Signing(s): Lamar Jackson signs long term extension with the Ravens

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
He's only started 12 games in each of the last 2 years. This is a bad contract for the Ravens.
Yup.. but I think it's consistent with the current market (mentality). It seems like there is a desperation in getting a star secured now. The idea of developing/risking a lower profile prospect is going extinct in the league.

Jackson is missing a significant amount of games.. in 2022 he was 27th in total passing yards, 24th in completion %, 16th in passing TDs.. all lower tier stats for a starter. His rushing stats were more impressive 2nd in QB rushing yards, and 9th in rushing TDs. But missing games, sub-par passing stats, viewed as a disgruntled employee/teammate by the end of the season.. his punishment: is becoming the highest paid QB in the league.
My opinion, this contract was a desperate decision by Baltimore: but I'm not surprised by it. And I do like that he didn't need a traditional agent arrangement to get his huge payday. I think it's funny how he was dogged by critics for using his mom. Because those naive critics didn't understand that Jackson was gonna get over on Baltimore no matter who was representing him.
These huge contracts are very much about optics.. teams feel obligated to sign high profile QBs, even if they're underperforming (so negotiating advantage to quarterbacks). And the media is hyper-vigilant to any sign of slighting against Black players, so additional negotiating advantage to Black quarterbacks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jackson was always going to get paid. Just a matter of how much and structure. His earnings will always get compared to Allen because they were in the same draft class and both high end QBs. One signed at the first opportunity, the other played out the rookie deal at $1.7 mill in year 4 and the 5th year option.

See at the end of a decade how close they are earnings (after the rookie wage difference is factored out)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not having an agent definitely cost him a lot of money

That said, I can’t imagine there’s much of a lifestyle difference between making 200M and 300M
It was a tough compromise, now only his grand kids will be set for life now, not his great grand kids.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is this the biggest contract ever for a running back?
Early indications now that the details are out, appear to be a very good contract. Waiting on Florio to do a breakdown of the cash flow similar to what he did with Hurts contract.

As for the no tag and no trade clauses, the no trade is more valuable IMO. He controls whether the Ravens have to cut him or not. They can't just try to move off him. Because, with the no tag clause, that only plays if he plays out the full 5 years of the contract, which is highly unlikely. If he is that good the Ravens would look to extend him and restructure the contract before that happens. Probably more likely to get cut than play out the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad