Confirmed Trade: [LAK/NSH] Viktor Arvidsson for 2021 2nd Rounder & 2022 3rd Rounder

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
I get the concept, but I’m surprised 30 other teams wouldn’t offer something like a B prospect who can actually help you get younger, sooner, rather than picks that are 3+ years out. Arvidsson’s not that old and GMs seem to love reclamation projects. With a reasonable cap hit as well, I’m just surprised.
This is definitely expansion related. They decided to move on from Arvidsson, and rather than expose him they took what they could get.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
You think Buffalo won't want Byfield + 8OA and Bjornfot and something else?

What they want and what they'll get are likely two very different things if their buyers are less desperate than Buffalo is. In a trade between Buffalo and LA, I'd say LA has the upper hand. Sure, they could use Eichel. Everyone'd like an Eichel on their team. But with Kopitar, Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi, Lizotte, and Anderson-Dolan, he's not an urgent need.

The best thing for Buffalo would be to get division rivals like Anaheim and LA or the Rangers and Devils into a bidding war.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
What they want and what they'll get are likely two very different things if their buyers are less desperate than Buffalo is. In a trade between Buffalo and LA, I'd say LA has the upper hand. Sure, they could use Eichel. Everyone'd like an Eichel on their team. But with Kopitar, Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi, Lizotte, and Anderson-Dolan, he's not an urgent need.

The best thing for Buffalo would be to get division rivals like Anaheim and LA or the Rangers and Devils into a bidding war.

There are no bidding wars for LA. We are not in on Eichel. Can't carry 3 x 10 million players after the trade we just made.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He was on pace for 48 goals in 2018-19. Now that he's away from John Hynes system and if he's free from injuries, he will definitely put up 30 goals in a top 6 role and 1st PP time.
Arvy is not good on the PP other than if you are willing to stick him in front of the net and get beat up even more. Trust me, we tried him all season long and he was just awful. If he is going to get 30 LA is going to need to play a system that can feed him long bombs so he can get breakaways. Even this past season that is what most of them were coming on. The rest will basically be tap in type goals and then you pray he doesn't get nailed again.

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
Isn't there an unwritten rule that teams don't make trades during the playoffs to avoid being a distraction?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Isn't there an unwritten rule that teams don't make trades during the playoffs to avoid being a distraction?
Yeah, we wondered about that. You'd think they would normally wait... it might only be 4 more days. It suggests to me one or both teams ARE indeed working on other things, and with the deadline for Expansion protection lists 2 weeks out, they didn't want to use up any runway being polite, they want their asset portfolio and Expansion status clear throughout their remaining negotiation time on those other moves.
:dunno:

NoelVilla

Feb 25, 2019
Instead of giving Seattle a draft pick to not pick player-X Nashville went proactive and got 2 picks and solved their protection issues. The trade is not good value but it is before an Expansion Draft-market. I actually like it for Nashville.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
He was on pace for 48 goals in 2018-19. Now that he's away from John Hynes system and if he's free from injuries, he will definitely put up 30 goals in a top 6 role and 1st PP time.

That season was such a fluke. Love the player but he'll be lucky to sniff 30 again.

edit: just to clarify, I don't like the trade for NSH. Arvy is awesome

Reactions: ricardfromage

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Nobody talks about Brendan Gallagher's production. He brings so much more that points. Don't under estimate players that bring leadership, heart and grit. There are intangibles to these types of players. This is a sneaky good pick up for the Kings, probably caught other teams napping during the playoffs here and avoided a bidding war.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
What are “extra picks” when you are rebuilding though? The price was good but idk why the Kings were the ones that paid it.

They still have a 2nd in this draft and maybe even a 3rd. This deal isn’t much more than they received for Carter. They have a good prospect pool with only so many open contract spots and can afford to upgrade the NHL roster. I’m sure they don’t want to rush their kids and free agency isn’t really an option for LA to improve.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Hall had his best offensive year by far and won the Hart trophy under John Hynes. Although I do agree Arvy will bounce back.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Price is set b4 expansion draft.....

Wpg trades Copp to Detroit for NYR 2 Nd this year and a 3 rd next year.....

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Steal for LA. The teams that needed forwards were caught napping here. Hard to believe that someone wouldn't pony up a late first +.

That's pre expansion pricing for you. Very few teams had the ability to add Arvidsson without exposing an equally valuable asset.

Reactions: NoelVilla

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I would’ve figured he could at least get a 1st in the 20-30 range but was also surprised looking at his numbers the past few years.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
I would’ve figured he could at least get a 1st in the 20-30 range but was also surprised looking at his numbers the past few years.
Well the 2nd is #39 and if you packaged that with a 3rd I would imagine you could trade up into that range so the value here is about a late 1st

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Well the 2nd is #39 and if you packaged that with a 3rd I would imagine you could trade up into that range so the value here is about a late 1st
Edit: oops wrong reply

Still, costs more assets to trade up. I don’t think this was an absolute steal as a lot of people are saying but I do think Poile undervalued him

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00