Prospect Info: LAK Draft (128th, 2020) LW Martin Chromiak, Kingston Frontenacs, OHL

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Villardi doesn't concern me. He missed too much time in the past to expect linear growth or something. We will have to be patient as his game has its ups and downs, and he improves in bits and bursts.

Prefacing this with the fact I like Vilardi.

The flip side to this argument is that he has missed too much time in the past--and this year with the shortened schedule--that his development has been damaged.

Not saying it is true but I applaud and am envious of anyone who is not even a little concerned about Vilardi's performance this season.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The concern with Vilardi is more how he fell apart, but that happens to young players. They aren't used to the season for one, it's a grind even if it's shorter. When you come in, other players are unfamiliar with you so you have an advantage. Once other teams see you as a threat they will figure out how to cover you. There are lots of factors going on. Couple that with the fact that his tools are more suited towards a winger and you get these results.

Now if he continues to fall apart and can't adjust, then the worry starts in earnest.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I'm not concerned about Vilardi. The skill level is obviously there. I see it surface in every game when he's got the puck. The main problem with Vilardi (besides the fact that he's still young in actual playing time and will be inconsistent) is how he's been deployed this season. I don't like the linemates he's been given and it's never the same linemates for long. I think to benefit him and his development, you've got to build a line around him, not throw together 3 pieces and hope they fit. Put players on his wing that complement his style of play. Last season it was Frk and Kempe. Guys that can maintain possession and cycle. Having him center 2 speedy wingers who lose possession of the puck before he enters the zone is not a recipe for success. I'm glad Kempe is back on his wing (for now).

Vilardi is one of your top prospects, you cater to his style if necessary. It's not like there isn't personnel on the roster who can fit with him. For example, I bet he would kick ass with Iaffalo on his wing. Iaffalo does exactly what Vilardi needs on his line for Kopi. Enters the zone with speed and maintains possession until Kopi shows up. Excellent on the cycle as well. I'm not opposed to him playing at wing either if the linemates make sense.

Last edited:

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'm not concerned about Vilardi. The skill level is obviously there. I see it surface in every game when he's got the puck. The main problem with Vilardi (besides the fact that he's still young in actual playing time and will be inconsistent) is how he's been deployed this season. I don't like the linemates he's been given and it's never the same linemates for long. I think to benefit him and his development, you've got to build a line around him, not throw together 3 pieces and hope they fit. Put players on his wing that complement his style of play. Last season it was Frk and Kempe. Guys that can maintain possession and cycle. Having him center 2 speedy wingers who lose possession of the puck before he enters the zone is not a recipe for success. I'm glad Kempe is back on his wing (for now). Vilardi is one of your top prospects, you cater to his style if necessary. It's not like there isn't personnel on the roster who can fit with him. For example, I bet he would kick ass with Iaffalo on his wing. Iaffalo does exactly what Vilardi needs on his line for Kopi. Enters the zone with speed and maintains possession until Kopi shows up. Excellent on the cycle as well. I'm not opposed to him playing at wing either if the linemates make sense.
I’ll bet he kicks more ass with Iafallo AND Kopitar.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

The flip side to this argument is that he has missed too much time in the past--and this year with the shortened schedule--that his development has been damaged.

Not saying it is true but I applaud and am envious of anyone who is not even a little concerned about Vilardi's performance this season.
Vilardi does need a bit of a break out season, and I don't mean anything crazy. Something like 15 to 20 goals, and 25 - 35 assists would be good.

I like the kid's vision when he is attacking down the middle of the ice with the puck on his stick, as he makes the other forwards he is playing with more dangerous. When he makes a pass the player receiving it is usually in a good position to do something with it.

If he is forced to make the transition to wing, his board play concerns me as there will be a learning curve.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Vilardi does need a bit of a break out season, and I don't mean anything crazy. Something like 15 to 20 goals, and 25 - 35 assists would be good.

I like the kid's vision when he is attacking down the middle of the ice with the puck on his stick, as he makes the other forwards he is playing with more dangerous. When he makes a pass the player receiving it is usually in a good position to do something with it.

If he is forced to make the transition to wing, his board play concerns me as there will be a learning curve.

As Gabe's conditioning goes, so will go Gabe's game. While he thought he was in top shape last year, the reality soon became apparent. He still runs out of gas too early in his shift's and with his skating being extremely average at best, that's not a good combo. His body language also was a bit discouraging, for the first time in his life (as the season dragged on) he struggled offensively. If we see improvements in those areas, and with some decent wingers and PP time, he will score, he's too talented not to be effective at this level.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I'm not really worried about that because that was something he was absolutely f***ing dominant at in junior, walking out of puck battles 1v3 with the puck. Learning curve, very surely.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Now there's a sleeper (Chromiak)....question: is he going to be on the Reign? Or was that just a tryout and he's going to be in Slovakia?

I thought it was cool that Brandt Clarke said Chromiak was one of the players that texted him. (probably via Twitter, I surmise)
That's pretty cool and shows that Chromiak is 'thinking Kings'

Last edited:

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Now there's a sleeper (Chromiak)....question: is he going to be on the Reign? Or was that just a tryout and he's going to be in Slovakia?

I thought it was cool that Brandt Clarke said Chromiak was one of the players that texted him. (probably via Twitter, I surmise)

Just a guess, but I thought it was option 3?

Back to juniors. (Kingston?)

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Just a guess, but I thought it was option 3?

Back to juniors. (Kingston?)

It's weird with Chromiak, because in his draft year, he played in both Europe then in the OHL.

However, with COVID, he was "loaned" back to Slovakia. Which couldn't happen unless the Fronts owned his rights.

So my guess is it's either NHL or OHL for him.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Given age and price tag I’d be WAY more concerned about Eichel than I would be about Vilardi.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
It's weird with Chromiak, because in his draft year, he played in both Europe then in the OHL.

However, with COVID, he was "loaned" back to Slovakia. Which couldn't happen unless the Fronts owned his rights.

It seems like he will go back to kingston, however I wonder how much it will help him. He will get top minutes and probably form one of the top lines in the CHL with Wright and “x”

Reactions: andys

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Between Chromiak and Simontaival I’m actually pretty excited for our unheralded winger prospect pool. They both seem like such smart players in watching them play internationally.

True....it's like 'the 8 forwards' the Kings have in Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Madden, Kupari, Fagemo, Thomas and Pinelli...and then there's Chromiak, Simontaival and Huselius.
Crazy. You could remove ANY 5 of the 11 and the remaining 6 would be a better pool than many a teams' prospects. Not even talking defensemen - Faber, Clarke, Grans...Spence.

Would be interesting if Chromiak surpasses several and is scoring 20+ goals on the Kings in 3 years.

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
True....it's like 'the 8 forwards' the Kings have in Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Madden, Kupari, Fagemo, Thomas and Pinelli...and then there's Chromiak, Simontaival and Huselius.
Crazy. You could remove ANY 5 of the 11 and the remaining 6 would be a better pool than many a teams' prospects. Not even talking defensemen - Faber, Clarke, Grans...Spence.

Would be interesting if Chromiak surpasses several and is scoring 20+ goals on the Kings in 3 years.

I mean at least a couple of them gotta hit pay dirt right? RIGHT????

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place

Are we bringing Kristian Huselius out of retirement too?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

I think M Chromiak is better served playing Pro in Slovakia than the Kingston Frontenacs juniors! A couple of years there then a short stint in AHL Ontario will get him ready better than going Juniors,than Ontario for 2-3 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad