Which tandem is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Dubas and Babcock because of Dubas. Couldn’t give a shit about Babcock TBH.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Just a few of TWS' quotes about Lou when he was with the Leafs.
As a GM. I think Chevy is better suited for the NHL presently, then Lamoriello is. Given how Lou left the Devils in pretty bad shape with bloated contracts and players that were past the best before date. You can really see the difference when Shero who is more lke Chevy took over rebuilding the Devils franchise back up. Chevy is better, and I would be a lot more confident having his as my GM in today's modern game.

Using this type of logic, Lou would be better than Shero too, since NJ has not made the playoffs the past 2 years and may make it 1 out of 3 on their current pavce. But we know that would be a hard sell wouldn't we? Lou better than Shero. No chance.

Lou was a pretty good GM in the 80's, but his management style is like an antiquated Dinosaur these day with arcane no facial hair policies and bloated vet signings that practically sunk NJ before Shero resuscitated the NJ franchise. But let's be honest here. He has had as much to do with the Leafs moderate success of sneaking into the playoffs by 1 pt last year as the prior Mgt did or plain luck as in winning a lottery. I will give him credit for trading for Andersen but that was the extent of his roster moves last year. The vast majority of roster last year was already set before he came in including the hiring of a coach.

What has Lou proved since Toronto? Signing Matt Martin to 2.5M x 4 years? What is your basis for ignoring how he left NJ when he was a GM as a good indicator where his GM acumen is right now in today's game? Chevy atleast has got Scheifele and Ehlers signed long term to 2 of the best contracts in the NHL right now.

Here's the thread in case you want to see an example of someone do a complete 180:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/better-gm-toronto-vs-winnipeg.2444335/page-6

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hahah what a surprise that you would create this thread.
I'm still waiting for him to answer this question about why he didn't make the topic like this.

LeafsNation75 said:
@The Winter Soldier I do have question and let's see if you answer it.

I'm honestly wondering why you choose to have Dubas and Babcock up against Lamoriello and Trotz? You do know that Minnesota hired Paul Fenton as their new GM and he had no previous experience as a GM just like Dubas.

My guess is you choose Dubas and Babcock due to your hate of all things Maple Leafs, still you could have had Lamoriello and Trotz up against Bruce Boudreau and Paul Fenton.

Hell you could have done Lamoriello and Trotz up against Don Waddell and Rod Brind'Amour of Carolina.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Anyone have the thread from when the Leafs hired Lou Lam? Or was that lost when HF switched over?

I imagine the narrative has changed.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I know this may be surprising to non-leaf fans or even some leaf-fans but I value Dubas more than Babcock. If I had to pick one for the team to go forward with (some weird hypothetical), I would pick Dubas over Babcock.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Oh another thread comparing management groups that once ran the Leafs, and one that still runs the Leafs. You gotta wonder about posters motives on this one, I also remember the same posters talking about Lou being washed up when he was hired by the Leafs, and how Trotz was garbage before he won a cup, and is still not a great coach in my opinion. Plus how old will Lou be in 10 years? 90? like will he still have a brain intact within the next 5?

But I will play the game and make people happy

Lou and Trotz AINEC :thumbu:

Reactions: LeafsNation75

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Of course this idea was sparked. You're the noted Leaf hater, but are obsessed with them at the same time.

I will bet $5000 dollars with anybody on here, that Dubas/Babcock and whoever we hire as director of scouting, will blow Lou and Trotz out of the water. It will be the easiest money I have ever won lol

Hell Lou will be in a nursing home in 5-10 years

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is a pretty pointless poll. How can we even discuss Dubas when all he's done is make a couple small re-signings and a draft pick. On reputation, it isn't discussable, as Lou is a giant in the game. Dubas could be a future Hall of Famer (and I hope he is), and the game may have passed Lou by the same merit.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
This is a pretty pointless poll. How can we even discuss Dubas when all he's done is make a couple small re-signings and a draft pick. On reputation, it isn't discussable, as Lou is a giant in the game. Dubas could be a future Hall of Famer (and I hope he is), and the game may have passed Lou by the same merit.

Yep, but people be stupid, and make threads to irritate others lol

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Oh another thread comparing management groups that once ran the Leafs, and one that still runs the Leafs. You gotta wonder about posters motives on this one, I also remember the same posters talking about Lou being washed up when he was hired by the Leafs, and how Trotz was garbage before he won a cup, and is still not a great coach in my opinion. Plus how old will Lou be in 10 years? 90? like will he still have a brain intact within the next 5?

But I will play the game and make people happy

Lou and Trotz AINEC :thumbu:
For the record Lamoriello is 76 years old.

Also it's funny you mention those posters who said Lou was washed up when Shanahan hired him, because someone else wondered if the thread from this board was still around and it was. So here is the link if you want to see the negative comments about Lou from just 3 years ago.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...resident-named-leafs-general-manager.1932521/

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Dubas has literally spent most of his life in search of being a hockey savant. And I respect that.

However, once he hits puberty, he will be easier to hold in high esteem.........

Relax all you uptight folks; I jest, I jest......

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
For the record Lamoriello is 76 years old.

Also it's funny you mention those posters who said Lou was washed up when Shanahan hired him, because someone else wondered if the thread from this board was still around and it was. So here is the link if you want to see the negative comments about Lou from just 3 years ago.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...resident-named-leafs-general-manager.1932521/

PURE GOLD!

Makes so many posters look stupid, and shows that it is purely a thread made to crap on the Leafs

Thanks for finding

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would add that Mike Babcock is a soon to be Hall of Fame coach and while Trotz finally won himself a Stanley Cup, let's be honest and remember that for the longest time this season the Capitals wanted him gone and were looking for excuses during the regular season to fire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad