Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] Andreas Athanasiou signs with the Kings (1 year, $1.2M)

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I mean he couldn't have predicted that a global pandemic would have caused the salary cap to stay flat.

And using that cap space for Tyson Barrie or Pulju/Ennis/Kahun was worth it imo.

I don't miss him for a second. He's a puck hog that kills plays. He fits on a certain lineup lacking offensive skill but not on the Oilers. I didn't want to resign him even if the cap rose.

The cap space used on Barrie and replacements like JP/Ennis/Kahun made the team overall better. Finally the Oilers can breakout from the D! (and injecting the Condors D also helped)

Reactions: Llamamoto

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Double A is a perfect example on how proper coaching can actualy make a player better. He is nowhere close to what some were saying he is defensivly and he is producing as well, 5pts in 7 games with Lizotte as a Center. We went through the Kovalchuk saga and he is not even remotely close as bad.

Finally a post that actually aged well :)

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I mean he couldn't have predicted that a global pandemic would have caused the salary cap to stay flat.

And using that cap space for Tyson Barrie or Pulju/Ennis/Kahun was worth it imo.

He gave up 2 2nds then gave up on him after like 10 games and threw more than half what it would’ve cost to qualify AA at Kyle Turris

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
He gave up 2 2nds then gave up on him after like 10 games and threw more than half what it would’ve cost to qualify AA at Kyle Turris
He offered AA a contract of over 2 million per year lol...2 years 4.2 total or something. He didn't just "give up" on him

AA either did not want to play with some great players or didn't like it and wanted to go to a US team or he got greedy

No big loss in my books.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I hate Blashill. That is all.

Don't worry, AA is still the same player he was with us. He isn't sustaining a 20% shooting percentage all year, and certainly isn't good enough at the other things needed from players when his shooting returns to normal.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This guy is a fire cracker. Hope we resign him.

Wait for the shooting to drop to normal, and wait for at least the season before hoping this. Remember he started well in Detroit and we loved him, and then the honeymoon ended and he was what he was. A frustrating effort level player 85% of the time.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Don't worry, AA is still the same player he was with us. He isn't sustaining a 20% shooting percentage all year, and certainly isn't good enough at the other things needed from players when his shooting returns to normal.

I mean a month ago you and the three other Wings fans consistently shitting on him were saying "he won't shoot 42% forever and when he doesn't we'll see how much you like him" so all these screeching is just the sound of the goalposts moving. He's shooting less than half of that and we're praising the other things he's doing, not just scoring.

Reactions: bouncesonly

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Turris was not the one that replaced what AA was. Kahun was, who was another high profile RFA who wasnt qualified. So in the end we came out about even, except with more cap space, which was space we needed to sign other FAs like Turris and Barrie

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I mean a month ago you and the three other Wings fans consistently shitting on him were saying "he won't shoot 42% forever and when he doesn't we'll see how much you like him" so all these screeching is just the sound of the goalposts moving. He's shooting less than half of that and we're praising the other things he's doing, not just scoring.

I literally haven't said anything in this thread until today. His shooting will return to his career average, as every player does, which is why it is their career average. He didn't suddenly improve his shooting 8%. Also, 29 shots on net in 17 games isn't great, for an offensive minded player, which suggests to me he isn't shooting enough which is more than likely effort based, as we seen more than enough of him to know how he plays. My honest guess, is that within 6-12 months, you will all want him gone or at the very least nowhere near the top of your lineup.

Like I said, when he first joined the Wings, we all loved what he brought and then he showed what he really was, and things changed big time. I hope for your sake's I am wrong, but with this type of player I doubt it.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

Who cares about shooting % on 6 goals? 3 of those goals were slamming home rebounds, 1 was a tremendous stickhandling play to beat the defenders and goalie in close, and 2 were shots from the inside the dots.

He's not chucking pucks from the perimeter and getting lucky, he's driving to the net and making plays. Shooting % is meaningless when 2/3rds of your goals are in the crease.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Who cares about shooting % on 6 goals? 3 of those goals were slamming home rebounds, 1 was a tremendous stickhandling play to beat the defenders and goalie in close, and 2 were shots from the inside the dots.

He's not chucking pucks from the perimeter and getting lucky, he's driving to the net and making plays. Shooting % is meaningless when 2/3rds of your goals are in the crease.

Shooting percentage does matter though. If he was shooting his normal percentage he would have 4 goals, which is 2 less than he currently has. Also, as we have said he won't maintain his supposed "driving" to the net and engaged play, which is not even close to the way he plays.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I literally haven't said anything in this thread until today. His shooting will return to his career average, as every player does, which is why it is their career average. He didn't suddenly improve his shooting 8%. Also, 29 shots on net in 17 games isn't great, for an offensive minded player, which suggests to me he isn't shooting enough which is more than likely effort based, as we seen more than enough of him to know how he plays. My honest guess, is that within 6-12 months, you will all want him gone or at the very least nowhere near the top of your lineup.

Like I said, when he first joined the Wings, we all loved what he brought and then he showed what he really was, and things changed big time. I hope for your sake's I am wrong, but with this type of player I doubt it.

Buddy. Here are your other posts in this thread. Seems like you have a vested interest.

He is also useless at virtually every other hockey skill. He is probably the most frustrating player I have ever seen play. He has extremely brief moments where he looks like the next star of the league, but those are followed up by 90% of him trying to 1 on 3, 4 and 5 the other team while completely negating the fact that he has teammates out there with him, and his immensely terrible effort at anything besides trying to skate through the other team. His effort level makes him a big detriment to his team, even when he scored his 30 goals.

Don't worry he won't last long.

He isn't a guy I want on my team, let alone actually getting ice time.

Yes, his shooting will return towards career average, but you're missing the point, and it looks deliberate. We're telling you the effort is there, and that this stuff isn't happening. You think players entire careers are defined by their DRW snapshot?

I'm not saying he's a perfect flawless player or that he won't have issues--only that jesus christ you guys were pinata'ing him and he's been a VERY useful player for us.

Reactions: crassbonanza

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Wish the Oilers would of had more time with him after giving up two 2nds but the situation changed and they were better served letting him walk and spreading their little cap elsewhere. I still think him taking a 2 year 2m+ deal with Edmonton as was rumoured would of benefited him more long term but he’s got an agent who clearly led him into a bad spot having to take a 1x1 or whatever he has. He’s getting some nice minutes in Hollywood on a rebuilding team but make no mistake kid is fighting for his nhl life this year.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Shooting percentage does matter though. If he was shooting his normal percentage he would have 4 goals, which is 2 less than he currently has. Also, as we have said he won't maintain his supposed "driving" to the net and engaged play, which is not even close to the way he plays.

4 of the 6 goals were scored in the crease, 3 of them were tap ins. Is he going to start missing tap ins because he has to come down from his unsustainable shooting percentage?

Take out the 4 goals in the crease and he has 2 goals on the other 25 shots. 8% shooting on those 25 shots, is that unsustainable?

Shooting % is pointless at this small of a sample size. He's playing far more impactful than anticipated, regardless of whether he has 4 goals or 6.

Reactions: bouncesonly

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Buddy. Here are your other posts in this thread. Seems like you have a vested interest.

Yes, his shooting will return towards career average, but you're missing the point, and it looks deliberate. We're telling you the effort is there, and that this stuff isn't happening. You think players entire careers are defined by their DRW snapshot?

I'm not saying he's a perfect flawless player or that he won't have issues--only that jesus christ you guys were pinata'ing him and he's been a VERY useful player for us.

What is your point? You claimed that I mentioned something about 42% shooting percentage, which I never did. I also never claimed I didn't have an interest.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

I hope you guys sign him long term. Wait till his entire career isnt on the line, you'll see the true AA.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
4 of the 6 goals were scored in the crease, 3 of them were tap ins. Is he going to start missing tap ins because he has to come down from his unsustainable shooting percentage?

Take out the 4 goals in the crease and he has 2 goals on the other 25 shots. 8% shooting on those 25 shots, is that unsustainable?

Shooting % is pointless at this small of a sample size. He's playing far more impactful than anticipated, regardless of whether he has 4 goals or 6.

Yeah, and what would be so great about 2 goals on 25 shots, given that he shoots less than 2 times every game? Also if you think he is going to be this great in tight presence, good on you, but I highly doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad