Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The only so called salary structure that is real and relevant is the salary cap, that teams have to stay under while icing a complete roster.

The comparable players in negotiations are obviously other recent contracts with players of similar value.

The salaries will be more evenly spread in teams with less star power, but the Jets have a special situation with both Connor and Laine unsigned during a time when other comparables have got huge deals recently.

This team just won't give Laine the money he desires. He can sit it out and wait for it, but it's not coming, not from us. Not until he proves he's worth it. He must prove last season isn't the new norm or that contract f***s us five ways to sunday.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Laine in no way deserves a big contract right now, GOALS are important but if the Jets sell their soul to the devil for this guy, I'll puke. He is an elite goal scorer when he has someone else get him the puck. He rarely ever carries the play and requires an elite passer to get him the puck. He brought down the first line when he was up there last year, Wheeler and Sheifs looked lost and frustrated. Connor was also lost up and down the line up....what did we get, no production from Laine.

Bridge the kid for under $7 mill. If he refuses, consider all trades, or let him rot in Finland....

The Leafs have made a mess of the RFA/UFA situation....and the Jets shouldn't have to pay for this madness.

We won't. Morrissey signing that nice long term contract puts some perspective on things inside this organization. Play well and you will be rewarded fairly. Chevy isn't Dubas, he isn't going to hand out insane contracts to every RFA that walks in the door.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
We won't. Morrissey signing that nice long term contract puts some perspective on things inside this organization. Play well and you will be rewarded fairly. Chevy isn't Dubas, he isn't going to hand out insane contracts to every RFA that walks in the door.
Huh? Dubas doesn't give out insane contracts at all, but you do have a point- Chevy isn't going to hand out a contract, he will negotiate with his plays and come to an agreement both sides are happy with. Barring that they will move him, or have him sit while the players can either sit, sign an offer sheet or play in Europe. Chevy knows what he is doing.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
This team just won't give Laine the money he desires. He can sit it out and wait for it, but it's not coming, not from us. Not until he proves he's worth it. He must prove last season isn't the new norm or that contract ****s us five ways to sunday.
I bet that Laine simply desires what he deserves. If the Jets try to low ball him, they are cheap. Laine will play for an NHL team this coming season. Let’s hope that it’s the Jets.

I remember these same discussions from over a year ago when a bunch of Jets posters were proposing these same lowball offers as “fair”. Laine had a highly successful season behind him but still did not deserve anything better according to these people.

I’m afraid that Winnipeg is not exactly on the top of the list of star players dream destinations. It’s actually on quite a few NMC lists. For that reason Chevy should do everything he can to lock up his up and coming stars instead of lowballing and alienating them. It would be an epic failure to lose out on Laine and watch him succeed on another team, wouldn’t it?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Huh? Dubas doesn't give out insane contracts at all, but you do have a point- Chevy isn't going to hand out a contract, he will negotiate with his plays and come to an agreement both sides are happy with. Barring that they will move him, or have him sit while the players can either sit, sign an offer sheet or play in Europe. Chevy knows what he is doing.

Matthews got 14.63% of the cap, that's 0.13% higher then Crosby got coming off his ELC. You probably remember him, he's the kid that won the Ross, Hart and Pearson in his second NHL season as a 19 year old.

Nylander got going rate, which I'll give him that even if his last season was trash.

Marner got 13.37% of the cap which is about 2.04% more than Draisaitl got coming off his ELC. A deal which, at the time, was a considered a massive overpay.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
When people point out Scheifeles contract, remember the 3 yrs before his signing:

2013-2014
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2014-2015
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2015-2016
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Laine has:

2016-2017
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

207-2018
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2018-2019
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So Laine has 184p against Scheifele`s 124p. Laine has 110 goals(!!!) against Scheifele`s 57. The cap has gone up, Laine has far better numbers and people doesnt understand why Laine should get a better contract?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I bet that Laine simply desires what he deserves. If the Jets try to low ball him, they are cheap. Laine will play for an NHL team this coming season. Let’s hope that it’s the Jets.

I remember these same discussions from over a year ago when a bunch of Jets posters were proposing these same lowball offers as “fair”. Laine had a highly successful season behind him but still did not deserve anything better according to these people.

I’m afraid that Winnipeg is not exactly on the top of the list of star players dream destinations. It’s actually on quite a few NMC lists. For that reason Chevy should do everything he can to lock up his up and coming stars instead of lowballing and alienating them. It would be an epic failure to lose out on Laine and watch him succeed on another team, wouldn’t it?

Actually most posters were willing to drop $9m+ on him after his 17/18 season. His 18/19 season is what brought him down. Laine can feel he deserves the sun, moon and all the stars but what he thinks he deserves and what he actually deserves can be two very different things. He should take a reasonable bridge deal to prove he is worth what he thinks he is. If he is a regular 40 goal scorer prove it. 1 season is not enough to give this kid big $ only for us to be disappointed and destroy our entire salary structure. Laine has no options. Because of the rules of the CBA he owes 4 more years to the Jets in the NHL no matter how old he is. He could leave and go play in Finland until he's 37. But if he ever wants to play in the NHL again he is still under the Jets control for 4 more years. He can retire, and make an amazing comeback to the game at 50, but he is still under the control of the Jets in the NHL for 4 more years.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Matthews got 14.63% of the cap, that's 0.13% higher then Crosby got coming off his ELC. You probably remember him, he's the kid that won the Ross, Hart and Pearson in his second NHL season as a 19 year old.

Nylander got going rate, which I'll give him that even if his last season was trash.

Marner got 13.37% of the cap which is about 2.04% more than Draisaitl got coming off his ELC. A deal which, at the time, was a considered a massive overpay.
I am familiar with Crosby.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Scheifele’s contract was fair for what he had accomplished by the time that he signed it. There was no “discount”. It also has zero impact on Laine’s contract. Scheifele signed his contract a long time ago, before he really took off. He could be a comparable in the negotiations with Laine, if he had signed a contract recently.

Scheifeles numbers were inferior to Laines at the moment he signed his contract. At the time, Scheifele had hit 60p 1 time. If we just look at their points and goals, Laine could easily look at Scheifeles contract(when he signed it) and cap taking into considering demand 9-10M/

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
When people point out Scheifeles contract, remember the 3 yrs before his signing:

2013-2014
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2014-2015
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2015-2016
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Laine has:

2016-2017
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
207-2018
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2018-2019
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So Laine has 184p against Scheifele`s 124p. Laine has 110 goals(!!!) against Scheifele`s 57. The cap has gone up, Laine has far better numbers and people doesnt understand why Laine should get a better contract?

Scheifele has less goals and points for sure. But he also played on a far worse team with far worse linemates. Remember that Scheif is a key component of that PP Laine scores so many goals on. Scheifele worked his ass off in the AHL playoffs, back to Barrie, to our 3rd line RW to our 2nd line C and then picked up the mantle of our 1C after Little was injured and ran with it. He drives the plays, he scores, he's a playamker, he is fearless on the ice, he is a leader in the locker room and he has 10x the work ethic. At this point in time it's never favourable to try and compare Laine to Scheif because outside of basic counting stats he falls far short.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Scheifele has less goals and points for sure. But he also played on a far worse team with far worse linemates. Remember that Scheif is a key component of that PP Laine scores so many goals on. Scheifele worked his ass of in the AHL, to our 3rd line RW to our 2nd line C and then picked up the mantle of our 1C after Little was injured and ran with it. He drives the plays, he scores, he's a playamker, he is fearless on the ice, he is a leader in the locker room and he has 10x the work ethic. At this point in time it's never favourable to try and compare Laine to Scheif because outside of basic counting stats he falls far short.

Dont you get it? At the time Scheifele signed his contract he wasnt the player he is NOW! At the time he signed, he had in no way comparable numbers to Laine. Laine has almost as many goals in 3 seasons that Scheifele had points. Ofcourse I would point this out if I`m Laine or his agent.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Dont you get it? At the time Scheifele signed his contract he wasnt the player he is NOW! At the time he signed, he had in no way comparable numbers to Laine. Laine has almost as many goals in 3 seasons that Scheifele had points. Ofcourse I would point this out if I`m Laine or his agent.

He 100% was though. He was progressing. That is the point. He didn't go from a 49 point player in year 2 to a 30 point player in year 3. Laine has stagnated, he declined, he fell short. He did not improve on his previous season. That is the entire point of a show me bridge deal. You don't get to have two great seasons and follow it up with one bad one and say to everyone look what I did there wasn't it great! Just forget about the last season I had and pay me based off the first two. Otherwise he'd be sitting on another 40 goal season, improved his overall game and would have been handed a fat long term contract to lock him up.

Laine needs to prove to Chevy and the fans that he is worth that kind of money. He isn't entitled to it just because he had two very very good seasons. If he followed up that 2nd season with a season that was even in the same ballpark we'd be rejoicing at giving him Marner money right now. But he didn't and because of that he has to prove he is worth it.

Reactions: Heldig

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
That would mean next season Barkov & Laine riding in the sunset of Florida (Panthers) together. If Laine can't have Scheif, then he'll take Barky. Laine will have his way and bromance either way.

Well Helly and Morrissey signed long term deals after their 1 year bridge.

Laine is not a Florida guy i think.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Scheifele has less goals and points for sure. But he also played on a far worse team with far worse linemates. Remember that Scheif is a key component of that PP Laine scores so many goals on. Scheifele worked his ass of in the AHL, to our 3rd line RW to our 2nd line C and then picked up the mantle of our 1C after Little was injured and ran with it. He drives the plays, he scores, he's a playamker, he is fearless on the ice, he is a leader in the locker room and he has 10x the work ethic. At this point in time it's never favourable to try and compare Laine to Scheif because outside of basic counting stats he falls far short.
The comparison is Scheifele – when he signed his contract – vs Laine now. All I got out your wall of text is that Scheifele is far superior to Laine now, which even if it was true, is totally irrelevant for the discussion regarding their contracts.

Reactions: Ippenator

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The comparison is Scheifele – when he signed his contract – vs Laine now. All I got out your wall of text is that Scheifele is far superior to Laine now, which even if it was true, is totally irrelevant for the discussion regarding their contracts.

Wall of text... dude you don't even have to scroll your lazy finger over a mouse to read it.

And if you read it at all, which you obviously didn't I said Scheifele showed progression which is the basic point here. Laine stagnated. And before you say well Laine had shit linemates and bad usage blah blah blah Scheifs was on a line with Ehlers and Perreault that with PP2 time still managed to show progression. He was paid because he did what was asked of him and didn't sulk about it and I'll reiterate: showed progression. And even then when Scheif signed that contract he was a far superior player to what Laine currently is. Go ahead point to your goals stats but Scheif was a far more complete player that impacted more than just a single month of the season.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
He 100% was though. He was progressing. That is the point. He didn't go from a 49 point player in year 2 to a 30 point player in year 3. Laine has stagnated, he declined, he fell short. He did not improve on his previous season. That is the entire point of a show me bridge deal. You don't get to have two great seasons and follow it up with one bad one and say to everyone look what I did there wasn't it great! Just forget about the last season I had and pay me based off the first two. Otherwise he'd be sitting on another 40 goal season, improved his overall game and would have been handed a fat long term contract to lock him up.

Laine needs to prove to Chevy and the fans that he is worth that kind of money. He isn't entitled to it just because he had two very very good seasons. If he followed up that 2nd season with a season that was even in the same ballpark we'd be rejoicing at giving him Marner money right now. But he didn't and because of that he has to prove he is worth it.

Laine has already proven that with proper ice-time and good linemates he scores damn well. If you have a 40-goal scorer and put him with Little, whom he has 0 chemistry with while playin 12-13min/game, there is some blame on the team also. I get that Winnipeg wants a bridge deal, but I dont understand why Laine should have to take a big discount. If the moron behind the bench keeps playing him with Little and on low minutes, there is absolutely no way I see Laine signing one. It is moronic that you do this to your best scorer since Selanne. Give him a 2yr bridge with 8M+ and promise 1st line duty and reunite Wheeler with Little. Thats what I think will get it done. Offering 5M is a slap in the face and is asking for him to sit or demand a trade

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Laine has already proven that with proper ice-time and good linemates he scores damn well. If you have a 40-goal scorer and put him with Little, whom he has 0 chemistry with while playin 12-13min/game, there is some blame on the team also. I get that Winnipeg wants a bridge deal, but I dont understand why Laine should have to take a big discount. If the moron behind the bench keeps playing him with Little and on low minutes, there is absolutely no way I see Laine signing one. It is moronic that you do this to your best scorer since Selanne. Give him a 2yr bridge with 8M+ and promise 1st line duty and reunite Wheeler with Little. Thats what I think will get it done. Offering 5M is a slap in the face and is asking for him to sit or demand a trade

But why would Wheeler want to play with Little? If Little is so bad, why would the captain of the team, who has had career best years playing with Scheif want to play with Little? Why should Wheeler sacrifice his strengths to appease a 21 year old?

You don't promise anyone anything, they earn it. This is a team where you earn what you get. Scheifele did it, Trouba did it, Morrissey did it, Ehlers did it, Connor did it, Roslovic is trying to do it, Vesalainen is doing it, Heinola will too. There are no free rides here. I don't care who you think you are this team don't play that game.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

I don’t think that even Scheifele himself would agree with you, because he clearly wasn’t.

Laine will get paid, but will it be by the Jets or another team? That is the X million dollar question. Chevy has failed to acquire a legit 2C (rentals have had no interest in staying) and has wasted a pick for two straight trade deadlines.

He is not in a position to lose out on premium drafted talent like Laine. The Jets simply can’t trade for that high end talent in free agency, because most star players have no interest in moving to Winnipeg and playing for the Jets.

You can go on and on about how superior Chef is and how he signed a team friendly deal (he didn’t, it was fair market value) but it is totally irrelevant in Laine’s contract talks. Different players, different circumstances, different times, different stats and records.

Chef is great, I love him. Now, let’s talk about Laine’s possible future scenarios :)

Reactions: Lurch

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don’t think that even Scheifele himself would agree with you, because he clearly wasn’t.

Laine will get paid, but will it be by the Jets or another team? That is the X million dollar question. Chevy has failed to acquire a legit 2C (rentals have had no interest in staying) and has wasted a pick for two straight trade deadlines.

He is not in a position to lose out on premium drafted talent like Laine. The Jets simply can’t trade for that high end talent in free agency, because most star players have no interest in moving to Winnipeg and playing for the Jets.

You can go on and on about how superior Chef is and how he signed a team friendly deal (he didn’t, it was fair market value) but it is totally irrelevant in Laine’s contract talks. Different players, different circumstances, different times, different stats and records.

Chef is great, I love him. Now, let’s talk about Laine’s possible future scenarios :)

Where is Laine going to go?

Chevy has team control for 4 years and because Laine entered the NHL at 18, according to the CBA the Jets will control his life in the NHL for 4 years. Laine can wait it out all he wants, a season, two seasons but no matter how long he waits. We control him for 4 years. He can ask for a trade and we can say no. He can play in Finland for the next 8 years but if he wants to come back to the NHL we control him for the next 4 years. Laine is ours, whether he likes it or not so it's far better to play ball and earn your stripes then to be an entitled cry baby.

So if we want to talk about Laine's future scenarios it's play for us or don't play in the NHL ever.

Last edited:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

Chevy has team control for 4 years and because Laine entered the NHL at 18, according to the CBA the Jets will control his life in the NHL for 4 years. Laine can wait it out all he wants, a season, two seasons but no matter how long he waits. We control him for 4 years. He can ask for a trade and we can say no. He can play in Finland for the next 8 years but if he wants to come back to the NHL we control him for the next 4 years. Laine is ours, whether he likes it or not so it's far better to play ball and earn your stripes then to be an entitled cry baby.

So if we want to talk about Laine's future scenarios it's play for us or don't play in the NHL ever.
I hope that Chevy thinks his thoughts through better than you in that case. There are several possible scenarios with a hundred moving parts that we don’t know about. It is a very real possibility that if Chevy screws things up, Laine ends up in another NHL team sooner than later.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Not that I see Laine playing in any other league then the NHL but if he plays in Europe for 2 or more seasons the Jets would control his rights for 6 years(till he turns 27)

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
But why would Wheeler want to play with Little? If Little is so bad, why would the captain of the team, who has had career best years playing with Scheif want to play with Little? Why should Wheeler sacrifice his strengths to appease a 21 year old?

You don't promise anyone anything, they earn it. This is a team where you earn what you get. Scheifele did it, Trouba did it, Morrissey did it, Ehlers did it, Connor did it, Roslovic is trying to do it, Vesalainen is doing it, Heinola will too. There are no free rides here. I don't care who you think you are this team don't play that game.

Didnt realise that Wheeler is the coach and owner of the team? Wheeler&Little has shown chemistry before and I always had the impression that 2 good lines are better than 1? Ehlers wasnt exactly on the same page as Little either. He had 37p last season and probably is just as Fed up with the line as Laine.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler

Even a child can see that theese would probably work better than what Maurice is doing. I could actually even drop Little to the 3rd and use Lowry or Roslovic instead. Little is the problem on the 2nd line. Not Ehlers or Laine. Stastny worked, Scheifele worked but hey - Maurice wants Little there...

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I hope that Chevy thinks his thoughts through better than you in that case. There are several possible scenarios with a hundred moving parts that we don’t know about. It is a very real possibility that if Chevy screws things up, Laine ends up in another NHL team sooner than later.

So it's play by Laine's terms or don't play at all? That won't fly with Chevy. Every player on this team earns every inch they get. Laine is not entitled to special treatment. This is a blue color team we don't give hand outs. He wants that big term and money he has to prove he's worth it and after last seasonw abomination he didn't prove shit. He played with His most common linemates in 17/18 was Bryan Little and Nik Ehlers. His most common linemates last year were Nik Ehlers and Byran Little. Yet he got even more PP time than the year before. So his best argument goes out the window when he had his best season with Little and Ehlers, yet his worst season with Little and Ehlers.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Didnt realise that Wheeler is the coach and owner of the team? Wheeler&Little has shown chemistry before and I always had the impression that 2 good lines are better than 1? Ehlers wasnt exactly on the same page as Little either. He had 37p last season and probably is just as Fed up with the line as Laine.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler

Even a child can see that theese would probably work better than what Maurice is doing. I could actually even drop Little to the 3rd and use Lowry or Roslovic instead. Little is the problem on the 2nd line. Not Ehlers or Laine. Stastny worked, Scheifele worked but hey - Maurice wants Little there...

Wheelers best season with Little was 79 points in Little's prime, Laine's best season with Little was 70 points while Little was in decline. So is Wheeler just less likely to complain about it or???? Seems to me like Laine's best season is with Little at the helm so far, but once he started complaining about it he shat the bed.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not that I see Laine playing in any other league then the NHL but if he plays in Europe for 2 or more seasons the Jets would control his rights for 6 years(till he turns 27)

No because he would have played in the NHL and would have to retire from the NHL, similar to Kovy's situation with the Devils and needing permission to come back, except he would still owe us 4 years of team control. It's not like a regular cut and run situation as an RFA, where most teams just lapse rights. The Jets aren't lapsing Laine's rights. I believe we had a similar situation when Burmistrov left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad