Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
Matthews has zero special skills, just another grinding center

Therefore, Mr. 103 MPH aka Laine

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Matthews is already very refined. Laine is very raw yet they were nearly identical in production. Both players will improve but Laine has the higher ceiling.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Matthews is already very refined. Laine is very raw yet they were nearly identical in production. Both players will improve but Laine has the higher ceiling.

how do you figure they're about equally good then? Either Matthews is ahead or he isn't

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
What are you talking about? The poll asks who has the higher ceiling and my answer is Laine.

And the reasoning you gave was that Matthews is currently better now (which is a lousy argument, but it's what you came up with), but then you contradicted it by saying they're equal?

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Teams don't draft players 1st overall in the hopes they have a fabulous rookie season. They draft who they think will become the best player in the draft long term which is just another way of defining "ceiling" or "potential". Matthews was the consensus 1st overall pick before the draft because of that reason and nothing he did last year changed that. If anything it should only strengthen that case after the monster year he just had. Now of course Laine could still easily become the better player long term because the kid is a crazy good talent, but until he does something to indicate he's going to be better the answer is still very clearly Matthews here IMO. Last season only reassured why Matthews went 1st.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Laine has the significantly higher potential because he has more room to improve.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Laine has the significantly higher potential because he has more room to improve.

This argument is so flawed. It's basically saying Matthews is close to peaking as a teenager. You never heard this nonsense with Crosby after his monster rookie year despite how polished his game was at that age. You don't think he's improved by leaps and bounds since then?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
This argument is so flawed. It's basically saying Matthews is close to peaking as a teenager. You never heard this nonsense with Crosby after his monster rookie year despite how polished his game was at that age. You don't think he's improved by leaps and bounds since then?
Crosby is Crosby. I'm not sure if there has ever been a player that has been so driven on imoroving himself and learning new skills and excelling in them at elite level.

Laine has a few glaring weaknesses in his physique that he will 100% improve in. There is no question about that. So if Laine can produce at Matthews level with these weaknesses, how good will he be once he doesn't have them?

Not saying that Matthews won't improve a lot, but Laine probaly has more room to get better IMO.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Crosby is Crosby. I'm not sure if there has ever been a player that has been so driven on imoroving himself and learning new skills and excelling in them at elite level.

Laine has a few glaring weaknesses in his physique that he will 100% improve in. There is no question about that. So if Laine can produce at Matthews level with these weaknesses, how good will he be once he doesn't have them?

Not saying that Matthews won't improve a lot, but Laine probaly has more room to get better IMO.

Except for the fact that....ummmm....he didn't. If that were true you wouldn't have seen the Calder voting at 164-3 don't you think? Voting like that indicates one was clearly at another level. A voting total about 90-75 would indicate both players were at the same level, not 164-3. Yes he had a fantastic season, but Matthews' was unquestionably better, hence the reason the voting turned out that way. Again, I'm not saying it's not possible, but until Laine does something to indicate otherwise it's still Matthews here.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Except for the fact that....ummmm....he didn't. If that were true you wouldn't have seen the Calder voting at 164-3 don't you think? Voting like that indicates one was clearly at another level. A voting total about 90-75 would indicate both players were at the same level, not 164-3. Yes he had a fantastic season, but Matthews' was unquestionably better, hence the reason the voting turned out that way. Again, I'm not saying it's not possible, but until Laine does something to indicate otherwise it's still Matthews here.
You're right, Laine actually produced at a higher rate than Matthews.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

Marner has a few glaring weaknesses in his physique that he will 100% improve in. There is no question about that. So if Marner can produce at almost Laine's level with these weaknesses, how good will he be once he doesn't have them?

Not saying Laine won't improve a lot, but Marner probably has more room to get better.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
You're right, Laine actually produced at a higher rate than Matthews.

If only ppg was all that mattered in judging a hockey player. I realize I'm wasting my breath in this argument because you've shown to be beyond biased when discussing these two players in the past so I'll just save my typing fingers and end this conversation with this message. If a 164-3 Calder voting total can't convince you that Matthews was at another level last season then clearly there's nothing I'll be able to say to do so. I hope you can at least accept you are in the extreme minority with this viewpoint though.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
And the reasoning you gave was that Matthews is currently better now (which is a lousy argument, but it's what you came up with), but then you contradicted it by saying they're equal?

I don't think you read my first post very clearly. I said Matthews is very refined, not better. I said that they produced at an identical pace not that they're equal. My argument is that if Laine who I believe is still very raw as a player can put up identical numbers to Matthews who has a more rounded game, then he has the higher ceiling.

Laine as a polished product is going to be dirt nasty.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Let's think of their careers like a 10k run where one person has a 1km head start. Matthews ridiculously good foundation means he has an advantage here, since it's easier for him to go forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia