Prospect Info: LAK Draft (2nd, 2020) C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
what! Fully disagree. what makes Kopitar elite is his defensive play. Richards was a stud because of it too.
Yeah two way play is overrated. What makes a forward good is whether or not they can make plays, distribute the puck, get to scoring areas and score. I think vilardi possesses all those traits and I'd rather have vilardi at his current level than turned into a defensive stalwart. I wish Kopitars offensive spark was reignited. He was a beast when he came into the league. Was it his defense that tampered with him or his paycheck?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And all I was repeating was what was reported. I am aware it's too early to truly compare the players.

Right, I was reaffirming what you were saying re: the Kings staff, didn't mean for it to come off like a disagreement.

I really don't dislike the kid, I think he is going to be a good NHL player but I think there is a real chance he gets traded, no fault of his own but I just don't think the Kings can wait for him to develop if it's going to be a slower development than most players taken that high. The Kings are just in such a bad spot with the huge age gap between Byfield and Co and AK and DD. Obviously something has to open up but Buffalo is such a disaster that I think Eichel may demand a trade this offseason, he won't say it now because it just adds to the mess and isn't fair to his teammates but I really think it's the absolute perfect fit for the Kings. And Buffalo would much rather send him west than send him across the state.

I don't think you're wrong as to the Eichel dynamic. I just don't think they would have drafted him if they weren't prepared to let him marinate.

Reactions: VILARGOD

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Hey LA fans. Whats your take on Byfield so far in the AHL? I havnt had a chance to watch any Ontario games
checking out his stats and I dont like seeing the -11. this have anything to do with the team overall or Byfield?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Hey LA fans. Whats your take on Byfield so far in the AHL? I havnt had a chance to watch any Ontario games
checking out his stats and I dont like seeing the -11. this have anything to do with the team overall or Byfield?

He's playing like an 18 year old playing professional games for the first time. Now overall the team has been pretty atrocious defensively, and that's putting it lightly. But he's got 7 points in 11 games and there are times where he looks like the best forward out there. Sure you'd like to see him take a little bit more control of the game and be a little bit more decisive, but the talent is there.

Another big thing about the Reign is that there are A LOT of first year pros on the team and not a whole lot of veteran leadership throughout the lineup. As much talent that is down there, there's a lot more inexperience. The fact that we're getting him AHL minutes at this age is very good for him.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
He's playing like an 18 year old playing professional games for the first time. Now overall the team has been pretty atrocious defensively, and that's putting it lightly. But he's got 7 points in 11 games and there are times where he looks like the best forward out there. Sure you'd like to see him take a little bit more control of the game and be a little bit more decisive, but the talent is there.

Another big thing about the Reign is that there are A LOT of first year pros on the team and not a whole lot of veteran leadership throughout the lineup. As much talent that is down there, there's a lot more inexperience. The fact that we're getting him AHL minutes at this age is very good for him.
Awesome thanks. I took him 2nd overall in my Dynasty League and cant wait to see him play, I assume most likely next season? Thanks for the info man

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Awesome thanks. I took him 2nd overall in my Dynasty League and cant wait to see him play, I assume most likely next season? Thanks for the info man

I can't imagine him being in juniors next year, I feel like that would be a total waste, but then again, with how weird things have been with this draft year, it's truly hard to say.

I still think he'll get a few games this year before the O starts, if ever

Edit: to elaborate--I know a few posters here will say 'no one was ever hurt by staying in juniors too long' and I tend to agree. So I'd be begrudgingly ok with it. But I feel like he has pretty much nothing else to do in juniors, all his challenges/growth have been against tougher comp. Seeing how they handled Turcotte (getting him pro and to our devteam quickly) makes me think Byfield will be around the big club in full next year.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I can't imagine him being in juniors next year, I feel like that would be a total waste, but then again, with how weird things have been with this draft year, it's truly hard to say.

I still think he'll get a few games this year before the O starts, if ever

Edit: to elaborate--I know a few posters here will say 'no one was ever hurt by staying in juniors too long' and I tend to agree. So I'd be begrudgingly ok with it. But I feel like he has pretty much nothing else to do in juniors, all his challenges/growth have been against tougher comp. Seeing how they handled Turcotte (getting him pro and to our devteam quickly) makes me think Byfield will be around the big club in full next year.

In the last 10 years, the only top 3 pick to not play his D+2 season in the NHL was Dylan Strome (he played 7 games).

If Byfield is not in the NHL next season we probably have some major major concerns. He should 100% be with the Kings.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
In the last 10 years, the only top 3 pick to not play his D+2 season in the NHL was Dylan Strome (he played 7 games).

If Byfield is not in the NHL next season we probably have some major major concerns. He should 100% be with the Kings.

Agree, but no other top-3 picks until now have had to deal with losing half their draft season and half their D+1 either.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I just keep waiting for a dominant performance. For him to be a driving force. We will see how he fairs if sent back to juniors but I get more skeptical as time passes.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Lafreniere was the 1st overall pick for all 31 teams. If he's such a great pundit, why not say that right after the draft?

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
It's been said Stutzle was more ready than Byfield.

The past 2 months change nothing.

A lot of context is needed for the Stützle/Lafreniere debate as well, Stützle is playing a prominent role on a dreadful team, while Lafreniere is playing on a better team in significantly better division.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Lafreniere was the 1st overall pick for all 31 teams. If he's such a great pundit, why not say that right after the draft?

I'm not usually one to defend Bernstein

But, he's not saying teams were wrong or that he had Stutzle #1. He is just making an observation that Stutzle has thus far completely blown Laf and QB out of the water.

There is no denying that Stutzle is a star, anyone who has seen him play this season could see that. If the draft were re-held today he is the #1 pick.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Well, Yannetti had said it was his toughest call he's had to make...and when he and his team spoke with Rob, Rob told them what he wanted in terms of building the team - and then Yannetti said, then that player is Byfield. It was Rob's call. I'm fine with it...but I just felt there is no way you can go wrong, with the skating, skill, hands and vision Stutzle possesses. His one possible drawback was his shot and goal scoring prowess...the 7 goals in 41 DEL games....but, it still should be noted, it's still a 17 /18 year old playing in a pro league...and yet, he's running the PP.

Part of the 'lack' of high goals, is that he's playing with 30 year old AHL has beens...AND, Stutzle had 23 goals in 21 games in the lower league, the year before and his shot WAS adequate...but now, goalies are better and it's not so easy to score goals. I bet he never had to work extra hard on his shot...but now, could work on that. Achieving a better shot with power and accuracy can be achieved...whereas going from average hockey IQ, to elite, is not something one can achieve...or go from a good skater, to elite skater, is not easy or ever achieved. I also thought, going from 30 year old AHL wingers, to top 6 NHL linemates, he's going to be even better. Some scouts that had Lafren #1, said that if anyone ever overtakes him from this class, it will be Stutzle.

The thing with Stutzle is more ready to play in the NHL...that was true - but the thing that bugs me about what some attach to that, is "that means Byfield has more upside and let's see how this plays out in 3 years"....well, just because Stutzle is more ready, does not mean he will not continue to have as much upside as anyone else. He could be part Patrick Kane, part Kucherov, part ? in 3 years.

Since this is Quinton's thread, I feel that he will get stronger and better at everything. He's no bust. Please. It's just going to take some time. There have been a few 19 year olds that
do well in the AHL, but not many. Going from Sudbury to the AHL is a big step at 18. New system, new teammates, higher level, new environment. It's not like he's failing.
I like the work ethic and his working with Gary Roberts, etc. The Kings staff will help him succeed.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm not usually one to defend Bernstein

But, he's not saying teams were wrong or that he had Stutzle #1. He is just making an observation that Stutzle has thus far completely blown Laf and QB out of the water.

There is no denying that Stutzle is a star, anyone who has seen him play this season could see that. If the draft were re-held today he is the #1 pick.

Yes. Draft redos are indeed at their best 5 months later.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
816 players have played at least one AHL game this season. Now that number includes goaltenders who all register a +/- of 0. That being said, Quinton Byfield is the only player in the entire AHL that is in double digits in the league in the minus category at -13, and he is dead last of all 816 players. There is a reason you don't see many 18 year olds in the NBA or MLB, or AAA in baseball. This is a learning opportunity (being able to play pro hockey) for a player that was not ready to play at this level yet (as most scouts almost said after the draft). This is not a bash Byfield post. He needs to embrace this learning opportunity afforded to him to understand the pro game is played at both ends of the rink and grow from it, whether he goes back to the OHL or not this year or next. He has shown some brilliant flashes of skill against men, particularly with his passing abilities. But his overall game will need a lot of maturation. Patience is required.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
816 players have played at least one AHL game this season. Now that number includes goaltenders who all register a +/- of 0. That being said, Quinton Byfield is the only player in the entire AHL that is in double digits in the league in the minus category at -13, and he is dead last of all 816 players. There is a reason you don't see many 18 year olds in the NBA or MLB, or AAA in baseball. This is a learning opportunity (being able to play pro hockey) for a player that was not ready to play at this level yet (as most scouts almost said after the draft). This is not a bash Byfield post. He needs to embrace this learning opportunity afforded to him to understand the pro game is played at both ends of the rink and grow from it, whether he goes back to the OHL or not this year or next. He has shown some brilliant flashes of skill against men, particularly with his passing abilities. But his overall game will need a lot of maturation. Patience is required.

All of this, plus Byfield has nowhere else to play. Even a slew of highly drafted kids in the NHL are taking a beating in plus/minus. Dahlin -22, Q. Hughes -16, Stützle -16. These are all among the worst in the league.

It’s a learning experience for all of them, and playing in the AHL as a teen is going to have its challenges.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I like the idea of potentially trading Byfield for Eichel. You get a sure shot dynamic player vs a player who has the potential of not living up to his hype.

If the Kings want to compete with Kopitar still being good, then they will pull that trade. If they're building long term, they keep Byfield and hope he becomes a good NHL player.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yes. Draft redos are indeed at their best 5 months later.

So you’re saying he is wrong or that we are supposed to just ignore what Stutzle in particular is doing?

I was strongly behind drafting QB myself, but let’s be honest here, based on what TS has shown in the NHL there is zero chance the Kings are still making the same pick. I know some people hate to admit stuff like that, but come on, how can you think otherwise?

Reactions: ibleedkings

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I was pretty high on Stützle but if LA would have made another choice than Byfield due to Stützle being very good two months into the season...than we can better quit.

Why? It's obvious he is a very special player. It didn't take 3 years to realize that Kopitar and Kane were going to be superstars, you just watch them play in the NHL and you could see it, Stutzle is the same type of player as Kane, they both make those passes that we as fans can see from our couch or you can see sitting in the 300 sections but very few people in the world can see at the ice level.

And it's not a knock on the Kings or their scouting process, would say the same thing about the Rangers, and they took the consensus #1 player. I don't blame either team or say they made the wrong decision at the time, I think much like Kopitar a decade and a half before there were other circumstances that in hindsight made him fall and this situation is probably similar. But it didn't take Kopitar playing 2 seasons in the NHL to see it, it took closer to one game.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I can't understand why you all keep going about this. Every opinion I read from any 'expert' had Byfield in the top three, if not #2. So, let's not act like the Kings went off the grid here...

It will take YEARS before we can accurately compare who was the better pick....YEARS. Just look at Vilardi, he was drafted 4 years ago. Just stop already...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad