Signing(s): Lamar Jackson signs long term extension with the Ravens

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And he is still an idiot for doing so, he could have signed a new deal like Josh Allen did and gotten big money sooner and not play on the 5th yr option

After 5 yrs Allen has made 85 million and Lamar has made 32
Even subtracting the draft slot difference of around $10 mill between 7 to 32 OA. Allen has made way more. See on 3 years who will have made more cause Allen is going to get restructured within 2 years.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lamar won’t be the highest paid player ever very long anyways.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
And he is still an idiot for doing so, he could have signed a new deal like Josh Allen did and gotten big money sooner and not play on the 5th yr option

I mean, he waited and got offered 52 more million guaranteed than what the original offer was. So if he’s an idiot for waiting and getting more money, I guess so.

How soon is Burrow eligible for a deal? Do both Burrow and Herbert surpass Lamar?
They are now and whenever they sign, they’ll pass them. It’s why it’s always worth locking up your QB early

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I mean, he waited and got offered 52 more million guaranteed than what the original offer was. So if he’s an idiot for waiting and getting more money, I guess so.

They are now and whenever they sign, they’ll pass them. It’s why it’s always worth locking up your QB early

Well he played last year for less money so yeah, he can never make that up, he made 23m in 2022 and Allen made 47m, that year is gone, and Allen is also a year closer to a restructure/extension, so he basically wasted a prime money making year by dragging it out

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Well he played last year for less money so yeah, he can never make that up, he made 23m in 2022 and Allen made 47m, that year is gone, and Allen is also a year closer to a restructure/extension, so he basically wasted a prime money making year by dragging it out
How? The offer before this year was 133m guaranteed. He played a year on the option and got offered 52m more guaranteed. So if he signed earlier, yes he would’ve made more money right away, but less over the term of the contract.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
How? The offer before this year was 133m guaranteed. He played a year on the option and got offered 52m more guaranteed. So if he signed earlier, yes he would’ve made more money right away, but less over the term of the contract.

More immediately means your next big deal comes up sooner, the 133 guarantee would have been what probably over 3 years? So he would have made 45 a year for 3 years and been ready to renegotiate again after next year, he played last year and got beat up for 23m

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
More immediately means your next big deal comes up sooner, the 133 guarantee would have been what probably over 3 years? So he would have made 45 a year for 3 years and been ready to renegotiate again after next year, he played last year and got beat up for 23m
Everyone in this thread is saying how Lamar is a part time player and how he’s always hurt. Wouldn’t it be smarter he tried getting more money on what’s most likely his last contract?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Everyone in this thread is saying how Lamar is a part time player and how he’s always hurt. Wouldn’t it be smarter he tried getting more money on what’s most likely his last contract?
Not if he got hurt in the process. That is what dragged this out so long. He’s 3 full years removed from mvp plus he missed 10 games in the past 2 years. How many did he miss after 3 years?

Again, in comparisons to Allen we shall see who makes more (subtracting the difference in the draft slotting contract). Allen signed after 3 years Jackson after 5. Allen will likely be up for a restructure in 2025 off season at the latest. Always want to get the money coming on asap.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

I guess if you are assuming he gets hurt and is done in 3-4 years maybe, but he's only 26, he should have another 10 years in him

He got a ton of cash, so good for him, I'd have durability concerns if I was the Ravens but I certainly understand why they did it, when healthy he is a dynamic player, I'd just prefer getting the deal done with my franchise player with a little less acrimony and drama

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Not if he got hurt in the process. That is what dragged this out so long. He’s 3 full years removed from mvp plus he missed 10 games in the past 2 years. How many did he miss after 3 years?

Again, in comparisons to Allen we shall see who makes more (subtracting the difference in the draft slotting contract). Allen signed after 3 years Jackson after 5. Allen will likely be up for a restructure in 2025 off season at the latest. Always want to get the money coming on asap.
If he got hurt sure, but he waited one year and got 52m more guaranteed. If teams restructure and renegotiate contracts to give you more money, you’d have to do something for them. With how everyone complains about how Lamar is always hurt, you think the ravens will be jumping to give him more guaranteed money in year 3?

The argument here is that he should’ve accepted a contract right away, to potentially get more on a second contract. How many people here think Lamar is gonna get a big second contract?

I guess if you are assuming he gets hurt and is done in 3-4 years maybe, but he's only 26, he should have another 10 years in him

He got a ton of cash, so good for him, I'd have durability concerns if I was the Ravens but I certainly understand why they did it, when healthy he is a dynamic player, I'd just prefer getting the deal done with my franchise player with a little less acrimony and drama
That’s kinda my point to this, I love Lamar. But do we really think his body/play style holds up for ten more years?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he got hurt sure, but he waited one year and got 52m more guaranteed. If teams restructure and renegotiate contracts to give you more money, you’d have to do something for them. With how everyone complains about how Lamar is always hurt, you think the ravens will be jumping to give him more guaranteed money in year 3?

The argument here is that he should’ve accepted a contract right away, to potentially get more on a second contract. How many people here think Lamar is gonna get a big second contract?

That’s kinda my point to this, I love Lamar. But do we really think his body/play style holds up for ten more years?
I still don't know what the hold up was from 2021 to now. At the time that he was eligible for a new deal there were the Allen, Mahomes, Watson (Houston extension), Goff, Wentz deals on the books for him to go off of. Watson (Cleveland) deal didn't occur until 2022.

This dragged on way longer than it should have for both sides.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
If the Ravens were in the NFC East instead of the Cowboys, we'd have Jackson VS. Hurts twice a year. That could be a huge rivalry.
We have Watson v Jackson ,one will be getting punked on the regular which will make one of these deals look bad and if it's Watson it will look even more hilarious

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Not having an agent definitely cost him a lot of money

That said, I can’t imagine there’s much of a lifestyle difference between making 200M and 300M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad