GDT: Lame Day Thread: 29 Dec 2014 - Wild @ Jets - 7PM - FSN, FS-WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Wild-bench-Dec-29-300x200.jpeg

Wild post-game audio: Coach Yeo, Kuemper, Scandella & Koivu.

To listen click here.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
The wild, where the leading goal scorer isn't on the top pp, and the leading goal scoring dman isn't on the top pp. Not only that, they get about thirty seconds per pp

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Russo asked Yeo about Scandella playing on the 1st PP unit...Russo reads HF! :laugh:

I'm pretty sure he lurks here. He seems to focus on the same topics that are bought up here. Next level journalism if you ask me. Every beat writer should be in touch with what the hard core fans are focused on.

EDIT: one reason I think he lurks here, one month ago Teppo posted a chart of Nino's ice time compared to the top 25 goal scorers in the league. Then a few days later Mike tweets the same stat.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Turned it off right after they scored the second and don't regret it. I was pissed. I was still following the score so I knew we came back. Figured I shouldn't watch the end since we did well when I stayed away.. and it worked.

Potentially season-saving win, though I'm still not optimistic about playoff chances at all.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Scandy should be #1, best shot from the point on the team, more goals than the rest of our D combined.

Rocket shot, but Spurgeon has more control and a way better passer IMO.

Right now:

Parise-Koivu-Poms (till Zucker is back)
Nino-Spurgeon

Vanek-Coyle-Fontaine (till Zucker is back and then replace Poms here)
Folin-Scandella

Howitzers on your blue line for three players up front who are keen on dirty goals

Regardless: No more Suter on the damn PP would be a great sight at this point. Now...just imagine what it could look like next year when we have 4 Dmen who can actually make a semblance of a realistic slapshot instead of a wristshot into the pads of the goalie.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'm pretty sure he lurks here. He seems to focus on the same topics that are bought up here. Next level journalism if you ask me. Every beat writer should be in touch with what the hard core fans are focused on.

EDIT: one reason I think he lurks here, one month ago Teppo posted a chart of Nino's ice time compared to the top 25 goal scorers in the league. Then a few days later Mike tweets the same stat.

He's tweeted so many things many of us have said over the years that I would like him to just do a damn Q&A on here for just us :biglaugh:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Probably the best game I've seen the Wild play in well over a month. The first period stunk, but they had great energy the rest of the way. The fourth line actually looked good as they were winning battles for the puck and keeping it in the O zone. Scandella looks like a beast right now, Weber 2.0. He needs to be on the #1 PP instead of Suter. Spurgeon and Kuemper had their best games in a long time too.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

it's called pandering, and while it used to be a dirty word today it works (for hits, clicks) if you're adept at it, which Russo is, in this day and age where there are a million bloggers talking about the same stuff. People (in the broad sense of the word) do not have the time nor the will usually to go back time and time again to read a person who isn't either a) agreeing with them or b) an over the top asshat (Dater's method). Russo keeps his readership up, he's a good writer, and so he maintains relatively privileged access to the team (it benefits them as well).

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't think identifying trends and asking the right questions is next level journalism...it's just plain old journalism. Russo is skewed slightly towards the Wild, which you pretty much have to be in order to be a beat writer. You don't want to be a homer, but you can't be antagonistic or apathetic towards the team.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I don't think identifying trends and asking the right questions is next level journalism...it's just plain old journalism. Russo is skewed slightly towards the Wild, which you pretty much have to be in order to be a beat writer. You don't want to be a homer, but you can't be antagonistic or apathetic towards the team.

but you can the more of the market share you hold. there are also personal bridges you probably don't want to burn with players that wouldn't affect team access but might make it less easy to pull quotes from players. He does a pretty good job balancing but the fact that you think he's skewed toward the team...I choose to believe that's just him being realistic and not a reactionary crazy person.

Slick Willy*

Probably the best win of the year yesterday. With three of our top guys out and against one of our foes. Couldn't have done it though without Kuemper playing like he did.

Just goes to show you how important a solid goaltender is.

Slick Willy*

Anyone else think that Byfuglien is better than Suter after watching last night?

Why wasn't Byfuglien on our SOchi team?

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Probably the best game I've seen the Wild play in well over a month. The first period stunk, but they had great energy the rest of the way. The fourth line actually looked good as they were winning battles for the puck and keeping it in the O zone. Scandella looks like a beast right now, Weber 2.0. He needs to be on the #1 PP instead of Suter. Spurgeon and Kuemper had their best games in a long time too.

I disagree. I didnt think we played particularily well, IMO.
We beat a team on a fluke goal and were completely dominated by a team in the third period (doubled up on shots)that was missing their top 4 dmen and their best player(Kane).
Picture us playing a game without Suter/Scandella/Spurgeon/Brodin and Parise. Without Kuemper on this night being extremely hot we lose by a couple !

Happy for the win, having that little extra grit/physicality(suttter, Graovac ) sure helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad