Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Yes it probably has much to do with mindset - but different than what you suggest. I believe Laine has persuaded himself that he needs to play this way if he is to stay on the top line with Schiefele... . Schiefele has modified his game so that he now positions himself as the the "finisher" on the top line and lobbies for wingers who will support him in that role.Laine has therefore sacrificed his shooting strength so as to be a better support for Schiefele.

Reactions: teamfortheone

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I'm actually a bit curious, once he evolves a bit or more, do you see him in the right handed power play kinda players or do you prefer his earlier thinking to be "wrong" can just let the man to be a right winger?

Power play may be given, the office of Ovi that Laine goes, but as a regular line up (es). He's not mature enough for me to play the game at left winger, but what do you see in the future?

It's a difficult question I guess, since we don't know who he will be playing with and how he's body matures. I'm sure he would be great either way. I have not much knowleadge about our younger men or what we're hoping for... but what do would be your preference by just looking (and thinking to evolve) as later?

Sorry about the million scenarios question. Just interested since I've always liked he's ways doing "the Ovi". They are simular, but... not. Both good, though. Laine would have gone already if he wasn't at least good.

I mean in all the ramblings of mine, would you rather see him as a right or a left winger in few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard Chuck

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I've personally felt like his shot is pretty lackluster this year, which is really weird. I wonder if he's hurting.
Read somewhere last week his shoulder is not 100%
Sorry cannot remember for the life of me where I read that.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I'm going to talk about something that I briefly mentioned in the Moose thread, and that's training.

I have a background as a classical guitarist and have done some teaching, and one of the biggest mistakes people make training is that they know what they're good at, so they keep doing it and hammering it in, while they don't really focus on what they're bad at simply because it's a lot less fun to be bad at something than it is to be good at something. Thing is that there is a lot more room for improvement working on your weaknesses whereas improving on your strengths will be less and less effective relative to the time put into them.

Laine is working hard at something that he's not known for, his shot will always be there but he's putting a lot of effort into an area of his game that he's been criticized for in the past. Because of this he might be overly focused on it and he might use it at the wrong times and make mistakes, but the fact that he's addressing it is way more important to me than a couple mistakes as it's showing a willingness to learn and that he doesn't want to be a one trick pony. When he gets more comfortable with this area of his game he should be able to be more discerning on when to shoot or pass, but I believe he'll be better overall because of it in the end.

This is an exceptional piece of logic. Thanks! :thumbu:

Reactions: Atoyot

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Laine almost never gets good looks in the slot due to Connor and our fling a wrister from the point d-men. He gets nothing off the rush. Baffles me how an org makes no attempt to acquire a playmaking linemate for a guy with 120 goals at 21. It’s incompetent.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Laine almost never gets good looks in the slot due to Connor and our fling a wrister from the point d-men. He gets nothing off the rush. Baffles me how an org makes no attempt to acquire a playmaking linemate for a guy with 120 goals at 21. It’s incompetent.

Little ruins Laine
Wheeler ruins Laine
Now Scheif/Connor ruins Laine.

Apparently Laine is so awesome, nobody can play with him.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Liane score some goals and stop passing so much!!!

liane-59df15.jpg

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
What's the next move... scoring while not shooting, not passing, just redirecting that puck to score?

I personally don't know anything, but maybe the kid is alright after all.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Little ruins Laine
Wheeler ruins Laine

This needs a Super Like button .:nod: Laine has been playing much better in his own end but that isn't going to affect his offensive game . He does need to shoot a little more and i think that will eventually happen especially playing with our best center . Connor isn't the best passer but Laine isn't playing with slugs either and they are also getting the other teams best now all the time .

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm actually a bit curious, once he evolves a bit or more, do you see him in the right handed power play kinda players or do you prefer his earlier thinking to be "wrong" can just let the man to be a right winger?

Power play may be given, the office of Ovi that Laine goes, but as a regular line up (es). He's not mature enough for me to play the game at left winger, but what do you see in the future?

It's a difficult question I guess, since we don't know who he will be playing with and how he's body matures. I'm sure he would be great either way. I have not much knowleadge about our younger men or what we're hoping for... but what do would be your preference by just looking (and thinking to evolve) as later?

Sorry about the million scenarios question. Just interested since I've always liked he's ways doing "the Ovi". They are simular, but... not. Both good, though. Laine would have gone already if he wasn't at least good.

I mean in all the ramblings of mine, would you rather see him as a right or a left winger in few years.

For me, it's wherever he can have the best effect on the team. Honestly, I'm not sure right now. I've seen plenty of plays from both positions. I think he had most scoring success from LW to this point in his career though didn't he?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Little ruins Laine
Wheeler ruins Laine

I think it's just a matter of people looking to optimize a lineup. Laine is doing just fine as the points leader on the team. I believe that some just think there is even more to wring out of him.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
25 points 25 games am I the only one not worried about his current goal totals? I like the progression in his game so far this season.

Not worried in the least either. Just really enjoying watching the growth of a very young player who we get to see in a Jets jersey. We will look back on this someday as a very special time imo.

Reactions: ps241

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
I think it's just a matter of people looking to optimize a lineup. Laine is doing just fine as the points leader on the team. I believe that some just think there is even more to wring out of him.

I understand this, but when every line he is put on is apparently holding him back, what do people expect? People begged for him to be put with Scheif. Now Scheif shoots too much taking away Laine's strength. So what center should he play with? The post I responded to said we should go out and get one. I have the impression only McDavid will do, but I suspect McDavid also shoots too much.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I understand this, but when every line he is put on is apparently holding him back, what do people expect? People begged for him to be put with Scheif. Now Scheif shoots too much taking away Laine's strength. So what center should he play with? The post I responded to said we should go out and get one. I have the impression only McDavid will do, but I suspect McDavid also shoots too much.

I know what you're saying, but remember it's usually only one or two people that are on the extreme side of things. I'm a huge Laine fan, and I'm totally happy with where he is and what is going on in Jetsland.

I think the vast majority of Laine fans and Jets fans and Laine/Jets fans are very happy :)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Little ruins Laine
Wheeler ruins Laine

The notion that the Jets should be tailoring their offensive attack around Laine isn't the same as saying "X is ruining Laine". Is anyone saying that? Do you feel it's implied by the frustration evident in those wondering why feeding Laine the puck isn't Job One? If a point per game at age 21 is "ruined" I guess the bar has been set a bit high... :laugh:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
on the PP; iCF (shot-attempts courtesy off NSS)

SeasonGPSOGS%iCFSOG/GPiCF/GP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
When he gets more comfortable with this area of his game he should be able to be more discerning on when to shoot or pass, but I believe he'll be better overall because of it in the end.

Great post.

I would add that in order to know what is optimal you sometimes need to go way over the line and then reel things back. Although in Laine case it might simply be that more of his attention is focused on finding those passes and less are focused on finding the lane to the goal. Once he's comfortable finding those passes he will probably be better able to look for both options simultaneously.

boanst

May 25, 2013
25 points 25 games am I the only one not worried about his current goal totals? I like the progression in his game so far this season.
Same here. I would like to see him crack 80 points this year, couldn't possibly care less how many are goals.

Reactions: ps241

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Great post.

I would add that in order to know what is optimal you sometimes need to go way over the line and then reel things back. Although in Laine case it might simply be that more of his attention is focused on finding those passes and less are focused on finding the lane to the goal. Once he's comfortable finding those passes he will probably be better able to look for both options simultaneously.
This touches on what I wrote earlier about the reasons why Laine isn’t scoring goals like before. I’m not worried about it since he will surely find the balance between taking a shot and passing the puck when an opportunity presents itself. One can’t just look at shot totals to notice that he’s been giving up great shooting opportunities and opts for a pass in situations that he just would have instinctively buried it before. All we need is patience while we watch him score at a ppg rate.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
on the PP; iCF (shot-attempts courtesy off NSS)

SeasonGPSOGS%iCFSOG/GPiCF/GP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Using /gp is just plain wrong when talking about PP... you need to use /60 because of the variance of PP time.

iCF/60SOG/60
16-1731.4617.56
17-1835.2917.77
18-1939.5119.86
19-2030.1815.09
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Using /gp is just plain wrong when talking about PP... you need to use /60 because of the variance of PP time.

iCF/60SOG/60
16-1731.4617.56
17-1835.2917.77
18-1939.5119.86
19-2030.1815.09
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
We're still dealing with a very small sample for this season...so 30.18 and 15.09 is probably not too significant.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

That line has 3 primary shooters. It doesn't make sense from that perspective. They could make the team deeper by swapping Perreault and Connor, get a shooter for the 3rd line and a pass first puck hound for 1st. This would get more shots out of Laine and Scheifele, maybe Connor too since he'd play in a line that has two puck hounds.

I don't think anyone is unhappy that Laine finally got 1st line duty, he has been the best player since and the stats show it too. That was expected. Nothing wrong with tweaking the lines more, see what works and what brings best results for the team. Trying Perreault or some other "non shooter" in that line would be worth a shot, see if Connor would also get the 3rd line scoring, they are good at getting the pressure in opponents end but bad at finishing. Or try swapping Ehlers and Connor, see how that works for the team. There's options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad