Laine v Matthews. Ceiling/Potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah that video he posted isn't Laine making a good defensive play, it's Comeau making a stupid offensive one.

Why can't it be both? A player hustling back, not giving up on a play, then anticipating and intercepting a pass which most likely have been a goal are the exact plays good defensive players make.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Oh boy. You know the delusion is real from Laine fanboys when the attempted new narrative is that Laine was as good or better at two-way play than Matthews.

Laine was a possession blackhole at 5v5 and one of the worst players on the Jets in relative possession numbers. Meanwhile Matthews was a strong possession driver at 5v5 and one of the best on the Leafs in relative possession numbers.

On top of all, Laine's relative CA numbers are worse than Matthews relCA numbers if we're truly trying to eliminate the effect of team systems and pinpoint each player's impact within their structure.

Y'all need a break from HF if you're only here to try and convince yourself and others of objective lies.

How is the 48% possession player at 5 on 5 not a dominant force worthy of the Selke? Mental gymnastics on display dude. He was a +6

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014

Just a reminder from when they played against each other.

Bonus points for Matthews' awesome breakaway move.

Honestly these threads are a joke.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Just a reminder from when they played against each other.

Bonus points for Matthews' awesome breakaway move.

Honestly these threads are a joke.

Laine for whatever reason just owned the Leafs last year. I think part of it is he knows he is playing Matthews. This is going to be a great rivalry for both of their careers.

Here is his 2 goal game against the Leafs. What strikes me is the quality of all of his 5 goals head to head. Not one cheap goal. The release on the first goal was just one in a million.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Laine for whatever reason just owned the Leafs last year. I think part of it is he knows he is playing Matthews. This is going to be a great rivalry for both of their careers.

Here is his 2 goal game against the Leafs. What strikes me is the quality of all of his 5 goals head to head. Not one cheap goal. The release on the first goal was just one in a million.

Can you post a clip of the incredible takeaway in game 2?

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto

Hard to have a rivalry cross conference. However Laine did step up when he played the Leafs. Im not sure if its him knowing hes playing Matthews or if its a statement that the Leafs should have selected him. Either way both teams are extremely fortunate to have won the Lottery. Both players are great.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Mathews was the more polished player last season but I don't see much difference in the long term ceilings for each. Both shouldorph into responsible two-way players and both will be big offensive producers albiet they will go about it differently.

Well said. For me the differentiators are

Pro- Laine- higher absolute offensive output

Pro- Matthews- higher value in a capped League- I think Matthews is going to grow into the kind of C that can be flanked with two middle 6 quality wings and succeed in either a power on power or pure offensive role, whereas Laine will need more money in support to be truly effective on a classic "1st line" If put with a middle 6 quality C and W and asked to go power on power he would be neutered offensively and the line buried defensively. For players that are likely going to be making ~10million that's a huge consideration

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This was taken on April 3rd, but it goes to show just how much of an impact Scheifele had on Laine.

In 536 minutes, Laine’s points-per-60 with Scheifele is 3.02. In the other 451 minutes without him, it’s 1.82. Still very good, but arguably not Calder good.
~TheAthletic

That was an article discussing the Calder race.

Laine is a great player and will be one for many years to come, but as it stands today, Auston Matthews is a more impressive player. It might change one day, but only time will tell.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hard to have a rivalry cross conference. However Laine did step up when he played the Leafs. Im not sure if its him knowing hes playing Matthews or if its a statement that the Leafs should have selected him. Either way both teams are extremely fortunate to have won the Lottery. Both players are great.

Will agree with this. Both players were great last year as rookies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'm pretty sure neither Matthews or Laine care enough to get fired up because of each other. This "rivalry" has long a go reached it's pinnacle and has been trending downwards since the gala. It was nice to see their rookie seasons and competing for the Calder. But now it's over. They play in different conferences and meet twice a year. One is winger other is center. I hope both guys lit it up and will be rooting for both.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm pretty sure neither Matthews or Laine care enough to get fired up because of each other. This "rivalry" has long a go reached it's pinnacle and has been trending downwards since the gala. It was nice to see their rookie seasons and competing for the Calder. But now it's over. They play in different conferences and meet twice a year. One is winger other is center. I hope both guys lit it up and will be rooting for both.

Laine excels against the leafs because we collapse into the middle and leave the points free. He has all day to shoot.
The

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Laine excels against the leafs because we collapse into the middle and leave the points free. He has all day to shoot.
The

Interesting point. Do you guys reckon leafs will have a more Laine focused gameplan to shut him down?

I mean there are still other very dangerous players to look out for but will he be focused on slightly more ?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

I agree. Laine knows he is and was #2 and so he felt like he had something to prove. It's clear those particular games meant more to Laine than to Matthews.

I agree with the others, though. Their rookie seasons are over and the Calder has already been handed out, so it's time for Laine to let it go and re-focus his energy towards a more attainable goal in trying to will his team to the playoffs.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
I agree. Laine knows he is and was #2 and so he felt like he had something to prove. It's clear those particular games meant more to Laine than to Matthews.

I agree with the others, though. Their rookie seasons are over and the Calder has already been handed out, so it's time for Laine to let it go and re-focus his energy towards a more attainable goal in trying to will his team to the playoffs.

Great points. Laine should take a note from Matthews and focus on the big picture (i.e. playing great during the whole season) rather than playing well in 2 games because of some potential inferiorty he feels for being #2 to Matthews.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Great points. Laine should take a note from Matthews and focus on the big picture (i.e. playing great during the whole season) rather than playing well in 2 games because of some potential inferiorty he feels for being #2 to Matthews.

Laine was good pretty much all season. He punished the Leafs for loose defense, not because he tried harder.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
There we go again - two absolutely trash comments portraying Laine as some brat who cares only about himself (by BayStreetBully and TDK88).

I can't wait for the season to start.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
This was taken on April 3rd, but it goes to show just how much of an impact Scheifele had on Laine.

In 536 minutes, Laine’s points-per-60 with Scheifele is 3.02. In the other 451 minutes without him, it’s 1.82. Still very good, but arguably not Calder good.
~TheAthletic

That was an article discussing the Calder race.

Laine is a great player and will be one for many years to come, but as it stands today, Auston Matthews is a more impressive player. It might change one day, but only time will tell.

I agree with this totally.

Matthews is already the Leafs top point producer and most likely be for many years to come while Laine may never out produce a healthy Scheifele. That said if Laine plays regularly with Scheifele he may out produce Matthews.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

Yeah a 18 year old rookie scored 64 point in 73 games because he only played well against the Leafs. :shakehead

Looking to get into the HOF of silly comments on HF board?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah a 18 year old rookie scored 64 point in 73 games because he only played well against the Leafs. :shakehead

Those are just hot takes meant to rile up other posters. Wouldn't pay any attention to them. Both guys, Laine and Matthews have fans in this forum trying to stir the pot. Best way to get them stop is to just simply ignore those posts.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Those are just hot takes meant to rile up other posters. Wouldn't pay any attention to them. Both guys, Laine and Matthews have fans in this forum trying to stir the pot. Best way to get them stop is to just simply ignore those posts.

Your right they are not worth the time. Thanks:)

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016

1) 13 of his 36 goals came against two teams in 5 games. So he played really well against Dallas and Toronto. Against the rest of the league he scored 23 goals in 68 games. That's not incredibly inspiring for "the greatest shooter in the history of the NHL" (according to his fans).

2) Maybe if he tried harder he could be better defensively and drive his own line on the Jets to give them more options to spread out their talent and cosequently a better shot at winning every night.

I think everyone can agree that if Laine played the whole year mainly with Perreault and still put up 64 points we'd be having a very different conversation about what Laine brings to a team over a whole season.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
It's very obvious Laine's ceiling/potential is a lot higher. Not even a question if you watch them play.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
1) 13 of his 36 goals came against two teams in 5 games. So he played really well against Dallas and Toronto. Against the rest of the league he scored 23 goals in 68 games. That's not incredibly inspiring for "the greatest shooter in the history of the NHL" (according to his fans).

2) Maybe if he tried harder he could be better defensively and drive his own line on the Jets to give them more options to spread out their talent and cosequently a better shot at winning every night.

I think everyone can agree that if Laine played the whole year mainly with Perreault and still put up 64 points we'd be having a very different conversation about what Laine brings to a team over a whole season.

Holy s***, one of the best shooters in the league lit up a team with trash goaltending and a team with trash defence, who would have thought? The real question must be, why is everyone else in the league so bad and not similarly taking advantage of these teams? What a smart player Laine is, to take teams weaknesses and use them to his advantage. Wish more players did that to be honest.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Holy s***, one of the best shooters in the league lit up a team with trash goaltending and a team with trash defence, who would have thought? The real question must be, why is everyone else in the league so bad and not similarly taking advantage of these teams? What a smart player Laine is, to take teams weaknesses and use them to his advantage. Wish more players did that to be honest.

:laugh:

Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad