Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Theoretically, we could run Laine left side, Ehlers right side, Pionk up top, Scheif down low, and Wheeler in front to help make the point shot a threat with screens and tips(god knows Wheels can get a stick on them), i think we’d be good.
Id be willing to try anything that includes laine Ehlers Scheif and Pionk. I just don’t think that wheeler is that guy to quarterback from the right anymore. Ehlers has looked good there I think?

Reactions: Psych0dad

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Most teams don't play their star player on both pp, other than Washington and Laine is no Ovie.
If you’re down goal(s) why not? I’m sure I see Crosby mcdavid ovi etc out for most of the Pp if not all.

for me at least this isn’t about Laine specifically, it’s just making the most of an opportunity to get a goal.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Most teams don't play their star player on both pp, other than Washington and Laine is no Ovie.

Laine is more accurate and a threat from further out. You're right, he is no ovie. Ovechkin has a much better PP unit around him and gets a ton more shots because of that. If Jets revamp the PP and use Laine full 2 mins that can easily change it for the better. Maurice has this rigid, stuck thought that it has to go from Wheeler to Laine. That's holding everything back.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
The ”regression” of Laine continues with another game without ES goals... jokes aside, Laine is quietly racking up 1p/gp while being solid defensively. Just wait until he gets hot and starts filling the net at ES as well - - all the talk about the regression of this 21 years old supertalent will look quite silly then.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Laine is more accurate and a threat from further out. You're right, he is no ovie. Ovechkin has a much better PP unit around him and gets a ton more shots because of that. If Jets revamp the PP and use Laine full 2 mins that can easily change it for the better. Maurice has this rigid, stuck thought that it has to go from Wheeler to Laine. That's holding everything back.

16-17 to 19-20 power play shot attempts:

Ovechkin 746
Laine 474

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
16-17 to 19-20 power play shot attempts:

Ovechkin 746
Laine 474

Ovi throws everything at net. Laine is a (too) picky shooter. Ovi is also a physical beast. Laine is not so it’s easy to see why one has always been successful. Laine just has to do what is best for him. He’s not Ovi but his shot is incredible all the same. He will never score goals similar to Ovi except for the one timer.

Going back a couple of posts about the Caps PP being better, they have one thing we don’t have and that is an elite point man.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Ovi throws everything at net. Laine is a (too) picky shooter. Ovi is also a physical beast. Laine is not so it’s easy to see why one has always been successful. Laine just has to do what is best for him. He’s not Ovi but his shot is incredible all the same. He will never score goals similar to Ovi except for the one timer.

Going back a couple of posts about the Caps PP being better, they have one thing we don’t have and that is an elite point man.

Yes, a lot of people make the Ovi comparison, but it's a little apples/oranges to me. Sure they both have a reputation for scoring on the PP from the same place, but I think it ends there. At least for now.

We really don't know what Laine is going to turn into and how his development will go. Will he fill out and become a 6'5" muscular beast? Will his agility continue to improve? He's still very young and I think some tend to forget exactly how young 21 is in the NHL, especially when that 21 year old is making plays like he is at a PPG rate.

I don't think anyone predicted his drastic change in play this season, he always seems to be like a box of chocolates :) so it will be interesting to see how he progresses throughout this season and how he comes back each year.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I have been really happy with the progression of Patrik’s game this season.
And you doubted me, Shame on you!
When have I ever been wrong on HF?! Only once every third post but who’s counting.
I’m loving his game this year. Would anyone really want to get rid of this guy now? I said in the Helly thread that I’m enjoying that thread and this one getting quieter and quieter......
:nod:

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
And you doubted me, Shame on you!
When have I ever been wrong on HF?! Only once every third post but who’s counting.
I’m loving his game this year. Would anyone really want to get rid of this guy now? I said in the Helly thread that I’m enjoying that thread and this one getting quieter and quieter......
:nod:

I have always said we have to let it play out until he is 23. He remains an improving work in progress. His ceiling will be interesting to see.

Reactions: Halberdier and GNP

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I have always said we have to let it play out until he is 23. He remains an improving work in progress. His ceiling will be interesting to see.
Once hes done rounding out game and goes back to Shooting more he can be Pasternak level in his 20s

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
Still delivering some pizza last game, and tried to pass when he should have taken a shot. Sure, we don’t see what he is seeing on ice level so maybe goalie was covering the angle in good position so he elected to pass. I know I was furious when he did not shoot from there. But be also tipped one wide in front of the net which could have been a nice goal with a bit more luck. Some wasted opportunities but still a win which is the most important thing. And a couple of apples to go with it so I dare not complain :thumbu:

I have to admit though that apples just don’t taste as good as goals, well maybe an apple to beautiful/winning goal tastes better that meaningless garbagegoal :D

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Over a PPG and point leader on the Jets. Not bad for a 21 year old.

Certainly not a bad statline (apples, points, +/-, super low PIM):

Screenshot_20191130_114448.jpg

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Certainly not a bad statline (apples, points, +/-, super low PIM):

View attachment 284611
There is lots to like about his game now, but no matter how good he plays it seems that a faction of fans will only point out the mistakes that he does during a game. Laine is now the leading scorer on this offensively gifted team, playing at least as good defensively as his linemates Chef and Connor, but scoring less goals than what we are expecting from him. All in all things are going well for the Jets and Laine has a huge part in that. We should just enjoy the results that we are getting from this group that plays more like a TEAM, and stop nitpicking about isolated events like bobbled passes or missed shot opportunitys. Just enjoy the game :cheers:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
There is lots to like about his game now, but no matter how good he plays it seems that a faction of fans will only point out the mistakes that he does during a game. Laine is now the leading scorer on this offensively gifted team, playing at least as good defensively as his linemates Chef and Connor, but scoring less goals than what we are expecting from him. All in all things are going well for the Jets and Laine has a huge part in that. We should just enjoy the results that we are getting from this group that plays more like a TEAM, and stop nitpicking about isolated events like bobbled passes or missed shot opportunitys. Just enjoy the game :cheers:

Word. Sometimes reading the forum you'd think Laine is costing the team games with his horrible mistakes. Yet in real life he leads the team in both points and 5v5 goal differential. Go figure.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm just waiting for that goal scoring streak to begin that happens every year. Laine even had a short campaign last year when he was at his weakest. Once that happens and you add in all that good overall effort he could be pushing for huge numbers. He's a great passer but when you have one of the kind shooting arsenal, you should just blast it instead of looking up for lanes.

He really should be used in both of the PP units, if for no better reason than to really get that confidence/(goal) scoring touch back. He's always been one of the best PP players so it really is a no-brainer, but perhaps P'Mo is worried how that might influence/set off the team dynamics by giving one player bigger role than others. After all Maurice already broke off the bromance so he's clearly walking on a thin ice. :sarcasm:

Why Laine is passing more and getting more assists is kind of understandable though. Before he served in a dysfunctional unit and had no one to rely on than himself in order to score, but now he's playing with much better players who think/see the game on a higher level.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad