Confirmed Trade: [LAK/CHI] Olli Maatta (18.37% retained) for Brad Morrison

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
He should work in the Kings D system just fine. I also see that his injuries are not indicative of him being a delicate player.
2 illegal hits and a broken hand don’t say cupcake to me. And it appears the shoulder injury and repair issue is completely resolved.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Been drafting Europeans like crazy lately. Don't forget Kupari and Nousiainen!

Some serious change behind the scenes in LA, with nearly 1-to-1 drafting of NA to Europeans, and most top prospects around 6'0 with blazing speed.

Yeah but none of them have suited up yet, and likely won't next season.

Jussi Jokinen played 18 games in 17-18 which was not very memorable since he was bouncing around the league like crazy that year. Before that, Lauri Tukonen played 1 game in 07-08. Esa Pirnes played 50 something games in 03-04 but he only played that 1 season in the NHL.

The last Finn who was a regular NHL player & played a full season for the Kings was Mikko Eloranta in 02-03 :laugh:

Meaning that Maatta will only be the 5th Finn and the first player playing a meaningful role in LA in 18 years.

Last edited:

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Not sure how so many people in this thread are surprised by this move. It's an obvious cap dump people. This isn't rocket science here. Stan isn't 'tanking' or getting 'fleeced.'

Teams against the cap will move players for pennies on the dollar this year with a flat cap and teams with money will be getting cheap assets.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So the Hawks are just giving away NHL level defenders for free?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not sure how so many people in this thread are surprised by this move. It's an obvious cap dump people. This isn't rocket science here. Stan isn't 'tanking' or getting 'fleeced.'

Teams against the cap will move players for pennies on the dollar this year with a flat cap and teams with money will be getting cheap assets.

Acquiring draft picks does the same thing, and at least they give you a chance to get something better than a non NHL player.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
So the Hawks are just giving away NHL level defenders for free?

They obviously have some other use for that cap space, so in their eyes, it's a move they had to make.

It's unrealistic to think that they're going to hold off on everything just to try and milk a draft pick. Im sure they tried to this point.

Can never judge a move like this until you see what the team is like when the season starts.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
They obviously have some other use for that cap space, so in their eyes, it's a move they had to make.

It's unrealistic to think that they're going to hold off on everything just to try and milk a draft pick. Im sure they tried to this point.

Can never judge a move like this until you see what the team is like when the season starts.

They could have easily still gotten a 3rd for him, with what some other players are getting.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Chicago like many teams have no real leverage, their only chance is to make these trades and bury those returns in Rockford. I still don't see how Chicago will be cap compliant with seabrook amd shaw salaries ? I'd like to see saad and keith both get moved for young prospects

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago needed to unload salary..you could have gotten an additional pick/prospect instead of retaining.

But could they have? I have no idea what each side was offering in any trade negotiation, so I default to "each side got and gave what they could live with".

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I am saying he could have held out longer.

And like i said in my previous post, i think it's unrealistic to expect GM's to do that for a mid round or late round pick at this time. They're just not valuable enough to go through the trouble.

I mean, so many teams will be up against the cap. If the Sens and Devils of the league didn't want him now, why would they want him later? And even if they did, the Hawks still have no leverage.

There is value in knowing you get this done now and not having to deal with it later after you've signed all kinds of deals.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingsFan7824

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
And like i said in my previous post, i think it's unrealistic to expect GM's to do that for a mid round or late round pick at this time. They're just not valuable enough to go through the trouble.

I mean, so many teams will be up against the cap. If the Sens and Devils of the league didn't want him now, why would they want him later? And even if they did, the Hawks still have no leverage.

Why not trade Saad then? You can much easier survive with less forward depth than on the blueline. They missed the playoffs this year and now they have one less NHL level defender on their team. What exactly is their goal?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Why not trade Saad then? You can much easier survive with less forward depth than on the blueline. They missed the playoffs this year and now they have one less NHL level defender on their team. What exactly is their goal?

The biggest weakness of the Hawks forward group is that they lack heaviness and most of their young guys are very offense oriented. They brought Saad in to replace Hossa, and while he's no Hossa, it's probably still the reason they're not trading him right now i'd imagine. He brings something that most other players on the team don't.

Plus he was trending in a good direction before covid from a scoring perspective.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Awful trade with the retention on top of it

I understand we are in bad spot because of COVID and Stanley's piss poor cap management but geez

If we were forced to give away a quality player (Who shockingly Maatta turned out to be for us) for nothing at the very least Stanley should have been able to not retain but because of Stanley's piss poor abilities and cap mess here we are

Original deal looks even worse trading away a cheap quality forward in Kahun for what was to Pens a pure cap dump (Maatta)... Yet a year later when Stanley has to move that contract there is no Stanley to save Stanley

Great trade for LA though

Reactions: Ghetty Green

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He was one of the best chicago defenseman last season.

Incredible job by Blake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad