Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
No because he would have played in the NHL and would have to retire from the NHL, similar to Kovy's situation with the Devils and needing permission to come back, except he would still owe us 4 years of team control. It's not like a regular cut and run situation as an RFA, where most teams just lapse rights. The Jets aren't lapsing Laine's rights.

If Laine played in Europe it would be more like Radulov who left like in his early 20s and was able to become a UFA at 27

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If Laine played in Europe it would be more like Radulov who left like in his early 20s and was able to become a UFA at 27

It's different for 18 year olds. Burmistrov is a similar situation. Atlanta signed him at 18 and he played in the NHL at 18 so when he left we owned his rights indefinitely. No matter when he decided to come back as long as we retained his rights, he owed us the remaining years of his rights. I think it has something to do with high level players who come in early not being able to leave the NHL and come back and play for whomever they want at 27. Radulov didn't sign his first contract until he was 20 so it didn't apply to him.

Edit: Nevermind I am wrong. He wouldn't owe us the remaining years. But we would retain his rights so he can only sign with us. But if he signed a 1 year contract he would become UFA the very next year. But no matter what we would still own his rights no matter how old he is.

Last edited:

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Letting Laine walk would be a win-win situation:
  • Laine gets to be the pure 50 goal scorer for whichever team he signs with
  • Winnipeg gets rid of his (to-be) expensive contract and lack of dedication

Reactions: jonlin

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
No because he would have played in the NHL and would have to retire from the NHL, similar to Kovy's situation with the Devils and needing permission to come back, except he would still owe us 4 years of team control. It's not like a regular cut and run situation as an RFA, where most teams just lapse rights. The Jets aren't lapsing Laine's rights. I believe we had a similar situation when Burmistrov left.

Are you actually comparing Burmistrov with Laine? Winnipeg is as likely to klet Laine walk as Burmistrov? :D Ownership, managment and coaching seems on target in the "True North"?

Reactions: Ippenator

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
So it's play by Laine's terms or don't play at all? That won't fly with Chevy. Every player on this team earns every inch they get. Laine is not entitled to special treatment. This is a blue color team we don't give hand outs. He wants that big term and money he has to prove he's worth it and after last seasonw abomination he didn't prove ****. He played with His most common linemates in 17/18 was Bryan Little and Nik Ehlers. His most common linemates last year were Nik Ehlers and Byran Little. Yet he got even more PP time than the year before. So his best argument goes out the window when he had his best season with Little and Ehlers, yet his worst season with Little and Ehlers.
Don’t kid yourself. Not a single team in the NHL is a blue collar team. We are talking about billionaires who pay millionaires to entertain the middle class + the occasional blue collar person.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Are you actually comparing Burmistrov with Laine? Winnipeg is as likely to klet Laine walk as Burmistrov? :D Ownership, managment and coaching seems on target in the "True North"?

What part of this don't you get Laine isn't walking anywhere expect Finland. Long walk from what I've heard.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Don’t kid yourself. Not a single team in the NHL is a blue collar team. We are talking about billionaires who pay millionaires to entertain the middle class + the occasional blue collar person.

You're obviously are new to Jets fandom. Everyone here earns their money, this isn't Toronto. You don't get paid $11 million for being drafted in the top 5.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Are you saying that the talk of Winnipegians being cheapskates are true? That’s not a good look on you.

Good we don't want greedy f***s on this team. Go waste away in New York. Get your money and have fun with a team spent to the cap that cant even provide depth if they wanted to.

We want to win, not see how many cars our players can buy. You earn your contract here and it will be fair. You don't like it hit the road.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Good we don't want greedy ****s on this team. Go waste away in New York. Get your money and have fun with a team spent to the cap that cant even provide depth if they wanted to.

We want to win, not see how many cars our players can buy. You earn your contract here and it will be fair. You don't like it hit the road.
The Jets are a cap team just like the Rangers, but keep telling yourself that they are good ol’ blue collar boys who’ve earned their paycheck, instead of just seeing them for what they all are: young talented men making millions by playing ice hockey, for teams owned by billionaires.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Jets are a cap team just like the Rangers, but keep telling yourself that they are good ol’ blue collar boys who’ve earned their paycheck, instead of just seeing them for what they all are: young talented men making millions by playing ice hockey, for teams owned by billionaires.

Blue collar in the sense that everyone on this team earns their money, it's not handed to them. But I guess you probably don't know what blue collar work is.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Blue collar in the sense that everyone on this team earns their money, it's not handed to them. But I guess you probably don't know what blue collar work is.
Holy assumptions, Batman!
I actually have a blue collar background and upbringing, and I have spent large parts of my life doing work that most people wouldn’t touch.

I have no idea about who you are or what your background looks like, so I am just going to assume that you know what blue collar work is as well. You just happen to be wrong about the mindset of the vast majority of professional ice hockey players and people who work in the business. Try to understand this: ice hockey is a very expensive sport played by a majority of middle class or wealthy kids, which means that calling them “blue collar” is just a bad joke.

More to your point that I guess you are trying to make, every player who makes it to the NHL has put in the work for it and “earned it”. For all I know, Chef seems like the most entitled of the bunch, and I like him a lot.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of contracts Laine and Connor earn themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Holy assumptions, Batman!
I actually have a blue collar background and upbringing, and I have spent large parts of my life doing work that most people wouldn’t touch.

I have no idea about who you are or what your background looks like, so I am just going to assume that you know what blue collar work is as well. You just happen to be wrong about the mindset of the vast majority of professional ice hockey players and people who work in the business. Try to understand this: ice hockey is a very expensive sport played by a majority of middle class or wealthy kids, which means that calling them “blue collar” is just a bad joke.

More to your point that I guess you are trying to make, every player who makes it to the NHL has put in the work for it and “earned it”. For all I know, Chef seems like the most entitled of the bunch, and I like him a lot.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of contracts Laine and Connor earn themselves.

Connor has earned a long term contract in the 6-7 mil range. Laine wants a long term ontract in the 9+ range, but he hasn't earned much more than Connor. Unless you look purely at goals, but you and I both know there is a lot more to hockey then just blasting point shots on the PP.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's half-joking, but if he could get to play with a C that he connects with, he would well be a monster sniper. Perhaps in Vegas with Stastny? Or in Carolina with Aho, who he knows really well.

oh I agree. But where I disagree with contract ask and contract get is you should be the driver of the bus when you want that kind of money, not the passenger. Ovechkin took Jeff Halpern along as his center for the ride in 05/06 and scored more goals than Halpern had total points. If Laine wants Ovechkin money he needs to be the driver of the bus like Ovi was in his early career. Lately he's more like a 30 year old Ovi.

Plus Vegas has about $2 mil in cap space and Carolina has negative cap space so unless he's taking an even bigger discount neither of those locations seem likely.

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
This is misguided at best. Laine does play defense, he is the most defensively responsible winger in Jets top 6. He isn't GOOD at defense, but he does play it as much as he is asked, and that is quite a lot. His usage has been that of a defensive forward, he is the last fwd out of defensive zone and the first one back. That's his role in the Little line. So saying that he doesn't play defense is absolutely wrong. He just doesn't do it to a level that requires any mention. He's quite average at it. Of course if he was used to his strengths, he would get much better results. When ever he has been used properly in an offensive role, he has been basically the best player in the league during those times (stints with Scheifele and Stastny).

If people really think he regressed at 20, that is ridiculousness of the highest order. He just played a full season with Little in the 2nd line this time around. In the previous seasons he had parts of season where he played with a capable center and scored pretty much at will. Value wise, you'd have to add a bunch to Nico to get Laine. Unless of course the Jets brass are complete morons and have valued Laine the same way as some haters online have.

Laine not playing defense is a silly myth that needs to die.
Finally someone who actually watches the games :laugh:
One thing also, that I don't understand, is why people only look at his last season when he had back problems and the whole team was kind of a underperforming?
The guy has 2 incredible seasons in a row and one mediocre one and that's the only one that people point out.
I think Laine will get a 7mil / 3y deal or 8mil / 5.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
One thing also, that I don't understand, is why people only look at his last season when he had back problems and the whole team was kind of a underperforming?
The guy has 2 incredible seasons in a row and one mediocre one and that's the only one that people point out.
People just hate him. He's been shit on before he had even stepped on NHL ice.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
But why would Wheeler want to play with Little? If Little is so bad, why would the captain of the team, who has had career best years playing with Scheif want to play with Little? Why should Wheeler sacrifice his strengths to appease a 21 year old?

You don't promise anyone anything, they earn it. This is a team where you earn what you get. Scheifele did it, Trouba did it, Morrissey did it, Ehlers did it, Connor did it, Roslovic is trying to do it, Vesalainen is doing it, Heinola will too. There are no free rides here. I don't care who you think you are this team don't play that game.
Because he damn is supposed to be the leader and the player who can drive a line! Honestly he probably isn’t either anymore and he himself knows it very well - thus doesn't want to touch Little with a 5 meter long pole...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Because he damn is supposed to be the leader and the player who can drive a line! Honestly he probably isn’t either anymore and he himself knows it very well - thus doesn't want to touch Little with a 5 meter long pole...

So, now Wheeler is a line driver who can elevate Little? I can't tell with all of this flip-flopping by the Laine fanboys. All of this boils down to a demand to get Laine on the 1st line with Scheifele. Nothing else matters or will do.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Ive seen all his games and I don't think I've ever seen a player "quit" like he did last year. It was like the Ovy controller disconnect every shift.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Its actually half a season :)
People who likes to discredit Laine just make it whole season.
They skip the playoff also :)
His 18 to 20 year old body of work is pretty good i should say.
Dont want to repeat my self with all the record achievements but yeah he had a pretty bad 3 months there ( whole team as well). But 80% of his elc year is crazy.

Anyways Laine will be alright.
I want him in my playoff team once he grows into his body and hit his stride...

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Just want to fix it a little and add...

I think he was the only player in game 6 trying to win the game with groin and back injury! (Wheeler on his TSN interview said they gave up game 6.)

He have set the Jets tone 3 straight game with key goals. But for some reason coach keeps coming back with number 1 line, which was getting smoke by oreilly line.

Best player in the playoff.
Hitting
Playing D
Making things happen.
And chipping in with goals ;)

When he was moved up to the line 1 for 5 games there. He was getting points because his passes are getting converted.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
You can't be serious? "Let him walk", why the heck would the Jets do that? Nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad