Player Discussion: Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think he does. I just don’t think he will demand 12 mil or anything stupid. I think that IF he stays with the jets it will be a very fair deal

He bet on himself exploding so that he could get more money. I'm guessing the Jets wanted him to sign to a similar deal as Connor. He took the deal he could to bet on himself that he could produce enough to cash in. That's why he wanted better usage to prove that he is worth whatever he was demanding.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This may be controversial but I believe Ehlers would comfortably be an 80 point player with top line + top powerplay.

He'd likely increase his production with a spot on the top PP. Only reason he is really on the 2nd unit is because he is the only other player that can even gain the zone.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Could have used more from Scheifele, Wheeler, Lowry, Copp, Little, Connor, Morrissey and our potato coach as well in that time.

Copp has been great value for his contract. Connor was pacing for over 40 this season which was fine.

I agree that Laine and the rest of the guys need to be better.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
He bet on himself exploding so that he could get more money. I'm guessing the Jets wanted him to sign to a similar deal as Connor. He took the deal he could to bet on himself that he could produce enough to cash in. That's why he wanted better usage to prove that he is worth whatever he was demanding.

I think Chevy wanted the 2 year deal but that’s just my opinion

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Do you really think he shouldn't have pushed for a bridge deal after that awful year in 2018-19?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Do you really think he shouldn't have pushed for a bridge deal after that awful year in 2018-19?

I never said I did or didn't. I'm just saying if he was willing to accept a deal similar to Connors I think it would be done by now.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Chevy wanted the 6-8 year deal at $7 or so. I seriously doubt Laine and his agent did.

Makes sense. If laine stays he will sign a fair deal 8x9 or 9.5 if he improves again next year.

I hope Chevy doesn’t let this one slip though his fingers.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Makes sense. If laine stays he will sign a fair deal 8x9 or 9.5 if he improves again next year.

I hope Chevy doesn’t let this one slip though his fingers.

I think with the way covid has destroyed pretty much all small markets finances who really knows what the Jet can even do no matter how much they want to.

Reactions: ps241

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I think with the way covid has destroyed pretty much all small markets finances who really knows what the Jet can even do no matter how much they want to.

I think the NHL is going to make sure this doesn’t happen. And Chevy can backload the contract so when the cap goes back up it fits maybe ??

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Nothing would make me happier than Laine scoring 50+ goals and 90 points and earning 10M a year. I fear that he scores 35 and 70 and still demands 10+ because he just won’t be worth that.

Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I never said I did or didn't. I'm just saying if he was willing to accept a deal similar to Connors I think it would be done by now.

Of course it would have but he had two better years at 18 and 19 then any Conner had at that point. There shouldn't have been any reason for him to accept the Conner deal based on his first two years in the league.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Of course it would have but he had two better years at 18 and 19 then any Conner had at that point. There shouldn't have been any reason for him to accept the Conner deal based on his first two years in the league.

Perhaps the Jets just simply looked at his shooting % and said that isn't something that is sustainable long term in today's game and said sure bet on yourself.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perhaps the Jets just simply looked at his shooting % and said that isn't something that is sustainable long term in today's game and said sure bet on yourself.

Possibly, we simply put really don't know what is going on behind closed doors.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

The jets now can’t afford a 50 goal laine. If he jets 50 next year he is as good as gone. Chevy is hoping his point totals stay where they are for at least one more year or until he signs long term

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The jets now can’t afford a 50 goal laine. If he jets 50 next year he is as good as gone. Chevy is hoping his point totals stay where they are for at least one more year or until he signs long term

I can't see him getting 50 unless he gets well into the 300+ shots range. In order to do that he will have to become a much better driver of play than he currently is. He'd have to take a massive step forward coming into next year. Maybe he eventually gets there but I can't see it happening next season.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I can't see him getting 50 unless he gets well into the 300+ shots range. In order to do that he will have to become a much better driver of play than he currently is. He'd have to take a massive step forward coming into next year. Maybe he eventually gets there but I can't see it happening next season.

It won’t. My point was Chevy didn’t expect little
To get injured and have that cap space. It hasn’t really looked like laine was in the plans anyway unless he signs for something ridiculously low.

Could you imagine laine earning 11 mil and little
Playing still. Where would the cap come from?? Wither down the defense some more to make room? Get rid of Lowry and Copp???

Chevy has been banking on laine signing something around 7 or 8 this whole time and Maurice has made sure of that. Yes I’m still on this train lol

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To get injured and have that cap space. It hasn’t really looked like laine was in the plans anyway unless he signs for something ridiculously low.

Playing still. Where would the cap come from?? Wither down the defense some more to make room? Get rid of Lowry and Copp???

Chevy has been banking on laine signing something around 7 or 8 this whole time and Maurice has made sure of that. Yes I’m still on this train lol

That is a bit much don't you think? You really think the team didn't plan on building around that second overall pick that we lucked into? Simply put Laine hasn't turned into the all around offensive force they thought they were getting so they have likely readjusted what they are willing to pay him. Laine likely still wants to get paid like a super star hence the disconnect.

Reactions: KingBogo

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
That is a bit much don't you think? You really think the team didn't plan on building around that second overall pick that we lucked into? Simply put Laine hasn't turned into the all around offensive force they thought they were getting so they have likely readjusted what they are willing to pay him. Laine likely still wants to get paid like a super star hence the disconnect.

Of coarse we can’t really say what the disconnect is or if there is one anymore but I’m sure he wants to be played like one to prove he is a superstar. And get paid for it. And I still feel he wants out because he thinks he hasn’t been put in the best of spots.

Back to my post and reply to your comment. I don’t think it’s to much. The state of the team when laine was due for a deal shows what Chevy was willing to do or not. There was no room for laine unless he settled for a Connor like deal.

The rest of the team was and will be thinned our still by the end of next year. If little comes back laine is as good as gone even if he wanted to stay

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Well then they would have kept him off the 1st line. Played him entirely with Wheeler and limited his minutes.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Of coarse we can’t really say what the disconnect is or if there is one anymore but I’m sure he wants to be played like one to prove he is a superstar. And get paid for it. And I still feel he wants out because he thinks he hasn’t been put in the best of spots.

Back to my post and reply to your comment. I don’t think it’s to much. The state of the team when laine was due for a deal shows what Chevy was willing to do or not. There was no room for laine unless he settled for a Connor like deal.

The rest of the team was and will be thinned our still by the end of next year. If little comes back laine is as good as gone even if he wanted to stay

I think the Jets would have made room by dealing others out. They didn't really intend on Buff not coming back either. They would have fit Laine under the cap by moving out players like Lowry and Copp and looking for cheap replacements. Though now that they lost a tonne of revenue things may be heading in an entirely different direction.

Reactions: ps241

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I think the Jets would have made room by dealing others out. They didn't really intend on Buff not coming back either. They would have fit Laine under the cap by moving out players like Lowry and Copp and looking for cheap replacements. Though now that they lost a tonne of revenue things may be heading in an entirely different direction.

Imagine our bottom 6 without Lowry and Copp. It is almost unthinkable. Poor cap management or Chevy knows something we don’t

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Given that they gave Laine not even half a million less on a two year bridge deal vs Conner's seven year deal I have a hard time seeing how they would have only offered the Conner deal. Using the premise that UFA years cost more then RFA years I would wager the offer was around $8 to $8.5 million a year on a long term contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad