Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
The player closest to Ladd was Buff. They spent a lot of time together in the off season fishing. Since Buff had such disdain for Kane maybe he didn’t care for Laine much either. He seemed to have a real problem with players who put themselves before the team.

Where did you get the idea Laine is putting himself before the team?

Also don't you think Buff just happened to dislike Kane as a person, and not for not giving everything for the team? Buff himself doesn't appear to be the most team first -guy in the history with his rather careless, almost reckless attitude.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The player closest to Ladd was Buff. They spent a lot of time together in the off season fishing. Since Buff had such disdain for Kane maybe he didn’t care for Laine much either. He seemed to have a real problem with players who put themselves before the team.

I do not think Laine puts himself before the team.
He wants to score a lot of goals. SURE.

That is what everybody, every NHL player would hope to be able to do on a consistant basis.

Just Laine is able to do it at a pretty good rate at such a young age.

Maybe Buff is the problem with his attitude?
The team got better (less drama) seems once he was out.

If someone would understand Laine should be him actually, he marches to his drum.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Buff the Saint, Wheeler the Warrior and Scheif the White having problems with Laine the Saviour? Have they fallen to the dark side?? Or were the hordes of fans wrong and it's actually Laine the Imp??? Quickly, someone ask Paul the Wise! :sarcasm::laugh:

I would crack a joke about how this thread has gotten lately, but who am I kidding, I'm loving it, it's just like the good old times with endless content.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Can we please pin this post. The false narrative of Chef and Ehlers taking team friendly contracts, when they in fact were nothing more than what the market dictated at the moment they signed long term. If a player is willing to bet on himself, there is more money to be made with short contracts until you break out for real. As an example, Chef and Ehlers traded those extra millions for job security on a long term deal before they hit their prime. You can't both have the cake and it, except in ultra rare cases.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your response to a rational post about what deals young Jets got at the time they signed. There is a strong case they were fair deals at the time. My question is what is this current flat cap market going to do to salaries? I believe it’s already kicking the hell out of the values and that won’t change next off season. Teams got caught budgeting for a predictable inflation factor that vanished overnight and was replaced by a flat cap that will last for almost half a decade.

Could this cause a mild deflationary effect? What will the new comps start looking like next summer? Good players are signing these 1 year deals trying to wait and see?

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don’t necessarily disagree with your response to a rational post about what deals young Jets got at the time they signed. There is a strong case they were fair deals at the time. My question is what is this current flat cap market going to do to salaries? I believe it’s already kicking the hell out of the values and that won’t change next off season. Teams got caught budgeting for a predictable inflation factor that vanished overnight and was replaced by a flat cap that will last for almost half a decade.

Could this cause a mild deflationary effect? What will the new comps start looking like next summer? Good players are signing these 1 year deals trying to wait and see?
If the NHL has to go another year with no ticket sales the players are going to take a hit to their big wallets for sure. I don't see us getting back to going to Jets games until 2022 . :(

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If the NHL has to go another year with no ticket sales the players are going to take a hit to their big wallets for sure. I don't see us getting back to going to Jets games until 2022 . :(

I am pretty sure that in that case they have to agree on a paycut. For example 30% off of every player salaries. It's hard to see all the teams surviving otherwise. And it's better get eg. 7M as a 10M salary guy than 0M with a lockout.

Reactions: Jets 31

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
That would be pretty rich coming from Buff considering his history of freelance play and commitment to overall fitness. From what I've heard he didn't exactly leave on good terms with Blake.
Wheeler and Buff are good friends and their wives and kids are best friends (that comes straight from Wheeler)

Any article or interview Wheeler did in the subject of Buff last year he always defended Buff.

doesn’t seem like people who ended on bad terms.

Reactions: Inshallah

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Robert Griffin 111 RG3 was known as the fittest player on the Washington football club roster when he was there.... means nothing.
Laine’s conditioning is not poor by any means.
I stood next to him and his body fat is likely 10% which is hard to maintain without keeping fit.

His body fat is nowhere near 10%. Much higher, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
769D7775-6F5E-4486-9A90-B7B93C9A662D.jpeg
His body fat is nowhere near 10%. Much higher, and there's nothing wrong with that.

When I saw him it was definitely 10% area.
At worst 12%
A reasonably fit young male is 12-18%
I used to be in that same 10% range lol in my thirties.
Went to U of M for underwater weighing.
So long ago now at 25% :laugh:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Wheeler and Buff are good friends and their wives and kids are best friends (that comes straight from Wheeler)

Any article or interview Wheeler did in the subject of Buff last year he always defended Buff.

doesn’t seem like people who ended on bad terms.

Wheeler did call out buff for “ quitting “ in a interview.

Sounds pretty salty to me

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Wheeler did call out buff for “ quitting “ in a interview.

Sounds pretty salty to me
I don’t remember ever reading/watching that.

I also haven’t been able to find a single negative thing Wheeler said about Buff on the subject of what happened last year.

Edit here are quotes from Wheeler on the subject.

“I’ve been adamant over my time in Winnipeg that I wouldn’t trade Buff for anyone in the league, and I meant that,” Wheeler said. “So obviously a depleted blue line coming into the season, and then you lose your best guy. Selfishly, it hurts. But you’ve got to be respectful of a guy. Especially a guy that’s brought it like he has for so long, and everything he’s done for us. That was his decision to make.

“I don’t think that makes him a villain,” Wheeler said. “It might have set this team back a little bit this year and put us in a tough spot, there’s no question there. I think overall people will get to that point… maybe the bad taste of that goes away, people will wake up and say ‘Man, Buff was one of the great ones for this organization.’”

“I came here with Buff and we’ve grown up in this organization together, and our wives are pretty much best friends,” he said. “Two-thirds of our kids, the youngest ones are too young… are best friends. So those are all the things that go beyond hockey that make it really tough. And then obviously you add the element to the ice, and staying here with the dreams of winning it all, and obviously Buff’s a big part of that.

“The love and respect I have for him is kind of the over-riding emotion now, after kind of going through a range of emotions all season,” Wheeler said. “You don’t know what you have until it’s gone, you know what I mean? And shoot, we miss that guy.”

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I completely agree Laine can change physically or his attitude or whatever he likes during this pause (to be clear I’m claiming he has any issues b/c none of us know). If true, I’m guessing some guys likely have questioned his work habits off ice during the season and training during offseasons. Laine has admitted to poor diet in the past, losing weight (suggesting fat beforehand to some degree), he often has looked gassed on the ice etc.....but as fans it’s all speculation......but there is no fooling the guys in the locker room, they know when a guy is gassed or not, eating healthy or not, in the gym or not. As we’ve all heard many times over the years, guys in the locker room police themselves largely and I have no issue with that. Again I’m not saying anything specifically about any players habits b/c none of us know.

Big difference between childish rumours and calling out a teammate to be more accountable. Saying a guy is out of shape is being honest & accountable, not childish or slinging mud.

Laine has a huge amount of talent, his work ethic is still questionable IMO
Completely disagree. I don’t think there is any proof of him having a poor work ethic. As a matter of fact I see exactly the opposite. People take little comments, blow them out of proportion and start rumors.

It’s terrible.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
View attachment 374930

When I saw him it was definitely 10% area.
At worst 12%
A reasonably fit young male is 12-18%
I used to be in that same 10% range lol in my thirties.
Went to U of M for underwater weighing.
So long ago now at 25% :laugh:

15% is generally when your abs start to show (obviously people can carry fat differently). I suspect Laine hasn't even sniffed 15%. 10% is lean, leaner than most realize. You're shredded at 10%, and Laine just isn't.

Pic added for reference. These are dexascan results, and can certainly be off. The guy at 14% figures each of them are slightly lower than the scan suggested.

maxresdefault.jpg

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
15% is generally when your abs start to show (obviously people can carry fat differently). I suspect Laine hasn't even sniffed 15%. 10% is lean, leaner than most realize. You're shredded at 10%, and Laine just isn't.

Pic added for reference. These are dexascan results, and can certainly be off. The guy at 14% figures each of them are slightly lower than the scan suggested.

View attachment 374950

I could post a picture when I was 8% as verified at U of M I was shredded wheat but much smaller.
Laine was very lean in that pic .
No more than 12 would be the worst case

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
I could post a picture when I was 8% as verified at U of M I was shredded wheat but much smaller.
Laine was very lean in that pic .
No more than 12 would be the worst case

Laine is lean in the pic with the hoody? No. He literally looks like he's sporting A cups under there. :naughty:

If he's 10-12%, Brind'amour must've been -3%.

Post your pic though, I'm intrigued. 8% is pretty crazy, especially compared to us normies. :nod:

I picture Laine looking more like this when the tarp is off...ovechkin_khl.jpg

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Why do you keep saying things like this? “Players who put themselves before the team”.

The gossiping here is driving me crazy. No one knows anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad