Speculation: Laine, Connor, Trouba...Who stays and at what cost?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If someone (most likely a top 10 team in the league) offered you a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Trouba, would you take it?
I mainly meant that it's a stiff price for the other team to pay to get a pesky year of Trouba the pending UFA, especially as the 1-year contract would have to be big enough (bigger than the projected salary arbitration award) to get him to sign the offer sheet.

If Trouba elects to go to Arbitration this summer, the Jets won't even have the option to choose 1 or 2 years, as he's on his 6th year now and will be UFA after the next season. It would need to be an enticing 1 year contract.

Last edited:

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland
Trouba will be traded this offseason, hopefully for a young RHD. Outside chance Jets re-sign him if they give him his $7-8 million AAV request.

I'd give Connor a long-term contract at $7 million x 8 years.

I'd bridge Laine at 2 or 3 years x $6-7 million per season.
What about Trouba for Severson? Same age, both RD but Severson locked up for 4 years at $4.1m. Would give the Jets some cap space.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Laine will be a very interesting negotiation. 1 goal in 2019 and if you take out the month of November when he was red hot he's been awful. I can see Laine going down the same path as Nylander with a hold out. If he doesn't pick up his play it's going to turn into a debate of what he's done in the first 2 years to falling apart in year 3

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Trouba will be traded this offseason, hopefully for a young RHD. Outside chance Jets re-sign him if they give him his $7-8 million AAV request.

I'd give Connor a long-term contract at $7 million x 8 years.

I'd bridge Laine at 2 or 3 years x $6-7 million per season.

Laine won’t take less than Connor this off-season

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
36 goals. 44 goals. Now on pace for 38.

He's essentially a 40 goal scorer at 20, I don't see why he would not command 40 goal scorer money. With cap increases that's something like 8*10.

I guess he could take a bridge, why would he?
Laines goal stats are as irrelevant as could possibly be.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
What about Trouba for Severson? Same age, both RD but Severson locked up for 4 years at $4.1m. Would give the Jets some cap space.
NJD are a mess, Doubt Trouba has any interest in signing there long term. He'll probably be looking at a contending team. Would love to see him in Tampa paired with Victor Hedman.

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
Sabres fan here but like the Jets... a little, want to see them come out of the West, but not against the Sabres. If I could only keep one, Connor is my guy.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
That Laine deal seems improbable to me, but it would be great news for the Jets. Laine should demand 10 million.
How can he demand 10 million when he disappear as for dozens of games all the time?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Laine 1 x 6m
Connor 6 x 6.5m
Trouba I would offer 5 x 8m but he is gone

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
You guys are nuts if you think Connor is worth anything above 6.5

Personally I hope the Jets try and grab Stone and then sign him long term then move Connor for help on D.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
The issue is that he's currently on pace for 53 points this season.

Typical 40-goal scorers put up 80+ points a year.

Laine still has a lot of leverage to avoid a bridge and getting a massive deal. If he doesn’t like Winnipeg’s offer I do think he would be a condidate for an offersheet.

I could see teams that are stuck in purgatory like Minnesota offersheeting because they have no star power.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I'm intrigued by what Laine will get.

Does he see himself as a comparable to the elite? We've been told he is, but obviously he's gone off the boil a bit now.

I think 8aav is probably fair, but you gotta think he wants the chance to have another spell of goals to demand more. Bridge could make sense.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'm intrigued by what Laine will get.

Does he see himself as a comparable to the elite? We've been told he is, but obviously he's gone off the boil a bit now.

I think 8aav is probably fair, but you gotta think he wants the chance to have another spell of goals to demand more. Bridge could make sense.

Have we seen a cy=young season like him before?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If it matters, Friedman on his podcast this week dropped a nugget that the "jets hate bonuses"

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Laine - 2 yrs- 8m
Connor - 7 yrs- 6.1m
Trouba - Traded at draft - High 2nd rd pick and 2nd pair, yet decent contract defenceman.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I imagine we trade Trouba after the season, or maybe even the deadline if it brings us a star defenseman. He'd just be the big part of that deal.

Laine right now would get $6M AAV at the very least, but I'd do it because right now it'd be a steal.
Connor would get as little as $6M AAV as well.

Think both are do-able.

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland
NJD are a mess, Doubt Trouba has any interest in signing there long term. He'll probably be looking at a contending team. Would love to see him in Tampa paired with Victor Hedman.
NJD need to do something in the offseason anyway in order to convince Hall. Adding a top 3 pick in this year‘s draft, get Stone as UFA and Trouba via trade, the team will look much better next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad