Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't know what it would take from Anaheim to get Laine but Lindholm doesn't make much sense. I know that is what jets' fans will want/expect but I would never see Murray trading our number one dman for a number one winger.

I could see kase involved along with a kid like Lundestrum, but doesn't Winnipeg need dmen? We don't have any of those to give really.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Regarding that dude about speculati g the Ducks.

If you watch his not so rich timeline, you can find he kind of pointed to Ducks and Pirri 2 months before the trade. Also Bernier stuff. Pirri to NYR.

That makes me think. But personally, even as a Ducks fan, I don't see us being good trade partners. Would absolutely love Laine tho :)

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don't know what it would take from Anaheim to get Laine but Lindholm doesn't make much sense. I know that is what jets' fans will want/expect but I would never see Murray trading our number one dman for a number one winger.

I could see kase involved along with a kid like Lundestrum, but doesn't Winnipeg need dmen? We don't have any of those to give really.

LHD was a big need three years ago, far less now.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017

If you watch his not so rich timeline, you can find he kind of pointed to Ducks and Pirri 2 months before the trade. Also Bernier stuff. Pirri to NYR.

That makes me think. But personally, even as a Ducks fan, I don't see us being good trade partners. Would absolutely love Laine tho :)
What guy is this?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
What guy is this?
Supposedly he writes for a few media outlets. Cali Sports News, The Puck Network (TPN) and DucksNPucks.
As for what a deal would look like. I have no idea. IMO it would likely cost more then id want to give up and dont fancy the idea of Wpg fans yelling at me about a potential offer. Id assume multiple pieces though, including a high end center and winger.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
If the Ducks rumor is legit (though I really doubt it), you'd have to think it starts with Lindholm. Maybe add in a prospect like Steel. Not sure what else would work.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If the Ducks rumor is legit (though I really doubt it), you'd have to think it starts with Lindholm. Maybe add in a prospect like Steel. Not sure what else would work.
Doesn't make any sense for the Ducks. A move like that doesn't make the Ducks better. It makes us worse, by a lot. Especially if you think the Ducks need to add. If that is the necessary price then the deal won't happen and its another "baseless" rumor. Ducks just dont have roster players that they can spare in a deal like this unless they're players that are being upgraded on, like Rakell, Kase, Ritchie or Rico. Players Wpg fans don't want.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
lindholms agent is Claude Lemieux

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Can't see Laine playing for the Ducks. Not even convinced that Ducks could trade anything and be equal or better off for it; especially with Getzlaf getting up there in age. I'm going to just take the obvious road and guess that Laine signs a bridge contract.

Reactions: lwvs84

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

@Filthy Dangles posted earlier a Tweet that showed the Rangers had interest in Pirri back in March of that year. (Excellent memory, or detective work on his part.) So it’s possible that he is just one of those “Roger Dicklund” types who just guess and act like they have sources, although his page still seems much more credible than those. I wouldn’t put much stock into what he says, but interesting to speculate about.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Can't see Laine playing for the Ducks. Not even convinced that Ducks could trade anything and be equal or better off for it; especially with Getzlaf getting up there in age. I'm going to just take the obvious road and guess that Laine signs a bridge contract.

No idea on the bridge contract part, but agreed on the Ducks not trading for Laine. I'm sure there's "interest" in the sense that BM made essentially a courtesy call (which team in the league wouldn't like to get Laine cheap?) but will eventually balk at the price. There are few players the Ducks should gut their system for, and Laine isn't one of them (if he was, then the Jets would find a way to pay his asking price). He's a great goal scorer, but he's too streaky. What happens if he goes cold during a playoff series? The Ducks don't have the depth to win without a/the top player producing (especially without whoever the Ducks trade away for Laine). The Ducks need Lindholm, Zegras, etc. more than they need Laine. If Zegras becomes an average/low end 1C and Laine becomes an elite first line winger, that 1C is still more valuable to the Ducks because of Getzlaf's age.

I don't see a trade that the Jets would accept that the Ducks could make and come out as a better team. The available guys for him would likely be Lundestrom, Kase, Rakell, Ritchie, Jones, picks (protected because he's probably not worth a 1st OA plus whatever else). And the add to a guy like Rakell would likely be more than it's worth to get Laine because of the massive contract he's going to get compared to Rakell's amazing contract.

Reactions: 11Justin93 and Kalv

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I have to agree that trading Laine makes the most sense. For all his skill his flaws are too big imo to invest top money in.

What makes this difficult, obviously, is that he's coming off such a poor season. They could have got a king's ransom for him last year, but now while they should still be able to get something good they might not be able to get a legit stud back anymore.

Tough tough call.

I might try to trade him for a guy without elite skill but who could give them a topend two-way center game....though im not sure who fits that bill. What do people think of horvat's 2way game?

Reactions: Devonator

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Oh hey if its the ducks how about making it laine for getzlaf?

Maybe throw in a cap dump like kulikov? Maybe some younger secondary piece from anaheim?

I know people dont like trading kids for old guys but man getzlaf would give them a heck of a 1-2 punch up the middle.

Reactions: turbojets

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I get that Ducks fans don't want to give up Lindholm+ but they must realize that would be the cost. They don't have any players of equivalent or greater value, so you can't expect to hold out - it's already a package of lesser pieces.

Oh hey if its the ducks how about making it laine for getzlaf?

Maybe throw in a cap dump like kulikov? Maybe some younger secondary piece from anaheim?

I know people dont like trading kids for old guys but man getzlaf would give them a heck of a 1-2 punch up the middle.
Maybe you can convince Selanne and Carlyle to come out of retirement and throw them in the package too.

You don't trade a 21 year old who has the potential to be a perennial 50 goal scorer for a player who's a couple years from retirement, nor do you do that trade to upgrade your 2C, which this doesn't even accomplish. Getzlaf didn't do much better than Little last year despite getting more minutes and PP time

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
I get that Ducks fans don't want to give up Lindholm+ but they must realize that would be the cost. They don't have any players of equivalent or greater value, so you can't expect to hold out - it's already a package of lesser pieces.

Maybe you can convince Selanne and Carlyle to come out of retirement and throw them in the package too.

You don't trade a 21 year old who has the potential to be a perennial 50 goal scorer for a player who's a couple years from retirement, nor do you do that trade to upgrade your 2C, which this doesn't even accomplish. Getzlaf didn't do much better than Little last year despite getting more minutes and PP time

Jets fans must realize that Laine wont return Lindholm +

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

It wouldn't be the cost. Remember the trouba trade? Players just don't bring back what fans think they are worth on here.

If Laine is traded it's either because the jets dont think he is worth the money he is asking or they and the player have a soured relationship. That scenario is exactly like trouba's and those situations just don't bring back what you're expecting.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If Lindholm+ is the ask then the Ducks move on without Laine. At this time Laine is a 40 goal scorer who has defensive issues. There is no situation where the Ducks move one of their top 3 D let alone their Best D for Laine and come out a better team. It gets worse when you start adding. I don't see any trade involving Laine bringing back a player with similar upside. Not unless one of the other teams with a high end RFA decides to swap players. Otherwise it will be a quantity trade which Wpg fans will never be happy with as that is the nature of moving the best player in the deal. Frankly crunching some numbers this afternoon if Bobby Ryan had signed an 8 year deal after his ELC it would be almost 8 mill at today's cap when you combine his second deal and the first 3 years of cap from his next deal. Laine is younger and scoring more so he should get more. After looking at it I wouldn't even Bat an eye at giving Laine 8.5 at the point. Which begs the question, why hasn't he signed yet?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
@Filthy Dangles posted earlier a Tweet that showed the Rangers had interest in Pirri back in March of that year. (Excellent memory, or detective work on his part.) So it’s possible that he is just one of those “Roger Dicklund” types who just guess and act like they have sources, although his page still seems much more credible than those. I wouldn’t put much stock into what he says, but interesting to speculate about.

Def the latter, Twitter Advanced Search, pretty powerful and easy to use. Would not remember or care about Rangers being interested and kicking tires on such a meh player from a few years ago.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
It wouldn't be the cost. Remember the trouba trade? Players just don't bring back what fans think they are worth on here.

If Laine is traded it's either because the jets dont think he is worth the money he is asking or they and the player have a soured relationship. That scenario is exactly like trouba's and those situations just don't bring back what you're expecting.
Exactly like Trouba? Where do these people come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad