Confirmed Trade: [LAK/CHI] Olli Maatta (18.37% retained) for Brad Morrison

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
normally bowman gets a guy back in these deals, but morrison looks like a dead contract slot
Not sure about this 'dead contract' talk...did anyone else look up Brad Morrisons' hockeydb? He lead the Lethbridge Hurricanes in playoff scoring in 2018...37pts 16g,21a in 16 games!!! Hidden gem? We'll see won't we?

Didn't lose anything else, no sweetener other than the messily $750108 cap hit for the next two years...I liked Maatta, played well in the bubble...cap cut that's all

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Maatta is one of those players who everyone was high on, came in and played pretty well initially but flamed out just as quickly, as he’s never really grown into the player a lot of people thought he would. Whether he’s permanently gun shy can also be argued but it doesn’t appear to be the case.

Honestly he’s just a player who was able to play in the NHL at a younger age without being fully developed with an all around game. He really is still the player he was at 18-19. Just like Risto in Buffalo, little has developed with his game since being drafted. As much as he was able to play at a young age in Pittsburgh, unfortunately it stunted his overall growth as a player. You don’t learn on the job at the NHL level. An indictment of Pittsburgh’s development team.

Many, including myself, thought his upside offensively would come but it just never really has.

Alot of young D, like Sanderson in Tuesday’s draft, or Seider last year, you look at their skill set and say there’s no reason they shouldn’t end up having a good deal of offensive upside. We seen Seider’s game take on that element with Grand Rapids last year, making him now look like he not only deserved to go that high but maybe have been the first D off the board. Just like Sanderson this year compared to Drysdale, Seider was much closer to to Byrum offensively than Byrum was to Seider defensively. The exact reason we may see Sanderson go ahead of Drysdale. I know I’d take him over Drysdale.

Anyway, many D are drafted higher for this reason. Their skill set says they “should” become more of an offensive weapon. as we’ve seen many young D over the years show more offense after they’re drafted than as a junior player. Like Sanderson this year or Seider last year, Maata was “that guy“ his draft year. The only question was how much he’d evolve offensively. It just never really came. Like I said above, Pittsburgh just didn’t develop him like they should’ve.

Unfortunately those days are over for him now. He is what he is at this point. He’ll never be much more than a bottom pairing guy or a low end #4. There’s an appearance of some laziness but sometimes, especially with Europeans, it’s not laziness but more of a methodical way he skates and plays.

If anyone is thinking he’s going to come in and be a 4-5 year replacement for Martinez, you’re going to be horribly disappointed.

Nothing against Morrison, but obviously 29 other teams just passed up acquiring Maatta pretty cheap.

Probably a one and done with LA and ends up in Seattle next year. The exact type who ends up not being protected but chosen in an expansion draft due to his skill set even though he doesn’t seem to use it fully.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Not sure about this 'dead contract' talk...did anyone else look up Brad Morrisons' hockeydb? He lead the Lethbridge Hurricanes in playoff scoring in 2018...37pts 16g,21a in 16 games!!! Hidden gem? We'll see won't we?

Didn't lose anything else, no sweetener other than the messily $750108 cap hit for the next two years...I liked Maatta, played well in the bubble...cap cut that's all
He was 21 years old in those playoffs. Put up 20pts in the AHL the following season. He's not really a hidden gem

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Maatta is one of those players who everyone was high on, came in and played pretty well initially but flamed out just as quickly, as he’s never really grown into the player a lot of people thought he would. Whether he’s permanently gun shy can also be argued but it doesn’t appear to be the case.

Honestly he’s just a player who was able to play in the NHL at a younger age without being fully developed with an all around game. He really is still the player he was at 18-19. Just like Risto in Buffalo, little has developed with his game since being drafted. As much as he was able to play at a young age in Pittsburgh, unfortunately it stunted his overall growth as a player. You don’t learn on the job at the NHL level. An indictment of Pittsburgh’s development team.

Many, including myself, thought his upside offensively would come but it just never really has.

Alot of young D, like Sanderson in Tuesday’s draft, or Seider last year, you look at their skill set and say there’s no reason they shouldn’t end up having a good deal of offensive upside. We seen Seider’s game take on that element with Grand Rapids last year, making him now look like he not only deserved to go that high but maybe have been the first D off the board. Just like Sanderson this year compared to Drysdale, Seider was much closer to to Byrum offensively than Byrum was to Seider defensively. The exact reason we may see Sanderson go ahead of Drysdale. I know I’d take him over Drysdale.

Anyway, many D are drafted higher for this reason. Their skill set says they “should” become more of an offensive weapon. as we’ve seen many young D over the years show more offense after they’re drafted than as a junior player. Like Sanderson this year or Seider last year, Maata was “that guy“ his draft year. The only question was how much he’d evolve offensively. It just never really came. Like I said above, Pittsburgh just didn’t develop him like they should’ve.

Unfortunately those days are over for him now. He is what he is at this point. He’ll never be much more than a bottom pairing guy or a low end #4. There’s an appearance of some laziness but sometimes, especially with Europeans, it’s not laziness but more of a methodical way he skates and plays.

If anyone is thinking he’s going to come in and be a 4-5 year replacement for Martinez, you’re going to be horribly disappointed.

Nothing against Morrison, but obviously 29 other teams just passed up acquiring Maatta pretty cheap.

Probably a one and done with LA and ends up in Seattle next year. The exact type who ends up not being protected but chosen in an expansion draft due to his skill set even though he doesn’t seem to use it fully.

I'm sure LA brought him in to be a crutch for the young LHD to come in and out if the line-up, so LA doesn't have to use McDermid often and us Maatta as the Dman LA exposes in the expansion draft (saving McDermid from that role). I believe if LA doesn't pick up any other young LHD (*cough* Sergachev *cough*); they will run with Maatta on the 3rd pair when Bjornfot is playing and Maatta on the top pair when Clague/McDermid plays.

Bjornfot--Doughty
Anderson--Roy
Maatta--Walker

Or

Maatta--Doughty
Anderson--Roy
Clague/McDermid--Walker

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
pure cap dump for the hawks, thought we might fetch a late round pick instead of some guy that will never play in the bigs and retain 750K to boot...

not sure Stan tried to find a trade partner hard enough to find a better deal

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I knew that cap space was going to be a weapon this offseason, but I was expecting it to be a tank rather than the death star.

Jesus.

I thought that the Hawks could have gotten a 3rd or 4th for Maatta with retention.

This proves there's a super high premium on cap space this offseason.

Maatta is a good #4D. Wow.

Players are just being given away.

This trade makes some of these outlandish proposals almost quaint. Apparently some of us aren’t being enough of a homer with offers :laugh:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
This trade makes some of these outlandish proposals almost quaint. Apparently some of us aren’t being enough of a homer with offers :laugh:
It depends on what type of player. If you're talking about anyone who isn't a bonafide 1st liner/top pairing D/top 10 goalie it seems they can be had for virtually nothing this offseason, as long as you have the space for them.

That being said, there were people who thought that the Hawks would have to both send an asset AND retain on Maatta to get rid of him. Glad to see at least that was false, but those folks were closer to being correct than I was.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Anyone criticizing the Hawks in this deal are underestimating what it might take to move contracts this summer - even if it is a useful player. There’s only so many teams with space this year, and way more teams who need to move money in order to have the flexibility to makeover their roster.

If you take a hard stance on retention or getting a puck in return, the Kings/Sens/Devils will simply talk to the next team in line.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we see another half dozen moves of this type.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It depends on what type of player. If you're talking about anyone who isn't a bonafide 1st liner/top pairing D/top 10 goalie it seems they can be had for virtually nothing this offseason, as long as you have the space for them.

That being said, there were people who thought that the Hawks would have to both send an asset AND retain on Maatta to get rid of him. Glad to see at least that was false, but those folks were closer to being correct than I was.

I was actually fine with trading a 3rd or 4th and one of our lower end 67 D prospects for Maatta. Now even that seems like an overpayment :laugh:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I was actually fine with trading a 3rd or 4th and one of our lower end 67 D prospects for Maatta. Now even that seems like an overpayment :laugh:
I thought a 3rd or 4th straight up with no retention was probably fair for Maatta. I can't believe the market is this tight. We were pretty much on the same page. Not only is that an overpayment, it's a ridiculous one.

Cap space is a weapon on a planet killing scale this offseason.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Anyone criticizing the Hawks in this deal are underestimating what it might take to move contracts this summer - even if it is a useful player. There’s only so many teams with space this year, and way more teams who need to move money in order to have the flexibility to makeover their roster.

If you take a hard stance on retention or getting a puck in return, the Kings/Sens/Devils will simply talk to the next team in line.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we see another half dozen moves of this type.
I think that's what's happened. Teams with cap spaced have weaponized it to the point of near extortion.

Even good players(middle 6ers/2nd pairing D) will be traded for nothing.

Hell Maatta is a 2nd pairing D and he just got traded for nothing. D are usually super valuable.

Buyer beware in the UFA market. This year's addition could become next year's albatross.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

I hope you are right.
What i see, is a 23 year old skinny guys who didn't make it in the AHL and isn't even a leading scorer in the ECHL.
Time will tell

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Wow, didn't expect Blake to get his veteran LHD for nothing, he was offering a 2nd just the other day. Good deal. They even got retention!
I think the kings should follow it up with a mete and a mon 3rd for a La 2nd . That way when you know Matta is gonna get burned to much on certain nights they can switch mete up from the 5 spot to the 4 spot and put matta back in the 5 spot .

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Maatta had top-pairing potential at one point, but his development was impaired by illness and injury. He's still a smart, competent defenseman who's had some nice moments over the years, but he's a bottom pairing guy now - too slow to be an "impact player" in today's league.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

As an Ontario Reign season ticket holder, I can assure you he's not a hidden gem. He didn't even crack the AHL all last season. He easily pushed around due to his thin frame. He does have some offensive ability and good hands in tight, but holds onto the puck way too long. Thinks he's an NBA point guard. His game lacks NHL structure. He won't make the big leagues. Kings signed him a few years ago after a solid 21 year old overager performance in the CHL playoffs since the Kings system was extremely thin and they were looking for bodies to fill the AHL roster and took a chance. He's not the type of player the Kings would sign today with a much deeper prospect pool.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
I think the kings should follow it up with a mete and a mon 3rd for a La 2nd . That way when you know Matta is gonna get burned to much on certain nights they can switch mete up from the 5 spot to the 4 spot and put matta back in the 5 spot .
The Kings will pass on dealing for Mete.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I'm sure LA brought him in to be a crutch for the young LHD to come in and out if the line-up, so LA doesn't have to use McDermid often and us Maatta as the Dman LA exposes in the expansion draft (saving McDermid from that role). I believe if LA doesn't pick up any other young LHD (*cough* Sergachev *cough*); they will run with Maatta on the 3rd pair when Bjornfot is playing and Maatta on the top pair when Clague/McDermid plays.

Bjornfot--Doughty
Anderson--Roy
Maatta--Walker

Or

Maatta--Doughty
Anderson--Roy
Clague/McDermid--Walker

I’d say you’re spot on with this one. He’s been through the wars and even though relatively young, he can play a couple of different roles.

From his perspective he needs to go to LA and use the year to define his future. He played pretty well against Vegas in the playoffs and should build upon that because if he does end up in Seattle, he will most definitely play a lot of top 4 minutes. I doubt very seriously there’s going to be another Anaheim allowing a guy who’s turning into a Norris Trophy candidate like Theodore ending up there. So he’ll get plenty of opportunities both this season and in Seattle In a couple of years.

Reactions: Guitpik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad