Lamoriello/Trotz vs Dubas/Babcock

Which tandem is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I thought Lou was a pretty mediocre GM for the Leafs, but we obviously have no idea how Dubas will be. He could easily be better or worse. I assume he will be better, but there's not really evidence of that. Babcock vs Trotz is another toss-up

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
You judge the tandem on the information available.

Okay.

Babcock and Trotz were both on the free market. Babcock had multiple offers of $8 million. Trotz got $4 million. Seems like the market values Babcock more.

Brendan Shanahan had both Lou and Dubas in his organization. He valued Dubas more.

I'll go with the Leafs tandem.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Well Shanahan thought Dubas was the better manager since he let Lou go and promoted Dubas, and Shanahan has been near perfect since being hired. I have no reason to doubt his judgement.

Also I would argue Babcock is the better coach than Trotz, though close. But he's the one getting the HC coaching gigs in international play, some will argue Trotz won a cup, but did it with a more seasoned and better Capitals club. Also Babcock has cups under his resume too.

@The Winter Soldier I'm assuming your taking the Isles duo -- can you tell me why since you were pretty adamant about how Lou was past his prime when the Leafs hired him -- what impressed you so much with his work with the Leafs since he's now the greatest thing since slice bread?

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well Shanahan thought Dubas was the better manager since he let Lou go and promoted Dubas, and Shanahan has been near perfect since being hired. I have no reason to doubt his judgement.

Also I would argue Babcock is the better coach than Trotz, though close. But he's the one getting the HC coaching gigs in international play, some will argue Trotz won a cup, but did it with a more seasoned and better Capitals club. Also Babcock has cups under his resume too.

@The Winter Soldier I'm assuming your taking the Isles duo -- can you tell me why since you were pretty adamant about how Lou was past his prime when the Leafs hired him -- what impressed you so much with his work with the Leafs since he's now the greatest thing since slice bread?
I know you mentioned Babcock's international resume but some people forget besides him being coaching Canada's back to back Olympic Gold Medal teams, he's the only NHL head coach who has won a World Hockey Championship and a World Junior Hockey Championship.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I thought Lou was a pretty mediocre GM for the Leafs, but we obviously have no idea how Dubas will be. He could easily be better or worse. I assume he will be better, but there's not really evidence of that. Babcock vs Trotz is another toss-up

And he was downright bad his last few years with us. Granted he had to deal with a deadbeat owner but his and Conte's drafting record took a sharp decline

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You should know that whenever anyone Leafs the Maple Leafs organization they automatically become a lot better. Look at everything he said about Mark Hunter when he quit.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dubas and Babcock because with Babcock's resume he should win this no matter what.

Babcock's resume is he has not won a playoff rd since 2012-2013. This despite coaching very good Red Wing teams. Are you sure about this? Everyone in this poll has some baggage. This is why it is a good poll. I would hope people would vote with their heads and not by the colour of a jersey as I notice by the early results.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Babcock's resume is he has not won a playoff rd since 2012-2013. This despite coaching very good Red Wing teams. Are you sure about this? Everyone in this poll has some baggage. This is why it is a good poll. I would hope people would vote with their heads and not by the colour of a jersey as I notice by the early results.
So besides Toronto why did Buffalo, San Jose, St. Louis and Philadelphia until they hired Hakstol all have interest in Babcock? That's not including Detroit who wanted to keep him. If more teams besides the Islanders were looking for a head coach today, how do you know Trotz even picks the Islanders? So those other teams who wanted Babcock did not care about him not winning a playoff series since 2013.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Red Wings were very good after 2013?

Well if you want to ask that, why are you ignoring since 2005? Would you not expect more than 1 cup by a coach as highly regarded as Babcock with how many hall of fame players that played on those Red Wing teams? 1 Cup in 15 years of coaching. Again not saying he is bad, a tad overrated for being the highest paid coach by a good margin and in the media. yes. Leafs still have not won a playoff rd in 15 years the last 2 under Babcock, right?

Reactions: 6 Karlsson 5

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Okay.

Babcock and Trotz were both on the free market. Babcock had multiple offers of $8 million. Trotz got $4 million. Seems like the market values Babcock more.

Brendan Shanahan had both Lou and Dubas in his organization. He valued Dubas more.

I'll go with the Leafs tandem.
Multiple teams besides Toronto wanted Babcock, Trotz option was to accept the Islanders job or wait for something else.

Let's not forget the Coyotes wanted to interview Dubas for their GM job before they hired John Chayka, however said he was not ready to become a GM at that time. Plus the Avalanche wanted Dubas for some high level executive job. I also think Dubas name was brought up for the GM jobs in Buffalo and Carolina when they were both vacant.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well if you want to ask that, why are you ignoring since 2005? Would you not expect more than 1 cup by a coach as highly regarded as Babcock with how many hall of fame players that played on those Red Wing teams? 1 Cup in 15 years of coaching. Again not saying he is bad, a tad overrated for being the highest paid coach by a good margin and in the media. yes. Leafs still have not won a playoff rd in 15 years the last 2 under Babcock, right?
Why? Maybe it's because you claimed that he hasn't won a round since 2013 despite coaching "very good Red Wing teams". That's why he's focusing on Wings teams since 2013

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I'm not ignoring anything, I just responded to your own words. That's why I quoted them. You criticized him for not winning a series since 2013 despite being with a very good Red Wings team, but they weren't very good at that point.

Yes, the Leafs haven't won a series the last two years. They were also playing better teams without home ice advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad