Player Discussion: Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
For Jets 2.0

I have only seen 3 players capable and were able to carry this team during a slump for sttetches more than 5 games.

Hellybuyck
Laine
Byfuglien

At their best these 3 are game changers.
Other than Helly, Scheifele is by far the biggest game changer on the team. In all honesty Laine rarely moves the needle. He gets on the odd goal scoring streak but more often than not he pulls almost everyone he plays with into the defensive zone and we are not a good defensive zone team.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Other than Helly, Scheifele is by far the biggest game changer on the team. In all honesty Laine rarely moves the needle. He gets on the odd goal scoring streak but more often than not he pulls almost everyone he plays with into the defensive zone and we are not a good defensive zone team.

I agree that Scheif is a game changer but I don't agree about Laine. I think in his second year he had the second highest WAR on the team behind Scheif, and we won tons of games because of Laine goals pulled out of nowhere. He definitely has that single-handedly-win-a-game quality IMO.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

He may not be consistent but he dragged this team on his back late Feb early March 2018
He was the only guy scoring during that stretch

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For Jets 2.0

I have only seen 3 players capable and were able to carry this team during a slump for sttetches more than 5 games.

Hellybuyck
Laine
Byfuglien

At their best these 3 are game changers.

Only person on that list that HAS actually carried this team in any capacity by themselves is Helle.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Im actuallt talking about a display of stretches of games.

Byfuglien 2015 season big stretch there only Buff was the offense.
As good as 2017-2018 Jets was there was a big stretch there that it was all Laine.

I forgot to add the Schiefele 2016-2017 season he was on a scoring spree there briefly leading the league in scoring by late Nov i believe. Though at the same time Laine was scoring also leading all rookies in scoring and hat tricks after hat tricks.

I was thinking of times when no one on the team was going and 1 player carried the load.

Enough of Laine not moving the needle.
Its like me hearing Maurice shouting at Laine vs. The preds in the playoff. Skating inside their blue line.

" move your feet kid...... or do that! *#&# yeah or do that."

People get pissed at Laine fans because they protect him so much but there is as much as people really just finding fault about Laine. Instead of seeing the good side.
And the good side out weight the bad side badly.

Cheers :thumbu:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Only person on that list that HAS actually carried this team in any capacity by themselves is Helle.
See my above post.

Buff really carried this team for big stretches there early years.
It was all Buff offense nobody else.

If you are pointing out Laine its ok :naughty:
He is soo bad but he brings the most value out of every wingers we have. Even on nearing ufa years.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
That was 2 1/2 years ago. We could have used a bit more from him since then.

He was pretty good against St.Louis in the playoffs last year and I wasn’t dissatisfied with this season.
I think the expectations are quite a bit higher on him than anyone else.
Wheeler took a few seasons here to become the player he is.
This organization has to find a way not to squander this talent.
Let’s not look back because that’s not the way we are going.
Let’s get it done Chevy/Maurice you guys need to get this straight going forward

Reactions: Rene Saari

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Im actuallt talking about a display of stretches of games.

Byfuglien 2015 season big stretch there only Buff was the offense.
As good as 2017-2018 Jets was there was a big stretch there that it was all Laine.

I forgot to add the Schiefele 2016-2017 season he was on a scoring spree there briefly leading the league in scoring by late Nov i believe. Though at the same time Laine was scoring also leading all rookies in scoring and hat tricks after hat tricks.

I was thinking of times when no one on the team was going and 1 player carried the load.

Enough of Laine not moving the needle.
Its like me hearing Maurice shouting at Laine vs. The preds in the playoff. Skating inside their blue line.

" move your feet kid...... or do that! *#&# yeah or do that."

People get pissed at Laine fans because they protect him so much but there is as much as people really just finding fault about Laine. Instead of seeing the good side.
And the good side out weight the bad side badly.

In the run up to the 2016 draft I was as big a Laine fan as there was on this board. I was expecting our Ovi. As it turned out while he is a very good winger, he is not on that tier or probably the one below it. My fear is he expects to be paid like he is, which IMO is very problematic for our future. Again IMO as a team we are probably much better off in the long term to convert his value which is still very high to a couple pieces that fit our current needs better. Sure there is a big risk, but I feel the bigger risk would be to pay him like he was a top tier winger and lose the value he holds to transform the team to a more balanced team capable of contending.

Reactions: PhilJets

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
See my above post.

Buff really carried this team for big stretches there early years.
It was all Buff offense nobody else.

If you are pointing out Laine its ok :naughty:
He is soo bad but he brings the most value out of every wingers we have. Even on nearing ufa years.

Buff had good stretches but there wasnt really many times he carried the team. Wheeler, Little, Enstrom and Ladd were pretty much always there as well. Most of our high end players have had stretches where they have contributed but there hasn't been a single player that has carried this team like Helle did this past season.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
In the run up to the 2016 draft I was as big a Laine fan as there was on this board. I was expecting our Ovi. As it turned out while he is a very good winger, he is not on that tier or probably the one below it. My fear is he expects to be paid like he is, which IMO is very problematic for our future. Again IMO as a team we are probably much better off in the long term to convert his value which is still very high to a couple pieces that fit our current needs better. Sure there is a big risk, but I feel the bigger risk would be to pay him like he was a top tier winger and lose the value he holds to transform the team to a more balanced team capable of contending.

I understand your point.

But i believe, his ice time after as it was the only thing quoted out of him. He wanted to play more minutes. He's most concern about. The name dropped was by the finnish tabloid reporter who wanted to make the fire bigger.
Nothing about money.

Now
He was given the minutes and he clipped 0.93 points per game.
4 years of Laine , before 22 years old.
Historically its was pretty good.
The 3rd year was anomaly. He had the bad back and the whole team was at disarray.

He won't be an ovie. As when all its said and done Ovie will be just behind gretzky in scoring.
Laine on pace to score 500 goals minimum.
Let him be Patrik Laine of the Winnipeg Jets and lets enjoy him.

I actually don't want to defend Laine anymore (here) as i now understood some would want to trade him no matter the circumstances.

I just want to enjoy the dude playing....

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

He was again for this season 2nd best Jets forward for 5v5 goal differential. Granted his numbers in isolation weren't impressive because the team was crap, but he was 2nd only to Ehlers, who had a beast mode season in terms of outscoring opponent. 5v5 goal differential is something Laine has been one of the best Jets forwards (top2 or 3, I think 17-18 he was leading the team either in 5v5 or EV goal differential) every season except 18-19, which was so crappy it really drags his overall numbers down (if looking at his whole career).

I feel like there's part of the fan base (not you necessarily) that see 18-19 as the season that defines Laine as a player, as opposed to the 3 other seasons he has played... Also focusing only on corsi or xG or whatever also tends to do him a disservice because his special skill is basically creating a scoring chance out of nothing. He scores a lot of goals that he "shouldn't". Sometimes I feel like the problem isn't what he does, but "how" he does it, because even when he's been doing great, forum has been still full of criticism. I don't see that about most other players.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Lots of good talk here.

For me laine has the best chance at getting better then anyone on our team.

Connor is a close second for me. We all see what happened against Calgary when you take sheif away from him. People don’t mention how much Connor counts on sheif compared to letting everyone know laine isn’t a play driver himself

Ehlers is 3rd for me. He can and will improve I just see him being a 30 and 30 type of player

I think sheif is what he is. Might get better defensively but his counterpart is only getting older and I don’t think he will ever replicate the 90 point seasons. The timing was perfect for that and we all got a little bit of rose coloured glass syndrome, including myself. He can improve his points by sucking it up and playing with laine full time though

Brings me back to the top 6 player with the best chance to improve, laine hasn’t played with our best players up until last year. When he is up he is waaaaaaay up and when he is down he is waaaaaay down. He is bringing his waaaaaay down to slightly less of a down lately( if this makes sense lol ) which is bringing better consistency to his game. Once him and sheif gain chemistry, watch out he will be banging in 50,

I still believe he gets traded though and we are going to watch him bang 50 in year after year for a team and coach that doesn’t try to change everything about him and sandbag his usage

Reactions: Rene Saari

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Buff had good stretches but there wasnt really many times he carried the team. Wheeler, Little, Enstrom and Ladd were pretty much always there as well. Most of our high end players have had stretches where they have contributed but there hasn't been a single player that has carried this team like Helle did this past season.

Buff was carrying the Jets offense early Jets 2.0 years. Please go back and check.

Wheeler came into form and became elite once Scheifele stepped in to center him and Laine came in on the power play

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Don’t know why people think laine is going to demand to be paid like an ovi or Mathews.

When he sat out it wasn’t about the money. He made comments about usage, apologized to little over phone and Maurice flew all the way to finland to talk about how he would be used after he signed.

The money and term was the last thing on his list if reasons for sitting out training camp. It’s amazing how soon people forget or chose to ignore

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Buff was carrying the Jets offense early Jets 2.0 years. Please go back and check.

Wheeler came into form and became elite once Scheifele stepped in to center him and Laine came in on the power play

Buff was good no doubt, he carried us to exactly zero playoff appearances. We were always a buck short in the early years. The team we had on our run was the best we have ever had. And he was a good but not massive piece of that. Scheifele and Hellebuyck are bar none the two most important players we have on this team.

Reactions: PhilJets

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

It’s tough for the first two seasons he shot the lights out and was a combined 18% and close the the top sniper in the league and it looked like 50 goals was around the corner. The last two seasons he is shooting around 12% blended which is ok but not elite by any means. His shot totals have gone up but he is less accurate. He needs adapt and grow.

His game is growing but he needs to take a sizeable jump this season.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Don’t know why people think laine is going to demand to be paid like an ovi or Mathews.

When he sat out it wasn’t about the money. He made comments about usage, apologized to little over phone and Maurice flew all the way to finland to talk about how he would be used after he signed.

The money and term was the last thing on his list if reasons for sitting out training camp. It’s amazing how soon people forget or chose to ignore

Don't kid yourself. The usage is about getting the most out of his production. Why would he care more about his personal production more than anything else? To get a big payday. You're kidding yourself if you don't think Laine cares about getting paid.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It’s tough for the first two seasons he shot the lights out and was a combined 18% and close the the top sniper in the league and it looked like 50 goals was around the corner. The last two seasons he is shooting around 12% blended which is ok but not elite by any means. His shot totals have gone up but he is less accurate. He needs adapt and grow.

His game is growing but he needs to take a sizeable jump this season.

I think it's far more likley he shoots around 12% than 18% for the remainder of his career. If he wants to hit 50 he needs to get up into Ovi shot total levels. Which means going to the net far more than he does.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Don't kid yourself. The usage is about getting the most out of his production. Why would he care more about his personal production more than anything else? To get a big payday. You're kidding yourself if you don't think Laine cares about getting paid.

I think he does. I just don’t think he will demand 12 mil or anything stupid. I think that IF he stays with the jets it will be a very fair deal

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think it's far more likley he shoots around 12% than 18% for the remainder of his career. If he wants to hit 50 he needs to get up into Ovi shot total levels. Which means going to the net far more than he does.

100%

He needs to assert himself and take charge. Get in the dirty areas more and lurk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad