Confirmed with Link: (LAK/CAR) Kings acquire Sekera from Canes

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
If we supposedly won't be able to sign Regher for cap reasons , how do we sign or fit in Sekera? How much is he looking for? What does he make now?

all of these questions, combined with the fact we gave up a solid prospect and a first (in a 'deep draft'), really, really scare me

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
On the surface, it seems like a pretty hefty price to pay. And if Sekera doesn't re-sign here, it's pretty terrible. But, our 1st rounder is looking like it will be around #20. McKeown has regressed this year and he's still early in his development. Dean wants us to stay on the Cup train, so I think it's a risk he's willing to take. If we are able to lock up this guy, i'm sure we will be able to forget about the price.

Have you seen what this guy can do?? He's WAY underrated. He can be inserted as a top PKer and has some sick moves and goal scoring ability. He will be a welcome addition to the team.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
A 1st and a stud D-man for a soft puck mover?

Kings need a stay home D-man....Ugh.

No they don't. Granted, Greene is terrible and I would be all for an upgrade over him but Regehr and McNabb are both stay-at-home d-men. You don't need more than 3 of that type in the lineup.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
What if Voynov comes back?

Kings won't go with a D-core that is without some size...

Doughty-Muzzin
Sekera-Voynov
Greene-Martinez

If he does come back this year, Greene is going to be the odd man out for the playoffs, I think.

If he doesn't come back, he's likely going to be traded, especially if Sekera can be retained. RR returning wouldn't surprise me either. Something more like

Doughty-Muzzin
Regehr-Sekera
Greene/McNabb-Martinez

I think that lineup is plenty physical and can put up points from the blue line.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Guessing Gravel. Really.

Just for reference, Kings technically do not own the rights to Gravel so they can't trade him. He's Monarchs property not Kings.

Not sure I like this deal. Seems like a much too high a price for Sekera. I really do like Sekera and will be fine with this deal if LA manages to re-sign Sekera to a decent new contract. McKeown's a guy I really liked in the draft. IIRC he was my #2 D (for sure ahead of Fleury) in my draft rankings last year.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
latest

Pfffft. Carolina's been heavily scouting Manchester. It's spitballing. Who foresaw junior McKeown instead of a Manch prospect?

Wow, Sekera is ours. Still can't believe it.

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
I don't get how people are claiming an overpayment. Seriously I don't. By the time that this 1st and McKeown mature, pretty much all of the Kings core will be aged. You strike the iron when it's hot. I will admit that I don't know how the Wings manage to be very good for so long. But the 1C and 1D positions are the hardest to fill since prospects of these value are usually acquired with a very low draft pick. Which means sucking in the regular season. Guys like McKeown will come and go, the entire roster being Cup contenders is much more rare.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Sounds like pure rental territory to me!! You can't sign everyone. That's the bad news!!! The good news is the Kings are "all in" this year! Might as well be! These windows of opportunity only come along so often!

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
all of these questions, combined with the fact we gave up a solid prospect and a first (in a 'deep draft'), really, really scare me

well the first is conditional. if LA misses playoffs it becomes next years first so that helps a bit.
I think DL paid a huge price for a rental. yes he could sign but we do not know.
What I do know is the rumor of "DL does not trade for rentals" can be put to bed.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Trading away those assets is tough, but nobody can deny that Dean has been an absolute killer at the deadline. We also know that he doesn't like dealing for rentals. I have to think he's already spoken to Sekera's people about the potential of an extension. As far as salary, it really all hinges on Slava's future. He may never play an NHL game again. RR may retire in the off-season. Plenty of possibilities.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kings don't have a long person PROVEN stay at home D. They have 1 in Matt Greene.

RR is a UFA. McNabb is young and unproven.

I have to think Voynov is on the way out or one of Martinez/Muzzin. Kings won't start next year or can afford to have....

Doughty, Muzzin, Sekera, Voynov, Greene and Martinez.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kings have 8-9 million to sign TT, Pearson, Andreoff, Jones, Stoll, RR, and Williams...now they add a player who wants 4-5 million a year???

It will be RR or Sekera IMO
Williams will be gone
Andy A will not cost a lot/maybe gone
Stoll will likely cost the same or less.

It will be dicey but maybe close.

Does this deal mean no voynov?

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Kings have 8-9 million to sign TT, Pearson, Andreoff, Jones, Stoll, RR, and Williams...now they add a player who wants 4-5 million a year???

I can see Voynov being traded for a pick or off the cap completely. Richards, likely will be off the cap (maybe 2M retained here)... and don't overestimate what Pearson and Toffoli will command. Stoll likely gone, What do you think Jones will command he's played like 30 games? And who's Andreoff? I forgot, refresh my memory (just kidding, but you get my point).

I think RR, JW & Sekera are the vets to watch here. I think the Kings will have more cap space than they have now come July or August.

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
Amazing that posters still think Voynov will actually be in the lineup in the playoffs, he wouldn't even be close to being in game shape.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Congrats, you guys just got a ****ing great player. Don't think you'll find a single 'Canes fan who didn't love him. Adding him to your d corps is just straight up unfair.

Definitely going to follow you guys down the stretch now.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Amazing that posters still think Voynov will actually be in the lineup in the playoffs, he wouldn't even be close to being in game shape.

He's been skating with coaches all season.

This is like the third time you've visited our forum to crap on the Voynov situation, cut it out.

Kings don't have a long person PROVEN stay at home D. They have 1 in Matt Greene.

RR is a UFA. McNabb is young and unproven.

I have to think Voynov is on the way out or one of Martinez/Muzzin. Kings won't start next year or can afford to have....

Doughty, Muzzin, Sekera, Voynov, Greene and Martinez.

Yep, someone's gonna go by default (Voynov) or by design. I expect Sekera here long term though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad