to talk to him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why? Maybe it's because you claimed that he hasn't won a round since 2013 despite coaching "very good Red Wing teams". That's why he's focusing on Wings teams since 2013
I'm not ignoring anything, I just responded to your own words. That's why I quoted them. You criticized him for not winning a series since 2013 despite being with a very good Red Wings team, but they weren't very good at that point.

Yes, the Leafs haven't won a series the last two years. They were also playing better teams without home ice advantage.

Not winning a playoff rd is bad enough since 2013, winning 1 cup in 15 years of coaching when one looks at the teams Babcock has coached, is really the point. He can be considered overrated for getting a team to pay him 6.5M for 8 years is it not?

If you are getting millions and millions of dollars x 8 years more than the next coach who has won 3 Cups. You should be better than 1 for 15, and nothing since 2013 right?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not winning a playoff rd is bad enough since 2013, winning 1 cup in 15 years of coaching when one looks at the teams Babcock has coached, is really making my point. He is a tad overrated for getting a team to pay him 6.5M for 8 years is it not?

If you are getting millions and millions of dollars x 8 years more than the next coach who has won 3 Cups. You should be better than 1 for 15, and nothing since 2013 right?
Maybe if Lou Lamoriello made some better trades for the Leafs they might have won those series against Washington and Boston. It was his idea to trade for Brian Boyle in 2017 and Tomas Plekanec this past season at both trade deadlines and those trades failed.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Maybe if Lou Lamoriello made some better trades for the Leafs they might have won those series against Washington and Boston. It was his idea to trade for Brian Boyle in 2017 and Tomas Plekanec this past season at both trade deadlines and those trades failed.
Plekanec was a pretty good trade to be fair. he did pretty well when he was matched up against Bergeron. Lou didn't really do much to make the team better though. He didn't try to upgrade our defense, and he didn't try to move our pending UFAs in order to set the Leafs up better for the future. it's not awful, but the Leafs could be in a much better spot if he was more proactive

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Plekanec was a pretty good trade to be fair. he did pretty well when he was matched up against Bergeron. Lou didn't really do much to make the team better though. He didn't try to upgrade our defense, and he didn't try to move our pending UFAs in order to set the Leafs up better for the future. it's not awful, but the Leafs could be in a much better spot if he was more proactive
That might true during the playoffs, however the majority of his time in Toronto he was a disappointment and a bad trade by Lamoriello.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Love the job Lou has done so far as Islanders GM. Dubas still needs to prove himself, especially with Matthews & Marner extension talks, fixing the defense, replacing JVR & Bozak and what they bring in the offense.

Time will obviously tell how effective a GM Dubas is, but the fact Colorado or whoever wanted to interview him for a job doesn't give him instant credibility. He has work to do if he wants to turn Toronto from a 1st round exit team to a potential Cup contender.

Reactions: PWJunior

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Love the job Lou has done so far as Islanders GM. Dubas still needs to prove himself, especially with Matthews & Marner extension talks, fixing the defense, replacing JVR & Bozak and what they bring in the offense.

Time will obviously tell how effective a GM Dubas is, but the fact Colorado or whoever wanted to interview him for a job doesn't give him instant credibility. He has work to do if he wants to turn Toronto from a 1st round exit team to a potential Cup contender.
Dubas has my faith 100%, went to the Greyhounds-Mem cup Champs, 100% ran the Marlies-Calder cup champs. The young man is doing something right.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

I don't think it's fair to say Lou has done a great job for the Islanders so far but Dubas still needs to prove himself. Both do

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'd take Trotz and Dubas. Though tbh I think it's a toss-up between Babcock and Trotz, they're both overrated so I'd go with the Leafs duo.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
@The Winter Soldier I do have question and let's see if you answer it.

I'm honestly wondering why you choose to have Dubas and Babcock up against Lamoriello and Trotz? You do know that Minnesota hired Paul Fenton as their new GM and he had no previous experience as a GM just like Dubas.

My guess is you choose Dubas and Babcock due to your hate of all things Maple Leafs, still you could have had Lamoriello and Trotz up against Bruce Boudreau and Paul Fenton.

Hell you could have done Lamoriello and Trotz up against Don Waddell and Rod Brind'Amour of Carolina.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Trotz vs. Babcock I won't touch.

Dubas vs. Lou career wise... gee I wonder....

But going forward, much rather have a fresh mind than a dinosaur.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
I saw an interview with dubas on sportsnet after the marlies won the calder cup, he was asked that he seemed to be a very emotional guy, he looked stocked by the win, and he answered that thats who he is, and is not the type of person to shy away from showing hes a happy guy.

Damn my english is terrible, but i think hes going to be really good for the leafs young guys, marner and mathews while thrive under him. Well thats what i think.

At this moment Lou as way more on his resume on the nhl level to vote for dubas and babcock, but i truly think the leafs are going to shine for the next few years.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
We had the option to keep Lou, and picked Dubas.

Trotz and Babs are close enough.

Pretty easy choice for this Leafs fan.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I can't wait for the day if Mark Hunter becomes a NHL GM and see him and whatever head coach he has compared to Dubas and Babcock, you know it will happen. :sarcasm:

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I mean one doesn't really have a track record yet... maybe ask this in a couple of years instead of stirring debate between the team who willingly let Lou walk away and the team who signed him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He has been the GM for like 2 weeks and Lou has been GM since Dubas was in Elementary. If you think experience is that important that is literally the only thing to go off of because Dubas has....signed Connor Carrick to a deal.

Not even - Dubas was in diapers when Lou got his first GM job.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Coaches aside (I think Babs and Trotz are the top 2 coaches in hockey)

Both GM’s are exactly what their respective teams need. The isles need a guy to come in and set the culture, and the leafs are a team who have established that culture and need a guy who can relate to their young stars and is likely more willing to take risks due to the core in place

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leaf fan voting Isles.

GM and Coach...

Dubas has "no experience" as a gm, in the sense that we have yet to see what he does before we can properly evaluate him. This shouldn't be a poll. You're comparing one of the best GMs in hockey to someone who is just starting his career as a GM

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Not that difficult, Trotz vs. Babcock might be a wash, but I prefer Dubas a lot lot lot over 75 year old Lamoriello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad