Confirmed with Link: Laine signs, 4 years 8.7 AAV

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Great moments in both of these videos, was great to hear; starting with Jarmo being very emotional (for him, at any rate) about having to trade Bjorkstrand (sounded very genuine) and then Laine actually sounding excited and being talkative.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
He definitely sounded energetic despite being “under the weather”. All the thank you’s. Although Give me 8.7 something million dollars to play hockey and see how energetic I am.

Wish someone would have asked about the Florida practice jersey for shits and giggles

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Come on man.. Laine and Gudreau bring speed and skill and passing that will be first tier.. Voracek is going to thrive, Boone should have his best year if he can stay healthy, Silly is going to be stronger, more confident, Gus Nyquist should be 1 more year removed from injury so better, Texier can play with Speed, Roz should be a year better & start the year with the confidence he ended last season with. Marchenko, Kuraly, Robby.. this is an extemely young team... and when the opponent gets dirty, you are going to have Olivier & Gudbranson to step up now and not to mention his ability to clear the crease for Elvis. This really has the making of something exciting. Are they going to gel together? are they going to fight like hell to win?. I think so & Lars will be a year better in the room and bench. Very very excited for this. KJ, Chinny, Bemmer.. need to take big steps now.

Really looking for Zach, Vlad, Bovq, Bean, Peeke, Gudbranson and Blank to figure it out.. when they go there is plenty of offense in front of them and you open the ice for Z on the Power play his #'s should go way up. Dude is dangerous and you just took the emphasis completely off the blue line adding Johnny to our PP

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Wasn't sure which thread this should go in because I'm sorting through my thoughts around all of what's happened personnel-wise this offseason. But I think this is the most appropriate spot because I think Laine is the crux of the matter. Also, I think I've got some clarity the more I hear local media recap everything.

That recap focuses on the idea that Gaudreau and Laine (and maybe, someday soon, KJ, plus a guy like Voracek) give the Jackets elite scoring, which is an important aspect on building a roster that can compete for whatever. That may well prove out, but I think my hesitancy to embrace the elation over this new "elite"-ness is my feeling about Patrik.

I know there's data to show one thing or another, and I am not concerned about him as a human being. I just haven't been convinced with my eyes and brain that he's a dominant, game-breaking talent. I just feel like his (on-ice) reputation outweighs what I actually see him bring/contribute.

I'm happy to be wrong. I'm prepared to embrace him as a talent and a personality. But he just fallen short for me thus far.

And so, I wonder about his contract, which seems like a near-elite kind of scenario and I'm not feeling it. And I wonder about Bjorkstrand, about who I feel confident in what I'm getting (especially for the cost) and in whom I was vested as a fan on a couple levels.

That's where I'm at.

Last edited:

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Wasn't sure which thread this should go in because I'm sorting through my thoughts around all of what's happened personnel-wise this offseason. But I think this is the most appropriate spot because I think Laine is the crux of the matter. Also, I think I've got some clarity the more I hear local media recap everything.

That recap focuses on the idea that Gaudreau and Laine (and maybe, someday soon, KJ, plus a guy like Voracek) give the Jackets elite scoring, which is an important aspect on building a roster that can compete for whatever. That may well prove out, but I think my hesitancy to embrace the elation over this new "elite"-ness is my feeling about Patrik.

I know there's data to show one thing or another, and I am not concerned about him as a human being. I just haven't been convinced with my eyes and brain that he's a dominant, game-breaking talent. I just feel like his (on-ice) reputation outweighs what I actually see him bring/contribute.

I'm happy to be wrong. I'm prepared to embrace him as a talent and a personality. But he just fallen short for me thus far.

And so, I wonder about his contract, which seems like a near-elite kind of scenario and I'm not feeling it. And I wonder about Bjorkstrand, about who I feel confident in what I'm getting (especially for the cost) and in whom I was vested as a fan on a couple levels.

That's where I'm at.
Maybe I'm jumping the gun but I'm so sold on the idea of Gaudreau and Laine as a duo that it's washed away all concerns I have about just how good Laine is. I know it isn't reasonable to trust a pairing that hasn't even met eachother in person yet, let alone practiced together but I just can't see it failing. Gaudreau is just that good and he's made players far worse than Laine look good. To me the biggest worry with the forwards is what the next lines look like without the stability Bjorkstrand brings.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe I'm jumping the gun but I'm so sold on the idea of Gaudreau and Laine as a duo that it's washed away all concerns I have about just how good Laine is. I know it isn't reasonable to trust a pairing that hasn't even met eachother in person yet, let alone practiced together but I just can't see it failing. Gaudreau is just that good and he's made players far worse than Laine look good. To me the biggest worry with the forwards is what the next lines look like without the stability Bjorkstrand brings.
I get this but…

Why is Laine a guy who Gaudreau will make look good? Why can’t he just look good all on his own? If Laine has made worse players than Laine look good, couldn’t we just play him with a guy who’s worse than Laine and makes less money?

Reactions: thebus88

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

That recap focuses on the idea that Gaudreau and Laine (and maybe, someday soon, KJ, plus a guy like Voracvek) give the Jackets elite scoring, which is an important aspect on building a roster that can compete for whatever. That may well prove out, but I think my hesitancy to embrace the elation over this new "elite"-ness is my feeling about Patrik.

I know there's data to chow one thing or another, and I am not concerned about him as a human being. I just haven't quote been convinced with me eyes and brain that he's a dominant, game-breaking talent. I just feel like his (on-ice) reputation outweighs what I actually see him bring/contribute.

That's where I'm at.

This is completely understandable. I don't know how much you have seen him throughout his career but if the first CBJ year was your first exposure, that would leave a man doubting for a long while.

Good thing here is that he has the opportunity to show it to you now. I think he was good last season, especially considering the injuries and personal loss. He made a difference on the ice for the positive, unfortunately he only player under 60 games. It was a broken season and the ending was flat because team was out of playoffs and Laine had injuries to end the season too. It is a real concern how healthy he will be over his career.

Some of us have seen him play with another great player on the line, so we have expectations that it will go very well because that's how it has played out before. Just not very often has he had the opportunity but he has used it when it has been there. With Aho and with Scheifele, some games with Barkov. The special talent that he can bring can shine better when he's not the only focus of the defense. And this is what Gaudreau will bring. He'll enable Laine to use his best asset more and this combination of talent should prove very potent as in one of the best duos in the league.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I get this but…

Why is Laine a guy who Gaudreau will make look good? Why can’t he just look good all on his own? If Laine has made worse players than Laine look good, couldn’t we just play him with a guy who’s worse than Laine and makes less money?

Fair question, last season Laine played in that sort of role and made people around him better. He did look good on his own. Which one of them goes to 2nd line? Is it the best use of such an expensive asset or should their icetime be maximized to get the max value? I think Jackets offense is deep enough to make good 2nd and 3rd lines without nerfing the first line.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is completely understandable. I don't know how much you have seen him throughout his career but if the first CBJ year was your first exposure, that would leave a man doubting for a long while.

Good thing here is that he has the opportunity to show it to you now. I think he was good last season, especially considering the injuries and personal loss. He made a difference on the ice for the positive, unfortunately he only player under 60 games. It was a broken season and the ending was flat because team was out of playoffs and Laine had injuries to end the season too. It is a real concern how healthy he will be over his career.

Some of us have seen him play with another great player on the line, so we have expectations that it will go very well because that's how it has played out before. Just not very often has he had the opportunity but he has used it when it has been there. With Aho and with Scheifele, some games with Barkov. The special talent that he can bring can shine better when he's not the only focus of the defense. And this is what Gaudreau will bring. He'll enable Laine to use his best asset more and this combination of talent should prove very potent as in one of the best duos in the league.
I can appreciate all of this. Thanks for your thoughtful post.

I'm not going to pretend I watched every game he playted in Winnipeg, or have sought him out on the intrnational stage. But I've seen him play a good bit in both of those scenarios, and this was the same concern I had about him when he was acquired in the PLD trade - that he was good-to-very-good but that he had a reputation as elite. I believe if you were to go back and look at my posting around that time, this would bear out.

So it's an opinion not formed by his CBJ play but rather reinforced by it. I certainly hope for it to be dispelled.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
@Double-Shift Lasse Not all elite scorers are best as line drivers. Doesn’t mean they couldn’t/shouldn’t be paid the premium.

Laine can drive a line. But I think if you want to get the best out of the situation overall you have him play with other elite player/s. I think it’s better for the Leafs as well to have Matthews play with the elite playmaker Marner and not just two semi-good players.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
@Double-Shift Lasse Not all elite scorers are best as line drivers. Doesn’t mean they couldn’t/shouldn’t be paid the premium.

Laine can drive a line. But I think if you want to get the best out of the situation overall you have him play with other elite player/s. I think it’s better for the Leafs as well to have Matthews play with the elite playmaker Marner and not just two semi-good players.

It is true of all elite players. Rising tide lifts all boats. Laine especially benefits from having other threats in the same line, because what he needs is shooting lanes and the puck in the offensive zone and if he is the main threat they will always have a guy shadowing him to block his shooting lanes. With Gaudreau on the ice at the same time the opponent has to make some hard choices and we have guys who will bury them for either choice.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

That's where I'm at.
I understand your concern as you got to used to abysmal 20-21 CBJ Laine (omitting that 1 fantastic game as a Jet before an injury). As that was the baseline, I can also get that the stellar 21-22 performance (1.00PPG difference maker on a team with the next best having only 0.78PPG) was not enough to convince you he really is the elite talent he was projected to be since 16-17, regardless some seasons crippled with injuries.

Scoring on a pace 28% more than the second best of your team (the 2nd best being pretty good player, Voracek) while being one of the couple net neutral / positive 5-on-5 guys on a badly losing team is quite something.

Like Jarmo, I am convinced we haven't seen nearly the best Laine yet. Fingers crossed he stays healthy and he will tear it up with or without Johnny. Obviously 10-20 points more with Johnny than without him, but he has shown he is capable for 1PPG even without high end talent around him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: