Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
5. Patrik Laine
POS: RW | Age: 21 | Last Year: 3
Team: Winnipeg (NHL) | Draft: 2nd, 2016 (WPG)

Maddening inconsistency limited Laine to “only” 30 goals in his age-20 season. That’s how high the standard is for a player with such raw goal-scoring talent that he sniped 18 goals in one month last year. He’s the fourth-fastest player in NHL history to get 100 goals.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...the-top-100-hockeys-best-players-21-and-under

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Screenshot_20200922-223014_Chrome.jpg

I just tried one google search and this came up. Google knows its hockey :D

I know that is not in order

Reactions: Howard Chuck

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I can't take them too seriously when they recommend Roslovic on our 1st line. We tried that in preseason, and it produced nothing. The fact that Wheeler with Scheifele has given Scheifele his best offensive results is overlooked, as is the data.

Saying that we need to put Wheeler with Laine is an interesting idea, but in the same clips they state that a LH centre gives more ice for Laine?

The fact that Harkins isn't even in their starting lineup, but Perreault and Ves are shows me that they don't have a real pulse on this team, but are talking heads.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I can't take them too seriously when they recommend Roslovic on our 1st line. We tried that in preseason, and it produced nothing. The fact that Wheeler with Scheifele has given Scheifele his best offensive results is overlooked, as is the data.

Saying that we need to put Wheeler with Laine is an interesting idea, but in the same clips they state that a LH centre gives more ice for Laine?

The fact that Harkins isn't even in their starting lineup, but Perreault and Ves are shows me that they don't have a real pulse on this team, but are talking heads.

Agree with your last comment.

What numbers are you using for 'Wheeler with Scheif has given him his best offensive results'? Is that a 5 on 5 thing? I'm curious about this.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Agree with your last comment.

What numbers are you using for 'Wheeler with Scheif has given him his best offensive results'? Is that a 5 on 5 thing? I'm curious about this.

Just a wide range of data. There was some statistics on line combos posted a way's back in one of the threads, which was 5 on 5 data. There's the raw data, as Scheifele's career has taken off since Wheeler became his winger. There's the 2018 playoffs as a prime example. The numbers were better last year, relative to Laine. Wheeler's bad playoff this year has been the cry that he has aged out, and you do see signs of it, but I am not sure that saying he is our best passer in one sentence, is a reason to put him with Laine, when you could get 80 goals out of Connor and Scheifele by the same token.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Just a wide range of data. There was some statistics on line combos posted a way's back in one of the threads, which was 5 on 5 data. There's the raw data, as Scheifele's career has taken off since Wheeler became his winger. There's the 2018 playoffs as a prime example. The numbers were better last year, relative to Laine. Wheeler's bad playoff this year has been the cry that he has aged out, and you do see signs of it, but I am not sure that saying he is our best passer in one sentence, is a reason to put him with Laine, when you could get 80 goals out of Connor and Scheifele by the same token.

Interesting. I ask because to my eye Wheeler has been largely ineffective 5 on 5 and looks like he's being carried by Scheif for the past year+, but I'd love to see actual stats on that since it might just be me.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

The fact that Harkins isn't even in their
starting lineup, but Perreault and Ves are shows me that they don't have a real pulse on this team, but are talking heads.

I know that Roslovic should not be their at 1RW. But if we base it in preseason.
Then Laine Schiefele Wheeler is the line to be
. But we shouldn't.

The powerplay starting 4 years ago had given Wheeler the best offensive result.

They said LHC is the most optimum. Since its not readily available, Wheeler is the next best option as he is a natural playmaker.

Last paragraph you hit the nail.
Like what the commentator said, "he has never seen as young and as good as Laine not being able to ........." He was like almost begging the Jets management.

Maximize (make) your team (better) by using its strength. Don't make a playbook to hide your weakness, and hope that your team will be better.

Reactions: Rene Saari

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Uuuuber relevant discussion from last season on how we have come to this:

Relevant, in that Wheeler was moved to 2C last year, and split from Scheifele. The difference was that Laine was moved up to the top line with Scheifele and Roslovic played more on the 2nd line with Wheeler at C.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I know that Roslovic should not be their at 1RW. But if we base it in preseason.
Then Laine Schiefele Wheeler is the line to be
. But we shouldn't.

The powerplay starting 4 years ago had given Wheeler the best offensive result.

They said LHC is the most optimum. Since its not readily available, Wheeler is the next best option as he is a natural playmaker.

Last paragraph you hit the nail.
Like what the commentator said, "he has never seen as young and as good as Laine not being able to ........." He was like almost begging the Jets management.

Maximize (make) your team (better) by using its strength. Don't make a playbook to hide your weakness, and hope that your team will be better.

That's a good argument. I think that Paul Maurice is a pretty unoriginal coach. Like for instance if you wanted a balanced 3 line attack with existing players, you could run something like

Copp-Scheifele-Laine, where Copp's defensive abilities probably change the Corsi of the line
Harkins-Lowry-Wheeler, a power line
Connor-Roslovic-Ehlers, a speed line

And then your 4th line.

Perhaps we need an assistant with more input into how this team is run. Because I don't think it's good to be predictable in the NHL.

I hope we keep Laine for the year, and then we see where we stand after it. Jets don't have any Cap issues going forward with long term contracts. Pionk is the only one looming next year, aside from Laine's. I agree about finding the right ELCs to fit future departures.

It's why a long term RD could become an issue, if we want to get Heinola maximum playing time, with quality players, in the NHL, maybe him and Morrissey behind Scheifele and Laine would change the direction of our game.

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
We have a Vezina winning goalie and we're going to follow that up with chasing away the #2 overall pick. Management and coaching staff need to be fired into the Sun. I can't believe that it's become even a possibility that we lose a generational player like Laine. He has a ton of work to do to round out his game, but you do not get rid of a player with that much talent and skill. You bend over backwards to keep them in an unattractive market while they're this young, even if it means dumping coaches.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We have a Vezina winning goalie and we're going to follow that up with chasing away the #2 overall pick. Management and coaching staff need to be fired into the Sun. I can't believe that it's become even a possibility that we lose a generational player like Laine. He has a ton of work to do to round out his game, but you do not get rid of a player with that much talent and skill. You bend over backwards to keep them in an unattractive market while they're this young, even if it means dumping coaches.
Keeping Laine has nothing to do with coaching. It's entirely about contract. If the Jets can sign him to a long term contract that is reasonable, they'd likely prefer that to a trade. But it takes two sides to get a contract done and if Laine and his agents want to use his leverage to maximize his salary, the Jets shouldn't oblige.

Reactions: Hunter368 and ps241

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If Patty is moved the only thing i won't miss is these topics and discussions which borders psychotic because its all been said b4 a million times in a million different ways. As for the talking heads, they made it apparent years ago that they have no clue.

Reactions: FireChevy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad