Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] Andreas Athanasiou signs with the Kings (1 year, $1.2M)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
One, I never said you said players can't change. I said it appears you don't believe AA can't change. My perception of your opinions of AA is quite different than me quoting you saying AA can't change. Also, it is being toxic....and I never said you "said" all those demeaning words because what I said was something that has yet to happen (projection into the future)....and I suppose the future quote wasn't hyperbolic enough to be sarcastic as you took easy offense to it.

You're note quite as skillful as you think you are at arguing semantics. Perhaps stick to your hot take that AA wasn't the player you wanted him for Detroit.....cause he's doing fine in LA.

I don't think he can change. Nor do I think he has changed. Fine, he's not a complete f***ing wastrel. He's been good for LA this year.

He's just a far less talented Alex Semin. He's not the guy you give a long term deal to. You sign him to these one year deals and keep the fear of God in him that his career could be over and you can motivate him. But it's the issue. You just have to know what you've got in AA. He's not a superstar, even though he might look like it some games. So when wings fans point that out... it's not hate, just more sign him eyes open.

Last edited:

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
That's shocking to me, and really overall just how people forgot the man scored 30 goals 2 years ago.

I mean i can't blame a Kings fan who didn't see him a ton in Detroit, but his speed and skill will never go away and as long as the fit is there he'll produce, and his speed allows him to get to places quick enough the other way too.
The play where he set up Kempe's goal, pulling the defenseman behind the goal line and making a perfect pass that Kempe could score blindfolded was incredible. If he keeps making plays like that, it won't matter if he scores a ton of goals, he's worth his contract.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think he can change. Nor do I think he has changed. Fine, he's not a complete f***ing wastrel. He's been good for LA this year.

He's just a far less talented Alex Semin. He's not the guy you give a long term deal to. You sign him to these one year deals and keep the fear of God in him that his career could be over and you can motivate him. But it's the issue. You just have to know what you've got in AA. He's not a superstar, even though he might look like it some games. So when wings fans point that out... it's not hate, just more sign him eyes open.

You can think that all you want but literally all of his goals are demonstrably from driving hard to the net, except one snipe from the circle. That's just factual, not a 'we feel' he's changed. I guess he could stop doing that completely, but the reason you're getting so much blowback from LA fans is a bunch of DRW fans who have ZERO reason to watch LA are telling us who is on our team.

Like I said to Oddbob I agree with the second part, long term is off the table as far as I'm concerned. But if he's a constant 40-50 point guy, he's exactly what most of those guys are--streaky top-sixers (probably middle-six on a true contender, but splitting hairs) that get 2-3 year deals.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I think the Kings would offer another one year deal. If he walks he walks. LA has prospects that will need spots as early as next year. I think he actually is an RFA.

Reactions: Guitpik

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think the Kings would offer another one year deal. If he walks he walks. LA has prospects that will need spots as early as next year. I think he actually is an RFA.

I think LA might be a better fit for LA than vice versa. Kings have to make room for their prospects.
But if Iafalo asks for a lot, maybe it makes more sense for LA

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Damn, only 1.2? Forgot about this. Should have left the cannoli in EDM when he had the chance.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
10 goals and 20 points for Athanasiou in 35 games. Those numbers would make him a top six point producing forward on Edmonton and Detroit.
Contrary to what most Oiler fans would tell you he was a solid player there, they just couldn’t afford is 3M QO last offseason after the flat cap. Given that they paid Barrie only 3.75 it makes sense for them. Barrie has produced more from the backend and gave them their first OFD in over a decade.

He hardly got a shot there much either, he played good for a few games, was hurt for about 6-7 after that.

He was touted pretty highly in camp right before the play ins and then was severely snake bitten in the playoffs but played great.
Athanasiou hits the crossbar on wide-open cage to keep game tied - Sportsnet.ca

If Oiler fans come in here to tell you he was crap, as many did after Holland let him walk, it’s because they say that about every player that leaves and ends up finding success elsewhere.

He was fine there, rumor was Holland offered him 2X2 as that was the best they could do.

I think he is a fun player to watch, just needs to be consistent

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
10 goals and 20 points for Athanasiou in 35 games. Those numbers would make him a top six point producing forward on Edmonton and Detroit.

Wings are more than happy with 2 seconds in return. Definitely wish AA the best though, I thought he was going to be a superstar when was doing things like this earlier in his career... (see 1:05 mark).

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Hope he signs for term, hope he becomes a good background leader, hope the other speedy young forwards follow his example. I'd love to see a new style of scrappy and offensive Kings play.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Finally has some more room to breath and show what he can do without playing in Carter's shadow. Blake's best signing to date.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think he would have worked out here in Edmonton if he had the time to gel he had in LA. But it would have costed us what, 3 million to qualify him? We just didnt have the cap to make that gamble and LA wouldnt do that either

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think he would have worked out here in Edmonton if he had the time to gel he had in LA. But it would have costed us what, 3 million to qualify him? We just didnt have the cap to make that gamble and LA wouldnt do that either
And I doubt the guy would be as willing to take 1.2 from the team who just turned down his qo.

Sometimes situations are meant to be and sometimes they aren’t.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Athanasiou has been such a pleasant surprise. I'd be surprised if the Kings let him go, unless a trade offer comes in this summer that they can't refuse. Otherwise 2X2.75m or 3X3m.

Reactions: kilowatt

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Athanasiou has been such a pleasant surprise. I'd be surprised if the Kings let him go, unless a trade offer comes in this summer that they can't refuse. Otherwise 2X2.75m or 3X3m.

I didn't think it was going to work, but was low cost so no big risk.
He has been a great surprise.

Reactions: apadilla

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad