Prospect Info: LAK Draft (128th, 2020) LW Martin Chromiak, Kingston Frontenacs, OHL

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Slovakian winger Martin Chromiak was the second overall pick in the 2019 CHL Import Draft. He chose to spend half the season with HK Dukla Trencin in the Slovakian men’s league, putting up five goals and six points in 32 games before joining the Kingston Frontenacs. Chromiak made an instant impact in the OHL with 11 goals and 22 assists for 33 points in 28 games. He was also an important part of Slovakian national teams. Chromiak scored five goals and 10 assists for 15 points in 14 games with the Under-20 team. He also scored two goals and six points in five games with the Under-18 team. Chromiak had two goals and five points in four games at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup.

Last season Chromiak was one of the best players in the Slovakian Under-20 league at just 16-years-old. He scored 22 goals and 46 points in 39 games. In the playoffs he put up nine goals and 17 points in 15 games, leading Dukla Trencin to the U-20 Championship. He also played at the Hlinka-Gretzky, scoring two goals and four points in four games, and at the IIHF Under-18, putting up two goals and three points in seven games.

Martin Chromiak Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #59

Reactions: Legionnaire

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
How the hell did this guy drop so far? It's like all the GMs expected him to go in the 2nd round and then forgot about him completely.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
So we basically get Lias Andersson and Chromiak for the 60th and the 128th. Works for me

Reactions: KINGS17

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Ducks fan here in peace. A bummer that you guys picked him right before us. But as a close follower of Slovak prospects, I can say this was a steal this late. Despite being a year younger, he's already better than Maxim Cajkovic (3rd round pick by Tampa Bay last year).

So with this pick, I think you're looking at a player who should have been picked no later than in the 3rd. This guy has middle six upside, with the potential to play a complementary scoring role higher up.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I thought he could be a second or third round pick. Can't believe we snagged him in the fifth.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He will probably want that draft interview back :laugh:, but clearly English isn't his first language. Hopefully, he can put it all together and put up some points in Ontario soon enough.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Did he almost start crying there? If so, that's very sweet. But I honestly don't know why he fell this far. Great skillset and good size. Seemingly no problems adjusting to North American ice. Should be a great pick. Rooting for the guy.

Reactions: degustator

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He will probably want that draft interview back :laugh:, but clearly English isn't his first language. Hopefully, he can put it all together and put up some points in Ontario soon enough.

Was it language and not emotions? I'm not sure...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't think it was any of the two. I get anxiety attacks when I speak in front of people and he looked like he was being very nervous when he stopped talking. I can see why his interviews were bad and that made him slip to the 5th round.

Ah. That's possible, too. But if that's the case he could have just declined the interview. Anyway, this shouldn't affect his hockey so if I was a GM, I wouldn't let that affect my decision.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
upload_2020-10-7_14-34-57.png

Reactions: andys

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
I don't think it was any of the two. I get anxiety attacks when I speak in front of people and he looked like he was being very nervous when he stopped talking. I can see why his interviews were bad and that made him slip to the 5th round.

Shades of our old friend and leader Dave Taylor =)

I'm old enough to remember a rookie interview with Dave Taylor and Rob Palmer. Dave was under the lights and it took a toll on him. But he battled through it and finished the interview. Just like he did through life.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Craig Button had him at #41 overall. Today is another great day for the Kings. So many good picks that have high upside. Chromiak had 33 pts in 28 games with Kingston and was plus/minus 0....while several on the team were minus 30 or worse! 8 were minus 24 or worse.

Chromiak's offensive skill is obvious -- he owns an above-average shot and passing skills. With power and crafty placement, his one-timer is a legit weapon from range. Deft backhand passes through layers, and slip passes make him a set-up threat from anywhere. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He’s my favourite pick other than Byfield. He’s got great hand, a nice wrist shot and can dish the puck. On a very small sample size his game IQ looks decent. I only noticed him last weekend when going through some video whilst killing time and thought he looked good. I certainly figured he’d be a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: degustator

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Yannetti said that he was the only player that surprised him today that pretty much got who we were targeting with our picks this year.

Reactions: andys

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Yannetti said that he was the only player that surprised him today that pretty much got who we were targeting with our picks this year.
That’s interesting because it suggests the Kings don’t just go off of some long ranking, but go into the draft with specific players they want at each pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad