Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
The lack of creativeness is by far the biggest problem for me with the present Jets and especially with Maurice’s coaching. He is exactly a creativity killer. The power play is the worst kind of example of it, but unfortunately the same applies also way too much to the 5 on 5 play for the Jets. This is the biggest reason why I would like to get rid of Maurice ASAP.

Power play is not so much coached these days, it's often left for the players themselves to work out or at least the coach intervenes less on PP than on the 5 vs 5 game. In other words if the PP isn't working, it's not as much on the coach as 5 vs 5.

Secondly, PP is usually delegated to an assistant coach, can't remember who it is in Winnipeg, but I remember reading it's not Maurice. Actually some teams have recently recruited new assistant coaches specifically to improve their PP numbers.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Power play is not so much coached these days, it's often left for the players themselves to work out or at least the coach intervenes less on PP than on the 5 vs 5 game. In other words if the PP isn't working, it's not as much on the coach as 5 vs 5.

Secondly, PP is usually delegated to an assistant coach, can't remember who it is in Winnipeg, but I remember reading it's not Maurice. Actually some teams have recently recruited new assistant coaches specifically to improve their PP numbers.

Jamie Kompon runs it I believe

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

The head coach is still always responsible for the situation, if they don’t really actively search for new better working power play options. There are clearly Maurice’s footprints all around the dysfunctional power play and just keeping on hitting their heads against the wall with the same awfully non-creative stuff game after game. It is all 100% the head coaches fault when everything has been continuing so long in such the same way, as it has been going on with the Jets. Shame on Maurice really.

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Laine going for a Thornton-esque 15G 70A season, like we all predicted. :laugh:

In his talk with Maurice during the summer Maurice probably told him he should get more assists, so now that's all he does.

Actually, you can see he'd like to shoot more on the power play but he keeps getting crappy passes from the defenseman. Morrissey passes to him like he's a four-year-old. Like, WTF?

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
In his talk with Maurice during the summer Maurice probably told him he should get more assists, so now that's all he does.

Actually, you can see he'd like to shoot more on the power play but he keeps getting crappy passes from the defenseman. Morrissey passes to him like he's a four-year-old. Like, WTF?
Indeed. On PP, there's time to make a sandwich in the time it takes a pass from the D to reach Laine. I don't know if they've watched any other teams' PP but that's really not how you're supposed to set up one-timers in a pro league.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Morrissey (#44) passed like a 4-year-old, but then fortunately Scheifele (#55) did show him how to pass like a 5-year-old. So it got better...

That 4-on-3 PP was full of WTF moments when Morrissey and Scheifele kept feeding those passes like four and five-year-olds, and then Laine properly feeding Morrissey like saying "that's how you do that, it's quite simple, actually".

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Morrissey (#44) passed like a 4-year-old, but then fortunately Scheifele (#55) did show him how to pass like a 5-year-old. So it got better...

That 4-on-3 PP was full of WTF moments when Morrissey and Scheifele kept feeding those passes like four and five-year-olds, and then Laine properly feeding Morrissey like saying "that's how you do that, it's quite simple, actually".

Laine absolutely is the best passer on the team. I've been saying this for quite some time now. He can beam the puck tape-to-tape with his backhand like it was nothing. Much harder than the usual D (lets say Pionk in this instance) does on the forehand on the powerplay. The pass is accurate and sharp. Probably has something to do with having such a cannon as well. It's another thing to get into those passing lanes and he's not the fastest guy out there which is why this part of his game gets so underrated. Not to mention why some idiots or should I say "fans" are calling him one-dimensional.

His shot has been off the mark this year and that's so strange. I can't remember the last time he's failed to connect this many scoring chances. The goals will come though, just a matter of time.

But man do I hope it's not ELL the next game. The idea just scares the s**t out of me.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
His shot has been off the mark this year and that's so strange. I can't remember the last time he's failed to connect this many scoring chances. The goals will come though, just a matter of time.

Yup. He even fanned a shot in one game, which is quite unusual for him.

But man do I hope it's not ELL the next game. The idea just scares the s**t out of me.

I'll bet we will see just that next game. CSW + ELL will be TOP-6 lines for Maurice in the next game, as those were latest that came from his infamous line blender against Calgary. ELL is obviously waste of talent, but on the other hand Ehlers has been really great lately and it just might be that Ehlers and Laine might generate something, and on offensive zone faceoffs Little is miles better than Scheifele. But yeah, I share your pain watching ELL.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I miss goals. We've already got enough over passers haha

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Laine absolutely is the best passer on the team. I've been saying this for quite some time now. He can beam the puck tape-to-tape with his backhand like it was nothing. Much harder than the usual D (lets say Pionk in this instance) does on the forehand on the powerplay. The pass is accurate and sharp. Probably has something to do with having such a cannon as well. It's another thing to get into those passing lanes and he's not the fastest guy out there which is why this part of his game gets so underrated. Not to mention why some idiots or should I say "fans" are calling him one-dimensional.

I’ve been saying for quite some time that Laine is the best passer on the team. Incredible quick crisp accurate passes.

I agree with everyone who says the rest of the team passes so sloooooowwwww.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I’ve been saying for quite some time that Laine is the best passer on the team. Incredible quick crisp accurate passes.

I agree with everyone who says the rest of the team passes so sloooooowwwww.
No arguments here. But that I will confirm, I can take a powernap when I look at the passes going there with "lightning speed". Not Laine's, almost everyone elses.

Would you be interested if Laine is in a passing mood, he'll just score with passes? Nothing like a five hole pass goal! Or a saucer to top corner. That way he can safe the "real" goals for playoffs or something to break a record or two.

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ovechkin 60 shots
Matthews 52 shots
Laine 35 shots

Come on Man!!!
Take more shot :(
He doesn't really get the puck in positions where he could take more shots, so he's passing way more. In the future that might change but I'm pretty doubtful it'll be this season. He's becoming more of a line driver though, which is exciting.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Did you listen to Mau's interview with Scott Oake?
It will be:
CSW
ELL
Written in stone.

He did not see how well ESL & CLW worked in the last game, but he saw one shift of CSW yesterday and singled it out for joy. :shakehead The man is effing blind.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Did you listen to Mau's interview with Scott Oake?
It will be:
CSW
ELL
Written in stone.

He did not see how well ESL & CLW worked in the last game, but he saw one shift of CSW yesterday and singled it out for joy. :shakehead The man is effing blind.

Apparently Jets won because PoMo is a genius and put CSW together:

"Yeaah... And then what happens tonight Kyle Connor goes out there and the whole game changes and slants to the Jets so... Actually that's pretty good, but I did split them up last game... I have a pretty good idea what it looks like when they get split up, there may come a time for that but ummm... I run the bench."

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Apparently Jets won because PoMo is a genius and put CSW together:

"Yeaah... And then what happens tonight Kyle Connor goes out there and the whole game changes and slants to the Jets so... Actually that's pretty good, but I did split them up last game... I have a pretty good idea what it looks like when they get split up, there may come a time for that but ummm... I run the bench."

The GWG was scored by Little from Connor, no?

Reactions: thegr8one66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad