Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] Andreas Athanasiou signs with the Kings (1 year, $1.2M)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
This idea that AA can't play with talent is another myth projected by fans who defended Jeff Blashill - maybe the worst coach in the NHL.
It's a lot like the myth about AA that he couldn't produce against bigger minutes because he'd face better competition.
When tested - these myths don't hold up.
When AA plays big minutes, his production is fine - even better.
When AA plays with good players, his production rates hold up - or are even better.

In 17-18/18-19 - (even-strength)
AA with Larkin - 2.95 points/60
AA with Tatar 2.95/60
AA w Mantha 2.13/60
AA w Nyquist 2.01/60

Sure, he produced with Glendening (2.31)
But there were others (Abdelakder, 1.25) who he sucked with.

Reactions: mattihp

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I’m gonna go out on a thick limb and say most of the forwards who have/will leave the Wings the next few years will be fine. Blashill’s system is the worst in the league and it isn’t helped by guys like Staal hitting your chest with passes. I don’t think McDavid himself would even hit 90 with our team set up the way it is.

Reactions: MBH

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Double A is a perfect example on how proper coaching can actualy make a player better. He is nowhere close to what some were saying he is defensivly and he is producing as well, 5pts in 7 games with Lizotte as a Center. We went through the Kovalchuk saga and he is not even remotely close as bad.

Give it time. He's clearly doing better, but man, 42% shooting percentage for those 3 goals. To be fair, I have not watched LA Kings games to see if he's changed... but 7 shots in ~13 mins a night seems about right for the AA I remember. As soon as he gets a little snakebit with the puck not going in, you'll be very bummed about him.

He still is a very good buy low option and you might land an asset for him. But cheering it on like he's a massive find for you seems very premature knowing his several years of history.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I’m gonna go out on a thick limb and say most of the forwards who have/will leave the Wings the next few years will be fine. Blashill’s system is the worst in the league and it isn’t helped by guys like Staal hitting your chest with passes. I don’t think McDavid himself would even hit 90 with our team set up the way it is.

Blashill's system is essentially Jon Cooper's system that just won the Cup. Blashill is not some great shakes as a coach, but if you truly believe that it's because of Jeff Blashill and not because of a MASSIVE dearth of upper end talent on the Wings... I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona for you.

The Wings "system" falls apart because you have guys who are completely overwhelmed in the role they're given, as they're higher up the lineup than they ought to be. The Wings still have maybe two legitimate as we speak top 6 forwards.

Larkin is optimally a 2C
Mantha, when engaged, is a top line W. Currently, he's a second line forward.
Bertuzzi is a plug who can up his game. He's as legit a "top line guy" as Tomas Holmstrom was as a top line guy. If you've got two fantastic top line guys, Little Bert would be an amazing third piece. The Wings don't have that.

Then, the Wings don't have an actual 2C or 3C. Filppula, Nielsen, Fabbri, etc. are all a mishmash. Glendening is a good checking line C, but the team plays in their own end a lot with him on the ice. You need bonafide scoring lines to take advantage of the opposition weakness when Glendening's line can frustrate the other team.

They have a good offensive D with no defensive instincts currently (Hronek), a defensive defenseman with no offensive instincts (Nemeth), a noodly-armed defensive D who is weak offensively (DeKeyser), a slow pylon (Staal), and a generic mishmash of AHL level guys (Djoos, Biega, Lindstrom, etc.)

McDavid centering Mantha and Bertuzzi would absolutely pot 90+ points.

The forwards that leave the Wings will be fine if they stick because even the worst NHL skater is still an NHL player. But really, guys like Marchenko, Ouellet, Nestrasil, Nosek, De La Rose, etc. all either have been waiver fodder replacements or are out of the league entirely.

Reactions: TS Quint

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
This idea that AA can't play with talent is another myth projected by fans who defended Jeff Blashill - maybe the worst coach in the NHL.
It's a lot like the myth about AA that he couldn't produce against bigger minutes because he'd face better competition.
When AA plays with good players, his production rates hold up - or are even better.

AA with Tatar 2.95/60
AA w Mantha 2.13/60
AA w Nyquist 2.01/60

He can play with talented players and he can put up numbers with talented players - because that is what happens when you play with talented players.
AA is at his best and most useful when he has the puck and doesn't have to worry about sharing it. When he plays with other talented players he tries to play set up man or tries to make fancy plays - he tries to think too much and that is just not playing to his strengths. Best to give that spot to a player who will rise significantly by playing with talent.

And bad numbers with Abdelkadr doesn't sway an argument either way, he clearly was/is not an NHL caliber player and would tank anyone's numbers.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Give it time. He's clearly doing better, but man, 42% shooting percentage for those 3 goals. To be fair, I have not watched LA Kings games to see if he's changed... but 7 shots in ~13 mins a night seems about right for the AA I remember. As soon as he gets a little snakebit with the puck not going in, you'll be very bummed about him.

He still is a very good buy low option and you might land an asset for him. But cheering it on like he's a massive find for you seems very premature knowing his several years of history.

2 of the 3 goals were tap ins from going to the net hard for Carter, and he could have had two more last night if they connected, so it's not like he's just loafing around waiting for good shots. Dude is playing like he knows his career depends on it.

You're assuming way too much. No one really had any expectations for him, and we're reporting back that so far he's a pleasant surprise, nothing more nothing less. If he starts to fade, no biggie, as we're bringing along the youth as well.

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
Glad he's doing good. Had a few rough years with his last Detroit year plus Edmonton, but he has the skill.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Blashill's system is essentially Jon Cooper's system that just won the Cup. Blashill is not some great shakes as a coach, but if you truly believe that it's because of Jeff Blashill and not because of a MASSIVE dearth of upper end talent on the Wings... I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona for you.

The Wings "system" falls apart because you have guys who are completely overwhelmed in the role they're given, as they're higher up the lineup than they ought to be. The Wings still have maybe two legitimate as we speak top 6 forwards.

Larkin is optimally a 2C
Bertuzzi is a plug who can up his game. He's as legit a "top line guy" as Tomas Holmstrom was as a top line guy. If you've got two fantastic top line guys, Little Bert would be an amazing third piece. The Wings don't have that.

Then, the Wings don't have an actual 2C or 3C. Filppula, Nielsen, Fabbri, etc. are all a mishmash. Glendening is a good checking line C, but the team plays in their own end a lot with him on the ice. You need bonafide scoring lines to take advantage of the opposition weakness when Glendening's line can frustrate the other team.

They have a good offensive D with no defensive instincts currently (Hronek), a defensive defenseman with no offensive instincts (Nemeth), a noodly-armed defensive D who is weak offensively (DeKeyser), a slow pylon (Staal), and a generic mishmash of AHL level guys (Djoos, Biega, Lindstrom, etc.)

The forwards that leave the Wings will be fine if they stick because even the worst NHL skater is still an NHL player. But really, guys like Marchenko, Ouellet, Nestrasil, Nosek, De La Rose, etc. all either have been waiver fodder replacements or are out of the league entirely.

Blashill blows.
He routinely puts players in situations to fail.
Centering Mantha with Glendening the other night is an example.
Removing Rasmussen from the Mantha-Ryan after two good games is an example

Going back to AA's last year here, he was coming off a 16 game stretch to close the previous season at center where he put up 15 points and was +1 and 48 percent on faceoffs.
It looked like AA could be 2C.
Then he gave up on him 2-3 games into the season and cut his icetime.

As far as I know, Jon Cooper doesn't promote all the NCAA/American-born players to roles they don't belong in. I could be wrong, I don't know. But I don't get that sense.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

Larkin is optimally a 2C

Agree with most of the rest of your post but the bolded is an embarrassingly bad take.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
AA is playing well from what I see. He is playing more of a team game this season. He is actually looking to pass the puck and doing a good job of that. When he gets to use his speed he is doing that too of course.

I’m also not expecting star production from him this season. But he should be capable of .5 points per game.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
AA is playing well from what I see. He is playing more of a team game this season. He is actually looking to pass the puck and doing a good job of that. When he gets to use his speed he is doing that too of course.

I’m also not expecting star production from him this season. But he should be capable of .5 points per game.

He seems to really like Carter, Lizotte less so haha since he's just hopping around like a waterbug.

But Carter and him just fly north-south on rails, it's predictable and easy and most of their points have come off a relatively predictable shot-on-pad/rebound/tap-in.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
He seems to really like Carter, Lizotte less so haha since he's just hopping around like a waterbug.

But Carter and him just fly north-south on rails, it's predictable and easy and most of their points have come off a relatively predictable shot-on-pad/rebound/tap-in.

sure I agree. But if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it;)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Same thing we’ve seen with Dmen that leave Edmonton. We can’t find quality top 4 guys yet somehow let go Petry, Schultz and Marino all for basically nothing.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It really depends on how you use him.
If he plays 15 minutes a night, you could get him to score at a 15-20 goal pace.
If he plays 17-18 minute a night, he could turn into a 25-30 goal pace guy.

The AA haters have been wrong about him since day one.
When he had the high goals/60 ratings, they said he'd never keep it up with more minutes. Then he scored 30.
17 games 6-5-11 playing 14:34 a night.
That's a 28-24-52 pace. Even better than I projected in that kind of icetime.

Oh, and all those "he'll bleed minuses."
He's +2.

So now the Kings are going to have a decision to make.
What can they get for him in a trade?
Or, what can they sign him for?
My guess is Athanasiou loves the California weather and vegan restaurants in LA. He's never been an easy signing. But he might sign there.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
17 games 6-5-11 playing 14:34 a night.
That's a 28-24-52 pace. Even better than I projected in that kind of icetime.

I for one don't believe a 20.7 shooting percentage is sustainable. But hey, keep cherry picking stats as per the usual.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

AA with Tatar 2.95/60
AA w Mantha 2.13/60
AA w Nyquist 2.01/60

So, in retrospect, I can kind of see what's hinted at here.

I definitely wouldn't say he can't play with talent--after all, he's thriving right next to Carter and Vilardi, two dudes who can put the puck wherever they want to in tight spaces (Especially GV, my lord).

But he's ALSO a guy who needs the puck, he's a puckhog in a good way. I for sure would NEVER put him with Kopitar, and I could see why that would suck the life out of some other players, as well. He's not a simple plug-and-play top six guy like, say, Iafallo; he really needs more thoughtful deployment but the reward is oh so worth it, as we're seeing. Hope the Kings can give him a good deal, he seems to be all smiles.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oh my god the stuff from two pages ago on Dec 30 :laugh:

Sorry guys you may not be wrong about what happened in a past life for AA but you were terribly wrong at predicting his effort level, fit, and results in LA.

Maybe it doesn't last but it won't be because he's f***ing around.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Most Wings fans aren't surprised, the talent was always there. Blashill did a horrible job coaching him in Detroit trying to reign him in and make him something he's not. At least Yzerman got good value for him, Oilers (Ken Holland) really look stupid tho.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Most Wings fans aren't surprised, the talent was always there. Blashill did a horrible job coaching him in Detroit trying to reign him in and make him something he's not. At least Yzerman got good value for him, Oilers (Ken Holland) really look stupid tho.

I mean he couldn't have predicted that a global pandemic would have caused the salary cap to stay flat.

And using that cap space for Tyson Barrie or Pulju/Ennis/Kahun was worth it imo.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
surprised nobody gave this guy a chance...kid can play.

I think he's just one of those guys that needs a right fit. He's not one of those players that can fit into a team easily.
Not just the team and game plan etc.

He may be one of those people that needs and thrives on the lifestyle.
It could also be related to motivation as well. I think this summer was a kick in the junk. He looks to have buckled down and put on his work hat.

Who knows.. but I wouldn't sign this guy long term.. no way. I wouldn't trade for him at the deadline either.
Not unless you are team that can meet his motivational or lifestyle needs and can identify them.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad