Prospect Info: LAK Draft (128th, 2020) LW Martin Chromiak, Kingston Frontenacs, OHL

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I think M Chromiak is better served playing Pro in Slovakia than the Kingston Frontenacs juniors! A couple of years there then a short stint in AHL Ontario will get him ready better than going Juniors,than Ontario for 2-3 years
He said he wants to win the OHL championship and go to win the memorial cup too. Kingston looks to have some pretty solid talent up front. I think it’s a possibility for them to do that. The Reign roster is so deep up front that he wouldn’t get much ice time. Kingston is better than Slovak league for developing skills tbh :DD

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
He said he wants to win the OHL championship and go to win the memorial cup too. Kingston looks to have some pretty solid talent up front. I think it’s a possibility for them to do that. The Reign roster is so deep up front that he wouldn’t get much ice time. Kingston is better than Slovak league for developing skills tbh :DD
I watched plenty of Dukla Trencin games last year and I believe young Chromiak would be better served playing pro than Juniors! Playing and training with Pros is a helluva lot better than the Junior scene IMHO!And Pro even at the Slovak level is better than any Junior/College circuit

Reactions: Faterson

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I'm not really worried about that because that was something he was absolutely f***ing dominant at in junior, walking out of puck battles 1v3 with the puck. Learning curve, very surely.
I know you love Vilardi and I happy he has come back from his stint in "hell" but...he's not a 2nd liner and the likes of Byfield,Kupari and Turcotte are the better options down the road

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I'm not really worried about that because that was something he was absolutely f***ing dominant at in junior, walking out of puck battles 1v3 with the puck. Learning curve, very surely.
In LA, Vilardi won very few puck battles on the boards from what I saw and I saw plenty Kings games

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I know you love Vilardi and I happy he has come back from his stint in "hell" but...he's not a 2nd liner and the likes of Byfield,Kupari and Turcotte are the better options down the road

It's still too early to say things like this. Kupari likely won't remain a center, and many are expecting Vilardi might be shuffled to wing this year. I agree that I think Byfield and Turcotte should be better, but Vilardi is still in the mix and you never know. His body of work thus far suggests a top 6 prospect. In 64 games he has 13G and 30P which isn't anything to sneeze at for a rookie overcoming what he's had to. He has a long road ahead of him, but to say that he isn't even a top 6 is going too far.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
This is the part where I trust my org’s front office, based on past record, to take care of business. From owner to GM to staff, I don’t believe we will have issue of money, foresight or effort to sign this guy if he’s worth it. This is the part, again, where I’m glad/grateful I’m a Kings fan.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
It's still too early to say things like this. Kupari likely won't remain a center, and many are expecting Vilardi might be shuffled to wing this year. I agree that I think Byfield and Turcotte should be better, but Vilardi is still in the mix and you never know. His body of work thus far suggests a top 6 prospect. In 64 games he has 13G and 30P which isn't anything to sneeze at for a rookie overcoming what he's had to. He has a long road ahead of him, but to say that he isn't even a top 6 is going too far.

You beat me to it. I was just about to post that even though I was not a fan of Vilardi's body language, effort and overall game, he still put up decent pts. There is still an NHL player in him with loads of talent and we saw some flashes of that last year. He's got some catching up to do but I think he is ready to take the next step.

Reactions: Vino

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
In LA, Vilardi won very few puck battles on the boards from what I saw and I saw plenty Kings games

Byfield and Kaliyev won very few puck battles in the NHL too. When Vilardi shows his potential, it's really fun to watch. He isn't living up to it yet, but he also just turned 22 yesterday. He still has plenty of time to figure it out.

In Dustin Brown's age 21 season, he scored 14 goals and 14 assists in 79 games. Vilardi just posted 10 goals and 13 assists in 54 games. Tyler Toffoli put up 12 goals and 17 assists in 62 games. Mike Richards put up 10 goals and 22 assists.

Most guys in the NHL aren't productive at 21. In fact, the only guys born in '99 or later that were more productive than Vilardi last season were Max Comtois, Martin Necas, Josh Norris, Jason Robertson, Nick Suzuki, Brady Tkachuk, Quinn Hughes, Joel Farabre, Andrei Svechnikov, Jack Hughes, and Tim Stützle. There's maybe another 10 players born in '98 who were more productive than Gabe.

Long story short, he's got plenty of room to grow. And happy belated birthday, Gabe.

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Byfield and Kaliyev won very few puck battles in the NHL too. When Vilardi shows his potential, it's really fun to watch. He isn't living up to it yet, but he also just turned 22 yesterday. He still has plenty of time to figure it out.

In Dustin Brown's age 21 season, he scored 14 goals and 14 assists in 79 games. Vilardi just posted 10 goals and 13 assists in 54 games. Tyler Toffoli put up 12 goals and 17 assists in 62 games. Mike Richards put up 10 goals and 22 assists.

Most guys in the NHL aren't productive at 21. In fact, the only guys born in '99 or later that were more productive than Vilardi last season were Max Comtois, Martin Necas, Josh Norris, Jason Robertson, Nick Suzuki, Brady Tkachuk, Quinn Hughes, Joel Farabre, Andrei Svechnikov, Jack Hughes, and Tim Stützle. There's maybe another 10 players born in '98 who were more productive than Gabe.

Long story short, he's got plenty of room to grow. And happy belated birthday, Gabe.

So many Kings fans just are obsessed with Gabe failing. First it's 'he'll never play a game in the NHL' (back)...now it's, 'he'll never live up to his potential'....lol, wtf.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Yes he's young but will he put it together in time to hold off the incoming Stars of tomorrow for the Kings? I think not! I would have dealt him and now Blake is left with what...a logjam at the most critical position...

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Last add on Gabe in this thread. I looked it up and Gabe's most common linemates were AA and Carter. And that was only 13% of the time. He was mixed and matched with so many different players throughout the whole season and it's no wonder he didn't have much chemistry with most of his linemates until he was paired with Iafallo and Lias Andersson and also Trevor Moore.

Gabe does things with the puck that nobody else on the team can currently do. It's up to TMc to actually figure out a way to maximize the potential of a player with uncommon vision and a good shot. If it's playing him on the wing, fine. If you're playing him at center you better play him with players that complement his skill-set. Gabe is a 20 goal 35 assist player waiting to happen.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Scored a hat trick and added an assist. He was directly involved in every goal Kingston scored in a 4-3 comeback win. His final goal was a Michigan, he has done that a few times now. So smooth, how he loses the defender first along the boards by changing his stride. He’s at 11 pts in 8 games and him and Wright aren’t even close to clicking yet.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Holy shit that was sexy. That was so smooth it might have gone in during an NHL game depending on the goalie and defense. Really nice move!

Reactions: Schrute farms

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I am sure when Blake calls other GMs to seek out a top 4 defenseman, they know he won't talk Byfield or Clarke...they probably think they can pry Chromiak....
Hang up the phone, Rob.

I love Chromiak and agree with the sentiment, but it depends on the defenseman... :P Not everyone can make the team. But I do love what we are seeing now from him. When we drafted him I was thinking third line, but it is clear that he can potentially excel on the top 6 if given the chance. Though, we've said that about a lot of prospects now, and our top 6 currently have none of them.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I love Chromiak and agree with the sentiment, but it depends on the defenseman... :P Not everyone can make the team. But I do love what we are seeing now from him. When we drafted him I was thinking third line, but it is clear that he can potentially excel on the top 6 if given the chance. Though, we've said that about a lot of prospects now, and our top 6 currently have none of them.

I also agree with your sentiment. All of them cannot make it and should be used as assets to get the missing pieces, ala Richards and Carter, as DL did. He did not even have as many pieces and used Jack Johnson, O'Sullivan (for Williams) Lubo for Stoll and Greene, Schenn and Simmonds was a hefty price for Richards...but the cost was worth 2 cups! Was so key to add Mitchell and then Regher, too.

Just 6 weeks ago, was unclear if Byfield could cut it this year, if Kaliyev could, if Kupari could take the step and ALL have had success. Then again, QB has not played a game this year. The game he was injured, he was one of the best on the ice. I think he can do this, if his ankle properly heals. The list we voted on was something like: (I am not going to look it up now) Byfield, Clarke, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Kupari, Madden, Thomas, Faber, Pinelli, Grans, Helenius, Chromiak...

And most were thinking Kupari could be the one to part with, as there's not much room for him and is he wing or center? And wowzetta. He's looked awesome and just getting
started. Amazing. Looks solid and in command now....and surely did not take long!

Last edited:
Reactions: Telos

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Lately, he´s doing very well. In the last five games, he has 3+3. He seems to be starting to get going in the AHL after his injury.

The thing with both Byfield and Chromiak, were their illnesses and both losing about 20 lbs. They are both trying to break in at higher levels (Chromiak from OHL to AHL) and Byfiled essentially from AHL to NHL and they need all the strength and weight they need to be playing at. Losing that much weight takes at least a few months to put on as muscle. They are both now, getting closer to where they were at months ago....it was a real setback for both.

Interesting to go up a few posts and read that Vilardi was "never going to be a top 6 forward or be able to win board battles". 1.5 years later, he certainly is and a beast on the boards and whilst playing line 3, he is a legit top 6 forward. I was among the unbelieivers, 1.5 years ago.

Reactions: Faterson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad