Laine has already 70% amount of assists than he had in the whole last season

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
So 7 assists in 5 games so far. Last season Patrik Laine had his 5th assist in game 29.

So what the heck has happened? Well, he said in media that he is not playing ps4 anymore in away games. Last year he played sometimes 12 hours Fortnite in a day. Could be a one factor. I think Laine will score many points in this season!
James Neal has 100% of his goals last year. You tell me

Reactions: libertarian

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Leads the league in points, assists and +/-. If those don't make a superstar then there are zero superstars in the league currently.

On top of 4 points he had 8 hits last night. How many did your superstar have?

Leads the league quotes a week into the season?

Come on man. There are better stats to throw out for Laine then that.

Brock Nelson was second in scoring in like 13-14 or some year at this time.

Think about it like this, why is five games this year
More important then the 81 he played last year for judgment? Because it’s the present? Sure but again sample size and last season isn’t ancient history.

It’s good to see him doing well but come on, being a top scorer a week in means nothing. Unless Neal and Mantha are superstars too.

As some have pointed out he wasn’t even that big of a part of s lot of those points. Wheeler and Scheifele are elite as they always get PPG seemingly and if Laine is with them Of course he goes along for the ride, he’s not a bum.

It’s just going to take someone time and consistency from Laine to
Erase the bad taste of last season.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
From what? Never being close to ppg?

It's always funny to watch people digging in trenches and doubling down on their hatred, even when faced with reality. You really think the future favors your point? Are you counting on Maurice burying Laine with Little again or what?

Do you not realize that as long as Laine plays with a decent center, this is the norm? Do you really think they will still bury him now? Because if you do believe in that, then your faith in Laine staying under ppg could be justified.

He will play with Chef now, and go way over ppg. He's 2 ppg so far. And they haven't had any chance to practice the new powerplay so it hasn't worked, and Laine said yesterday he isn't 100% yet from missing TC.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Leads the league quotes a week into the season?

Come on man. There are better stats to throw out for Laine then that.

Brock Nelson was second in scoring in like 13-14 or some year at this time.

The point was that if the leading player in the league is not a superstar then there can't be superstars.

Maybe some of you think that he will regress to the Little levels but he won't. He's in 1st line to stay and it won't happen there. Just like 16-17, Laine was leading the league in goals and had the highest ppg for 2 months with Scheifele who was leading the points race in the league.

At this point it would be impossible to bury him again without major public outcry. That's why he will now dominate. Get used to it, he will get to show his value for a full season with Scheifele. I'm not going just by 5 games, I have seen him with Scheifele for several months in 16-17 and some part of 17-18 with Stastny, so I have seen his real level already. Great to see him at 21 already becoming the dominant force he was against his peers in world juniors, now against the best hockey athletes in the world. He threw 8 hits last night, while being involved in 4/5 goals. He was +4. Also leads the team, if not the league, in takeaways.

He's a legit monster at 21, far away from his physical prime.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
It's going to be interesting when Little comes back. Seems like Maurice was basically FORCED to make a change. If that had not happened, then it would be same old "earn your spot in the first line", that some Jets fans kept saying... after the guy score 80 goals in 2 years.

If Maurice puts Laine back in with Little, then I hope asks for a trade.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The point was that if the leading player in the league is not a superstar then there can't be superstars.

Maybe some of you think that he will regress to the Little levels but he won't. He's in 1st line to stay and it won't happen there. Just like 16-17, Laine was leading the league in goals and had the highest ppg for 2 months with Scheifele who was leading the points race in the league.

At this point it would be impossible to bury him again without major public outcry. That's why he will now dominate. Get used to it, he will get to show his value for a full season with Scheifele. I'm not going just by 5 games, I have seen him with Scheifele for several months in 16-17 and some part of 17-18 with Stastny, so I have seen his real level already. Great to see him at 21 already becoming the dominant force he was against his peers in world juniors, now against the best hockey athletes in the world. He threw 8 hits last night, while being involved in 4/5 goals. He was +4. Also leads the team, if not the league, in takeaways.

One year Steve Reinprecht opened the season with a 5 point game. He was the leading scorer for a bit because of it. You know, Steve Reinprecht? Superstar Steve Reinprecht?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN

Wait, what?

That’s like saying when Brock Nelson was second a few years ago after this length of time, that “If Brock Nelson isn’t a superstar then Crosby isn’t one.”

I never doubted Laine wasn’t a very good player.

But you’re trying to make a point that if a guy who is second in points 9 days in is not a superstar, then there are no superstars. That could be one of the most idiotic things I’ve ever read in my fifteen and a half years here, no offense. Not calling your an idiot, just the logic.

Again We are 9 Days into the season man. We know who the superstars are we don’t have to base it on these 9 days alone.

I wish everybody could just stop overreacting about good and bad with Patrick Because a lot of the Laine reactionary threads are so bipolar because people see Laine lovers or Finnish people alike w/ some jets fans praise him sooo high that other fans bring him down soooo low that those people THEN feel Compelled to lower the amazing high, and you all feel like highering the lower low. If everyone just said he was a good player there would be no need for the overreactions, ya know.....

And I didn’t try to make that rhyme.

I guess that’s what happens with inconsistent players though. Again that’s not shade being thrown but even the biggest Laine fans would admit he is really inconsistent even before lazt year.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Oh man, the lectures are page long again.

Must love reading his posts himself as no one else will.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
First of all Marner is at least as good or even better than Mathews.

Second of all Laine wasn't himself last year eccept the november. You don't know what he was going through. Now you can see his real level and im not even surprised if he is going to be better than Mathews.
Are we starting to call sitting on your ass and playing video games all day "going through stuff" now in 2019?

Video games are fun. But when you're an adult you have to work.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Are we starting to call sitting on your ass and playing video games all day "going through stuff" now in 2019?

Video games are fun. But when you're an adult you have to work.
You’ve never sat on your ass? You must be a fun maniac!

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Consistency comes with playing in a line with a good center. He has been consistently good with anyone not named Little and bad with Little.

So just don't put him in with Little and the consistency issues are over. If they had a coach worth his salt, he would have NEVER tried that line or abandoned it after 5 games when it was clear they are totally different players and can't figure each other out.

That's the only thing Laine really needed for success, the level has been there the whole time. Physically he has been improving all the time. The reason why he doesn't have 50 goal seasons and a calder, is entirely Maurice.

And from now on, he will highlight that fact.

There's more to it then that.
Laine is excelling in areas that he majorly struggled with and that has nothing to do with his linemates.

Little needs someone who can support him in a cycle game and Little is more of a shooter then a passer. Ehlers and Laine playing way better in those areas would make that line more functional. Not that there's any reason to prove that.

But similar to November last year Laine is playing better (except it's WAY better). November Laine wasn't as dominant as this version currently. Goals were going in like crazy but Laine wasn't playing as well in all areas. He's having a positive impact on possession, creating take aways and generating chances for his team on top of lethal scoring abilities and playing a physical game.

It's a hell of a lot of fun to watch right now and as much as I want him to score 160 pts we need to be chill and not lose our mind if he has a scoring slump. All players essentially have ups and downs. Laine's have just been more pronounced then other people's... more extreme variances. Hopefully new and improved Laine can flatten out those variances and be a difference make on most nights.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
When is the last time Little was good? How do we get rid of that contract? There is a reason we’ve been bleeding draft picks for him.

Reactions: hn777

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
If he stays in the 1st line with Scheifele, he'll be well over 100 pts after 82. If he goes back to Little after his injury is done, his production will drop by more than half.

And this has been optional for Maurice for 3 seasons now. Maurice in his "great and unmatched wisdom" did not opt to use it much, other than the start of 16-17 and when Stastny came. Laine's had this game in him the entire time and he has shown it each time he was allowed.

That's not 100% true.
He's had better scoring results in certain situations but was never an every shift positive the way he has been so far this year. It's disingenuous to say that the only difference is linemates. His games with Scheif and Wheeler didn't look this good last year. Give the kid some credit for getting better and trying harder and stop pretending there's been no change since 2016.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Wait, what?

That’s like saying when Brock Nelson was second a few years ago after this length of time, that “If Brock Nelson isn’t a superstar then Crosby isn’t one.”

I never doubted Laine wasn’t a very good player.

But you’re trying to make a point that if a guy who is second in points 9 days in is not a superstar, then there are no superstars. That could be one of the most idiotic things I’ve ever read in my fifteen and a half years here, no offense. Not calling your an idiot, just the logic.

Again We are 9 Days into the season man. We know who the superstars are we don’t have to base it on these 9 days alone.

I wish everybody could just stop overreacting about good and bad with Patrick Because a lot of the Laine reactionary threads are so bipolar because people see Laine lovers or Finnish people alike w/ some jets fans praise him sooo high that other fans bring him down soooo low that those people THEN feel Compelled to lower the amazing high, and you all feel like highering the lower low. If everyone just said he was a good player there would be no need for the overreactions, ya know.....

And I didn’t try to make that rhyme.

I guess that’s what happens with inconsistent players though. Again that’s not shade being thrown but even the biggest Laine fans would admit he is really inconsistent even before lazt year.

I like your avatar, got Jack in my fantasy pool second year in a row, steal of a draft.

It's not shade, it's just misleading is all. As I said Laine has been consistently a monster away from Little and consistently rendered useless with Little. The inconsistency is entirely role and center related. Every time he is slumping, he is playing with Little and gets nothing done. Every time he is with a different center and offensive role, he shines bright.

He isn't streaky with hot&cold periods when playing an offensive role, he is streaky and mostly cold when asked to play as the 3rd defenseman.

The only way you will see him slowing down now is a lineup change when Little comes back. Would be interesting to see Maurice justifying that. He's been the best player and Scheifele has looked top form once again, something that has been missing since Laine last was with him. Once again destroying that tandem could not go over well or make any logical sense. It didn't make sense then, it makes even less sense now. They pay him 7 million now and he made it clear his issue in contract talks was his usage, or lack of it. They have to leave him loose now, no flimsy excuse about needing to focus on defense can fly with anyone anymore. The more he plays, the better Jets chances to win are. And finally people might come to understand it too. It's only been apparent since his rookie season if one has followed the career closely. I understand it is a very different look from a distance because from distance you can miss important detail.

This will be a fun season. Got so many servings to deal.
7a56cca16-1.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
When is the last time Little was good? How do we get rid of that contract? There is a reason we’ve been bleeding draft picks for him.

Hmmm when played with the right players Little is still a really good player. It's not his fault Chevy burned a pick for Hayes last year. Little out produced what Hayes brought to the table and that was with Laine on his line who wasn't scoring points period.

Maurice put two guys (Laine and Ehlers) on a line with Little and he couldn't create offense the way they needed and they couldn't support his straight line cycle game. Just a bad utilization of our roster.

Reactions: Roughneck1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad