Confirmed Trade: [LAK/CHI] Olli Maatta (18.37% retained) for Brad Morrison

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Maatta is a better and younger defenseman than Joel Edmundson who Bergevin gave up more just to talk to then signed to a longer and more expensive deal. Maatta even has more rings than Edmundson.

Edmundson makes 3.5. Maatta was making over 4 before retention.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
How much more capspace does Chicago need to free up? Are there any concerns that Kubalik might elect for arbitration?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Chicago is in the f***ing weeds when it comes to their cap space.

Wonder why Bowman hasn’t bought out Zack Smith yet.
I don't blame them for not doing a buyout.

Buying out Smith only saves like 1.25M once you replace him on the roster with an 800K player. It also costs you 1.1M in space next year. You're essentially sacrificing next season's cap space for some additional space this year. Barely worth it. Also, you don't save any real money either.

That is IF you can find someone better than Smith for 800K to make the whole thing worthwhile.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: SoCalFan

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Kings need a Veteran presence that allows them to possibly rotate Mikey Anderson, Tobias Bjornfot and Kyle Clague, all pups threw the lineup. We also have a weaponized Kurtis MacDermid that plays in and out of the lineup if his skill set is needed.

At this point Mikey Anderson showed very well last year and may have earned a Full time spot

Clague can play both sides but needs minutes to see what he can bring. Bjornfot is very young but is mature beyond his years.

Grabbing a game like Matta is a good deal. Still young but a veteran of the game. Provides a bit of stability should the youth not be ready but can also sit a game or two if the youth are clicking.

It also allows us to maybe trade one of those youth if Blake has a trade lined up for a higher end player

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Kings get just what they were looking for a vet on the backend to help with all the kids coming up, signed for 2 years which is perfect will be left open for expansion draft and we clear his cap hit right as we should be ready to be competitive. The Hawks get cap space. And LA gave up nothing. It’s a win-win to me.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Furious. Kings did very well here. Second pairing rock all day. He’s a very quiet player that makes so many little plays that people who have played will appreciate. He’s great at nothing but rock solid no matter the situation. HATE.

Reactions: David Lunch

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
So basically they traded a decent/serviceable player for cap space.

never heard of the guy coming back, assume it’s just a contract limit thing.

Reactions: Morrison

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
We gave pratically no assets of value for a decent LD 26 and only 2 years at a decent cap hit. Perfect bridge contract.
I think this was a small thank you for Kubalik. Hawks have some space, let's see how they use it.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Huge win by the Kings. They get their perfect bridge top 4 guy, at the price they wanted, and didn't give up anything of consequence.

Time will tell if the Hawks are able to make this a win/win. Will depend on what Bowman does with the cap, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I was a Hawks fan.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Seems like a good move for the Kings.

Maatta is an NHL defenceman. He's fallen off a bit but I don't think LA has expectations of being a powerhouse next season. If they can build up his value and flip him while also having him fill a hole for a while, seems like a good move for seemingly giving up absolutely nothing.

Reactions: LAKings88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad