Sportsnet: Laine says contract talks are quiet, unsure about future in Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
He is from Finland, it's not like he is used to life in the tropical climates

I once suggested Dobson and Wahlstrom and got eaten alive by Jets fans saying they aren't looking for futures

Dobson isn’t really a future. I could def see him in the league this year, maybe just a short run be he shouldn’t be too far off. No guarantee that he will be a top pairing but he should be a good T4 RHD, something we need badly. I don’t mind taking a blue chip prospect who’s ~1 year away anyways, this will prob be a retool year.
I’m surprised you didn’t get eaten alive by Isles fans. They value those two like they are the second coming of Christ.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Laine who thinks he's a 10 million dollar man which he is not, scored 30 goals and 20 assists in 82 games. as a betting man, Cheveldayoff is probably waiting to see what Benning does with Boeser who is not asking for 10 million but scored 26 goals and 30 assists in 69 games, see what he gets and he will bargain or negotiate through Boesers salary. Probaby the same with Kyle Connor too, thus the hold up.

Looks like Boeser is holding things up :)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I remember when calling a prospect a "blue chip prospect" meant something. Nowadays everyone's top three prospects apparently are blue chip prospects. :facepalm:
Yeah it's getting ridiculous at this point. Saw a Habs poster the other day say they had 3 blue chip c prospects.

1. Kotkaniemi is no longer a prosoect
2. I see it more likely than not that Suzuki doesn't end up a 1c
3. Poehling is even further behind Suzuki from a potential standpoint.

Reactions: Pongs21 and Snowman

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Yeah it's getting ridiculous at this point. Saw a Habs poster the other day say they had 3 blue chip c prospects.

1. Kotkaniemi is no longer a prosoect
2. I see it more likely than not that Suzuki doesn't end up a 1c
3. Poehling is even further behind Suzuki from a potential standpoint.

To each their own. Last year you guys called Roslovic a blue chip prospect and now a 50 points winger is considered a generational talent.

Kotkaniemi is no longer a prospect, I’ll give you that. He also just turned 19 two weeks ago so there’s a case to be made here. Anyway.

Suzuki is at the very worst top 25 on every lists that matters, sometimes even top 15. If that’s not blue chip then I don’t know what else is.

Poehling is debatable. I’ll give you that. He still manage to be named WJC MVP and scored 3 goals in his first NHL game and is usually somewhere in between 30-50 in most people’s top prospects list. If not blue chip, he’s close.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Laine who thinks he's a 10 million dollar man which he is not, scored 30 goals and 20 assists in 82 games. as a betting man, Cheveldayoff is probably waiting to see what Benning does with Boeser who is not asking for 10 million but scored 26 goals and 30 assists in 69 games, see what he gets and he will bargain or negotiate through Boesers salary. Probaby the same with Kyle Connor too, thus the hold up.

Looks like Boeser is holding things up :)

Only report I have read was Laine asking ~8.5M.

When considering this and hypotethical trade plan with Islanders, It could be Beauvillier+Wahlstrom+RhD, what Winnipeg would be after.

Those work with cap.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
To each their own. Last year you guys called Roslovic a blue chip prospect and now a 50 points winger is considered a generational talent.

Kotkaniemi is no longer a prospect, I’ll give you that. He also just turned 19 two weeks ago so there’s a case to be made here. Anyway.

Suzuki is at the very worst top 25 on every lists that matters, sometimes even top 15. If that’s not blue chip then I don’t know what else is.

Poehling is debatable. I’ll give you that. He still manage to be named WJC MVP and scored 3 goals in his first NHL game and is usually somewhere in between 30-50 in most people’s top prospects list. If not blue chip, he’s close.
I love how Laine is a '50 point winger' but 34 point Kotkaniemi is a 'blue chip prospect surefire #1C' LMAO

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Only report I have read was Laine asking ~8.5M.

When considering this and hypotethical trade plan with Islanders, It could be Beauvillier+Wahlstrom+RhD, what Winnipeg would be after.

Those work with cap.

In any Laine trade IMO Winnipeg would want RHD, centers or 1st round picks only. They shouldn't be after any Wingers or LHD as we're already deep there.

With Beauvillier + Whalstrom both being wingers I would put them both on the "not a need" list. For RHD the Islanders have Pulock or Dobson that could be a major part of a trade and at C they have Barzel. If they're not parting with any of those 3 players then there isn't really anything to talk about IMO. They could offersheet at 4 1sts and be successful. Anything less and the Jets match.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I love how Laine is a '50 point winger' but 34 point Kotkaniemi is a 'blue chip prospect surefire #1C' LMAO

Never said he’s a surefire #1 C. I said he would be considered a blue chip prospect if he was eligible. You’re (again) tweaking what I said to try and make me look bad (which you failed again).

Also, if by 21 years old Kotkaniemi is barely a 50 points, struggling defensively and slow feet C then yeah, I’ll be disappointed as you should be with « generational talent » Laine, lmao

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
In any Laine trade IMO Winnipeg would want RHD, centers or 1st round picks only. They shouldn't be after any Wingers or LHD as we're already deep there.

With Beauvillier + Whalstrom both being wingers I would put them both on the "not a need" list. For RHD the Islanders have Pulock or Dobson that could be a major part of a trade and at C they have Barzel. If they're not parting with any of those 3 players then there isn't really anything to talk about IMO. They could offersheet at 4 1sts and be successful. Anything less and the Jets match.

They are assets and you can go on towards a Center trade. It doesn't end there as a building process after a one trade.

Don't believe in offer-sheets. Those compensation scales are just f***ed up, and that's why no one does them (Aho was laughable low). Trades are the way to go.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Never said he’s a surefire #1 C. I said he would be considered a blue chip prospect if he was eligible. You’re (again) tweaking what I said to try and make me look bad (which you failed again).

Also, if by 21 years old Kotkaniemi is barely a 50 points, struggling defensively and slow feet C then yeah, I’ll be disappointed as you should be with « generational talent » Laine, lmao
When Laine was the same age as Kotkaneimi he had more goals than Kotka had points hahahahaha

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
When Laine was the same age as Kotkaneimi he had more goals than Kotka had points hahahahaha

And then he slowly started to regress to a point where at 21 years old he only got 50 points while being one of the worst possession player in the league and having one of the worst (just behind Kronwall) Gf% exp. while being a slow, defensive blackhole and the icing on the cake being him named one of the most overrated player by his fellow hockey co-workers.

I’m impressed. I guess that’s what we call progression, right? Or regression.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Dobson isn’t really a future. I could def see him in the league this year, maybe just a short run be he shouldn’t be too far off. No guarantee that he will be a top pairing but he should be a good T4 RHD, something we need badly. I don’t mind taking a blue chip prospect who’s ~1 year away anyways, this will prob be a retool year.
I’m surprised you didn’t get eaten alive by Isles fans. They value those two like they are the second coming of Christ.
I don't think it's a stretch to call him a future. There have been high profile picks who have not gelled at the NHL level

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
They are assets and you can go on towards a Center trade. It doesn't end there as a building process after a one trade.

Don't believe in offer-sheets. Those compensation scales are just ****ed up, and that's why no one does them (Aho was laughable low). Trades are the way to go.

Fair enough. Then we're really looking at a 3 way trade which is more difficult to pull off but there have been some recently so it's not impossible. Which team wants to trade a 1b type center that is relatively young and under team control for at least 4 years for a couple of winger prospects and a depth RHD? We're in our window right now with key players in Buff, Wheeler and Little not getting any younger and in this example we'd be trading a giant piece of our future in Laine which only makes sense if we'd be doubling down on the current core and acquiring "now" assets. Futures aren't helping at all unless we're also moving Wheeler, Buff and Little going into a rebuild, which we aren't.

Talk is cheap but I believe teams are interested in trading for Laine, why wouldn't they be. I also believe that for the right return anyone is available, afterall even Gretzky was traded. However it needs to make sense for the Jets and that means a 1 for 1 hockey trade (or close to it). That's not what opposing fanbases want to do though, they want to offer up multiple future pieces in exchange for a player like Laine and that makes no sense for the Jets. Especially when they have team control for at least 4 more years.

I also don't believe in offer sheets other than to help frame a trade. i.e. I could offersheet Laine at 4 1sts but he isn't worth that much and then I'll have to live with the inflated contract so instead, will you trade him to me for 3 - 1sts or Beauviller, Whalstrom + RHD which could be equivalent? If the pieces fit maybe a trade could be worked that way but unfortunately those pieces don't fit for the Jets. Islanders do have pieces that would fit, it's just a question of if they're willing to move them and how much they value Laine (or Connor/Ehlers/Roslovic/etc.)

With Barzel you have a great distributor of the puck that you'd want to pair with Laine for the next decade+ so you wouldn't want to move him. Which leaves Pulock or Dobson that the Jets would covet with likely the Jets wanting Pulock more because he helps now and slots pretty seamlessly into the hole left by Trouba on our top pair. That sort of trade hurts the Islanders blue line for the upcoming season as you break in Dobson but the future looks much better as in 3 years you'd have Barzel + Laine in their prime with Bauviller, Whalstrom, etc as supporting cast and on D you'd have Dobson on the top pair with Wilde and Mayfield filling out the Right side.

To me I can see that working for both sides, but a Laine for futures trade that doesn't include Dobson is a no go. If the Islanders can find a 3rd team to work out a 3 way trade that works then great, but it's not reasonable for the Jets to take futures and then go hunting for what they actually need.

Reactions: Snowman

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Well considering Danault has had 1 single year in his career where he might have been better than Little, you do sound either pretty dumb or pretty ignorant

I’m guessing the crux of your argument is point totals? Because Danault has been a better hockey player than Little for multiple seasons. You’d actually know that if you weren’t completely ignorant here.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Don't believe in offer-sheets. Those compensation scales are just ****ed up, and that's why no one does them (Aho was laughable low). Trades are the way to go.

Even one of the guys on TSN said, the Aho offer sheet was just a PR stunt to settle Habs fans down. It had zero chance of success.

Reactions: BatVader
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad