Prospect Info: LAK Draft (128th, 2020) LW Martin Chromiak, Kingston Frontenacs, OHL

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Saw Chromiak play numerous times during the year for Dukla Trencin. He played up and down the line up on a mostly veteran squad. Though he put up 19 points in 32 games I believe his would have scored many more had he been given regular duties and not spot duties which seemed to be the case on many instances. Chromiak is a playmaker and a very good skater! And his goal scoring will only get better! Though he lost a year of development at the CHL level his time in Slovakia was decent. When the 2021-22 kicks off I fully expect and believe that he's capable of scoring over 100 points. The question for me is,is he better off playing his natural LWing side or do the Kings want to convert him! I for one don't believe in righty righty and lefty lefty!Kings should want to develop Stars not fringe players playing their opposite Natural side!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
One of the videos that gets in depth with scouting him says he is somewhat similar to Jeff Carter because of his shot... loves to shoot, has a great shot, and not afraid to use it. :thumbu:
I wouldn't compare him to Carts! Not sure what the comparison would be at this point in his young and aspiring career

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Chromiak has been a scorer at every stage. Would like to see a patient route taken by the Kings and that might not include the AHL? Perhaps Slovakia,Switzerland,Sweden...like to see Martin put on some more muscle and be thrust into the NHL by say age 22-23 ala Kubalik and Kaprizov!!! Chromiak is a scorer and needs a playmaking Centre to bring that out in him

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The only question I have every time I see this thread bump is, are they gonna give him one of these helmets?

cut.jpg

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
According to some these are the perfect bargaining chips to sell off to bring in current talent (before we even know how these players will progress in our system).

Weird times around here.

Most people don't want to trade Byfield or Faber. The real issue though is that Blake is going to need to trade some of the prospects before knowing for sure what they will become as he can't just sit on his hands and hope they all pan out since they won't. By the time they stagnate, they will have less value in a trade.

Always betting on the potential v. the sure thing is what gets us a "Landeskog is nice but we can't trade LaDue" mindset. It doesn't mean to make stupid trades for modest instant gratification but there comes a time for calculated risks. Are we at that point yet? Easy to say no but it really depends on the prospects going the other way and the player coming back.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Most people don't want to trade Byfield or Faber. The real issue though is that Blake is going to need to trade some of the prospects before knowing for sure what they will become as he can't just sit on his hands and hope they all pan out since they won't. By the time they stagnate, they will have less value in a trade.

Always betting on the potential v. the sure thing is what gets us a "Landeskog is nice but we can't trade LaDue" mindset. It doesn't mean to make stupid trades for modest instant gratification but there comes a time for calculated risks. Are we at that point yet? Easy to say no but it really depends on the prospects going the other way and the player coming back.

There are cases to be made for both seeing which of our prospects round out and making calculated risks ala DL with the Viz for Stoll & Greene trade or Sully for JDub.

I'm against making moves just for the sake of making moves, especially given how far out our new wave of prospects are in relation to trying to win another cup with the old guard. To me, they are not congruent.

Reactions: dick341 and BigKing

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Well that's the trick isn't it? Identifying which young players/prospects you have that probably won't pan out, and moving them before the rest of the league figures out they're overrated/overvalued.

Basically like what Dean did with Hudson Fasching and Patrick O'Sullivan.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

He shouldn't wait until they all become what they can be, but he should wait until there are at least a couple who are NHL regulars and showing the capability to be the next wave of leadership.

Otherwise, if you trade too early and your traded assets become the NHL regulars, you inadvertently need to restart your rebuild.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He shouldn't wait until they all become what they can be, but he should wait until there are at least a couple who are NHL regulars and showing the capability to be the next wave of leadership.

Otherwise, if you trade too early and your traded assets become the NHL regulars, you inadvertently need to restart your rebuild.

Of course. That's where the scope of the deal comes in to play. We all like Kupari, JAD, Fagemo, Thomas but what if one of them and a pick gets you a guy that is an NHL regular and would enhance the culture etc? Not talking a grand slam sized deal since that can only happen if you think you are on the cusp (Schenn/Simmonds/1st for Richards) or if you are getting back an elite-level talent that is still young like Eichel before the injury.

I've been on board for Eichel in the sense that Blake needs to be calling on it or he isn't doing his job but the price could definitely be insane. It's funny on that Richards deal though...Schenn was the top ranked prospect in the world at the time of the trade so he was the one that was so worrisome to lose but then Simmonds became a force and I think the 1st was worthless. It's still a lot to give up but what's the comp on this team...Byfield/Kempe/1st? It's tough to say because Byfield is definitely a higher rated prospect at the time of the draft and the D + 1 year but Schenn was coming off the destruction of the WJC and good AHL Simmonds was younger than Kempe and had the toughness but he was putting up Kempe-like numbers, albeit in fewer minutes per game. The 1st this year is more valuable than the one in the Richards trade.

I'm not even saying Buffalo would go for this package and the neck thing makes me weary of any trade, but does Byfield/Kempe/1st seem completely insane for an Eichel when you get to keep all the other prospects? Like, is there a point where you are at "got to give to get" like this package or is it just completely off-limits?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Of course. That's where the scope of the deal comes in to play. We all like Kupari, JAD, Fagemo, Thomas but what if one of them and a pick gets you a guy that is an NHL regular and would enhance the culture etc? Not talking a grand slam sized deal since that can only happen if you think you are on the cusp (Schenn/Simmonds/1st for Richards) or if you are getting back an elite-level talent that is still young like Eichel before the injury.

I've been on board for Eichel in the sense that Blake needs to be calling on it or he isn't doing his job but the price could definitely be insane. It's funny on that Richards deal though...Schenn was the top ranked prospect in the world at the time of the trade so he was the one that was so worrisome to lose but then Simmonds became a force and I think the 1st was worthless. It's still a lot to give up but what's the comp on this team...Byfield/Kempe/1st? It's tough to say because Byfield is definitely a higher rated prospect at the time of the draft and the D + 1 year but Schenn was coming off the destruction of the WJC and good AHL Simmonds was younger than Kempe and had the toughness but he was putting up Kempe-like numbers, albeit in fewer minutes per game. The 1st this year is more valuable than the one in the Richards trade.

I'm not even saying Buffalo would go for this package and the neck thing makes me weary of any trade, but does Byfield/Kempe/1st seem completely insane for an Eichel when you get to keep all the other prospects? Like, is there a point where you are at "got to give to get" like this package or is it just completely off-limits?

To clarify, the Kings traded Schenn, Simmonds, and a 2nd for Richards. The 1st was traded for Carter.

As far as role and age, here are my equivalent players:
Schenn - Byfield
Simmonds - JAD

The biggest point of contention, though, is that Kopitar and Doughty were less than 25 years old at the times of the trade but already leading the team. They could afford it.

More than anything, the Kings need some of their young, homegrown talent to step up and lead before making a Richards equivalent trade.

I know you're not actively advocating the trade be done, but the point about timing cannot be hammered in enough.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
According to some these are the perfect bargaining chips to sell off to bring in current talent (before we even know how these players will progress in our system).

Weird times around here.
Bargaining chip? Please don't say that...they are the future of this franchise...we need to keep the youngsters

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Re: ladue I don't have the time or the effort to look for my receipts again but that was a bullshit meme perpetrated by a Colorado poster and repeated as if it were truth. The closest thing Kings posters said were that we basically weren't in a spot to give up stuff like that and a 1st for Landeskog and some idiot latched onto the inference that LaDue was untouchable. So, as always, it was just the context of 'is Landeskog worth it to this team' rather than in a vacuum and of course the answer was pretty indisputably 'no.'

Yes, we're going to have to move some prospects before they pan out (or don't), but the heart of them--Turcotte, Byfield especially--you can't really sling around until you know what holes are filled. Trade to complete, not to build. You may notice the NYR/LAK trade threads--they have a ton of D prospects, we have a ton of F--but the Kupari/Robertson level trades don't really move the needle yet the Turcotte/Lundqvist bombshells are too early. It's a balancing act. It's too early to 'solve' one problem by potentially opening another--but I think you and I agree that the horizon for starting to make those moves is just opening.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
To clarify, the Kings traded Schenn, Simmonds, and a 2nd for Richards. The 1st was traded for Carter.

As far as role and age, here are my equivalent players:
Schenn - Byfield
Simmonds - JAD

The biggest point of contention, though, is that Kopitar and Doughty were less than 25 years old at the times of the trade but already leading the team. They could afford it.

More than anything, the Kings need some of their young, homegrown talent to step up and lead before making a Richards equivalent trade.

I know you're not actively advocating the trade be done, but the point about timing cannot be hammered in enough.

My bad...remembered it as a 1st and not a 2nd. Well...even cheaper then but that's how much juice Schenn had at the time coupled with Holmgren's house cleaning.

The timing thing is a big question but that's where someone in Eichel's age range is tempting.

Lombardi's top picks were Bernier/Lewis/Hickey/Doughty/Teubert/Schenn/Forbort prior to the Richards trade. An elite, HHOF'er surrounded by mostly JAGs: especially when taking in to consideration their draft position. These are the dudes that put the Kings at a Top 5 prospect pool ranking along with a brief time of Jack Johnson, Oscar Moller and Purcell. I say brief for them but Doughty also only contributed to the ranking once since he was a full-fledged NHL'er out of the gate. Point being, of course, is that all of those guys listed--sans Doughty--had more trade value earlier rather than later. Schenn probably had less value after his first season with Philly.

DL did wait on all of these guys too, except for Schenn, but he knew he had a young Kopitar/Brown/Doughty/Quick and even Johnson. It's a different position, I get it, but the X-factor here is that Doughty has six years left on this deal and Kopitar is still cruising at a PPG. Depending on how Blake feels, he too could also say that he has Kopitar and Doughty and enough prospects (which are also assets to move) where adding a stud in that mid-20s age gap makes sense as said stud will be part of the next leadership wave and will help this team at least be a playoff contender in the immediate future: something that is a good thing for these prospects to come in to.

Exciting times is the long story-short of it. Does Blake put some chips on the table this offseason or does he continue to hold for the perfect hand?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
My bad...remembered it as a 1st and not a 2nd. Well...even cheaper then but that's how much juice Schenn had at the time coupled with Holmgren's house cleaning.

The timing thing is a big question but that's where someone in Eichel's age range is tempting.

Lombardi's top picks were Bernier/Lewis/Hickey/Doughty/Teubert/Schenn/Forbort prior to the Richards trade. An elite, HHOF'er surrounded by mostly JAGs: especially when taking in to consideration their draft position. These are the dudes that put the Kings at a Top 5 prospect pool ranking along with a brief time of Jack Johnson, Oscar Moller and Purcell. I say brief for them but Doughty also only contributed to the ranking once since he was a full-fledged NHL'er out of the gate. Point being, of course, is that all of those guys listed--sans Doughty--had more trade value earlier rather than later. Schenn probably had less value after his first season with Philly.

DL did wait on all of these guys too, except for Schenn, but he knew he had a young Kopitar/Brown/Doughty/Quick and even Johnson. It's a different position, I get it, but the X-factor here is that Doughty has six years left on this deal and Kopitar is still cruising at a PPG. Depending on how Blake feels, he too could also say that he has Kopitar and Doughty and enough prospects (which are also assets to move) where adding a stud in that mid-20s age gap makes sense as said stud will be part of the next leadership wave and will help this team at least be a playoff contender in the immediate future: something that is a good thing for these prospects to come in to.

Exciting times is the long story-short of it. Does Blake put some chips on the table this offseason or does he continue to hold for the perfect hand?

I understand. There's a lot to consider. That's when other factors get brought in. Like Eichel's injury. Will he contribute to changing the culture? So far, he's been a cornerstone of a neutered Sabres team. Plenty are already saying Kopitar should be shipped off or stripped of the C. Do you want another top center who hasn't kicked the team in the ass, and where a GM got fired after he wasn't happy (thus creating the meme of Eichel the GM?)

For his talent, I frankly don't think there's a price tag Buffalo is offering that the Kings can afford to pay.

Not that the Kings should avoid trading, period. Just that all factors in consideration, the organization is not ready/able to hitch their wagon to Eichel.

Reactions: BigKing

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
When it comes to the philosophical approach Kings management should be taking, I'm more in the Kings17 camp: hoard prospects and picks, don't trade futures to improve the team right now. Patience / delayed gratification is the key to long term success.

BUT...

If say the Kings traded 4 quality assets for Eichel (Kupari, Turcotte, Clague, Iafallo, for example) and it turns out that none of those guys end up amounting to much, then I can't say it's a bad trade.

Reactions: BigKing

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Re: ladue I don't have the time or the effort to look for my receipts again but that was a bullshit meme perpetrated by a Colorado poster and repeated as if it were truth. The closest thing Kings posters said were that we basically weren't in a spot to give up stuff like that and a 1st for Landeskog and some idiot latched onto the inference that LaDue was untouchable. So, as always, it was just the context of 'is Landeskog worth it to this team' rather than in a vacuum and of course the answer was pretty indisputably 'no.'

Yes, we're going to have to move some prospects before they pan out (or don't), but the heart of them--Turcotte, Byfield especially--you can't really sling around until you know what holes are filled. Trade to complete, not to build. You may notice the NYR/LAK trade threads--they have a ton of D prospects, we have a ton of F--but the Kupari/Robertson level trades don't really move the needle yet the Turcotte/Lundqvist bombshells are too early. It's a balancing act. It's too early to 'solve' one problem by potentially opening another--but I think you and I agree that the horizon for starting to make those moves is just opening.

While an Avs poster did go over to his board and possibly exaggerate the thinking "They won't do Landeskog for LaDue straight up", there was definitely a lot of hesitancy to move LaDue for Landeskog on this board because:

- Landeskog was in the midst of his worst season on a $5.55MM cap hit and the Kings had cap issues
- Kings had never replaced Voynov and LaDue was supposed to be that RHD replacement. Build from the net out etc.
- Ties in with the last point but LaDue was overhyped because the Kings had jack shit in the pool at the time, or at least that was the thought (Roy + Cernak were there...at the time)

But this is HF so it is understandable...sometimes it should be FH as in "Future Hockey" as potential always seems to be worth more than tangible results to some on this site. That said, the receipts might show that I was against moving LaDue + for Landeskog because of the reasons above! That was in the midst of the first "we're f***ed, aren't we?" season when the poor drafting and trading of picks caught up with them. The cap issue was front and center so trading for a winger in the midst of a 33 point season at $5.5MM was a bit worrisome.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Why do the Kings want Eichel and his 10 Million dollar deal for another 5 years? And to give up Byfield,Kempe and a 1st rounder...no thanks that's way too much to give up for a malcontent and baby!!!And Jack will play 2nd fiddle to Kopi and be happy? No way Jose!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
When it comes to the philosophical approach Kings management should be taking, I'm more in the Kings17 camp: hoard prospects and picks, don't trade futures to improve the team right now. Patience / delayed gratification is the key to long term success.

BUT...

If say the Kings traded 4 quality assets for Eichel (Kupari, Turcotte, Clague, Iafallo, for example) and it turns out that none of those guys end up amounting to much, then I can't say it's a bad trade.
How about Yafallo,Lizotte,Vilardi and a 1st rounder in 2026?Like to see the Kings keep Turcotte,Kupari and Clague

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Let me just add the following. Sometimes you make moves so that the right people can slot into the right positions. Blake didn't fill the much needed 2c role this past off season and so ultimately Vilardi was thrust into it and more or less totally failed. Now it's obvious his confidence is shot. Didn't have to be that way if he had been put into the proper role as 3c/4c or given another year to develop in Ontario. Same with defense. Blake admits he needs a top 4 LHD and he's right. That would allow Bjornfot to slot into the 3rd pairing which is where is should be as a 20 year-old. It would mean MacDermid wouldn't have to play as much and look completely out of place. Clague isn't the top 4 answer quite yet (if ever). So Blake needs to follow through on his statement and spend some assets to get a top 4 LHD.

Now for next year it looks like the Kings might go with Byfield at 2c. What's the backup plan if he fails? Is it even a good idea to put that much pressure on him at 19 years old? Imagine what happens if Byfield loses his confidence at 19 like Vilardi has at 21. No bueno. And shouldn't Blake acquire one (maybe even two) competent wingers to help Byfield develop? Guys who know how to play at the NHL level and provide cover/support for Byfield?

Point is that there are logical reasons to add to the team even if you are trying to build through the draft.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I think the most i'd do for Eichel (due to the injury concerns) is Vilardi, 2021 1st and a 3rd. But i certainly would not start there -- that's just the farthest i'd go if i was pushed to the edge and really wanted to make a deal happen.
If he never got hurt, then possibly maybe i'd go as far as Turcotte, 2021 1st, 2022 1st and one of Kupari/Thomas...if i was desperate for a deal but that's not even close to where i'd start negotiations at.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad