Speculation: Laine, Connor, Trouba...Who stays and at what cost?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
with one of the best shots in the game and who scored an insane amount of goals in one month earlier this season. I'm not a Jets fan, but it seems like recency bias.

Heck there was threads this season about him having the best shot in the league by far, no comparison, and that he was better than Matthews.

And...? Where's the rest of your argument?

So what if he scored a bunch of goals in one month? Let's ignore the fact that he's only scored goals in 15/54 games this year, with 18/25 of his goals coming against just 4 (not very good) teams - VAN, STL, FLA, CHI).

And do you know how many players have had "one of the best shots in the game" and became less effective over time because teams adjusted? He came into the league and scored a bunch of goals, mostly at ES. Then he came back next year, scored a handful more goals, but actually scored less at ES. Now this year, he's scoring less, both at even strength and on the powerplay, and is doing it with less frequently.

This would alll be fine and dandy if Laine had a lot more to offer, but he doesn't. Even looking past his dismal assist numbers, he doesn't have much else to offer.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Not to nit pick but the fan base is much larger than 2 million fans. Let's get real here.

Anyways, they'll let Trouba walk. Does he even want to be there?

Not to nit pick but he said 2 million larger than Winnipeg.

Reactions: CountKong

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This is a really good guess.

I hope for their sake he only gets a bridge for $6.25M. The $8-10M terms I was seeing in the other thread are enough for the owners to trigger the CBA's early opt-out clause.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Winnipeg's fan base is not in the 10s of millions, sorry bud.

10s of millions....

10s...

So you're saying the equivalent of 2/3 of Canada's entire population is how big the Toronto fanbase is?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
10s of millions....

10s...

So you're saying the equivalent of 2/3 of Canada's entire population is how big the Toronto fanbase is?
You do realize the Leafs stretch beyond Canada....we're not small potatoes.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
They keep Connot and Laine

And trade Trouba at the draft.

For those that say to sign Connor at more and logner term than Laine? Not happening.

Connor Resume is 1 30 goal season at age 21.

Laine had 36 and 44 with 70 point seasin at age 18 and 19.

Laine slump , so did Connor this year and last year.

Im glad Jets have both.

Bridging Laine is not the best option.
He can walk 2 years after that.
By then Wheeler is an old man and Jets are left with 2 good wingers.

Its a tough decision for Chevy but for sure he will make the right choice.

Laine 6 at 8.25M
Connor 7 at 6.5M
Trouba traded for a pick and prospect.
Or signed 3-4 year deal so he can win the cup with the Jets then off to the Florida Sunrise after :)

Reactions: Oseductive

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This is a terrible, terrible post.

Man Laine has had a really rough year.
I know suggesting that him @8M would be as bad as Lucic's contract is an exageration, but it could still potentially be a horrible horrible contract.
Just look at how many games Laine has played on the 3rd and 4th lines this year.
He needs to learn to play hockey again.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
The Jets have a fantastic opportunity to buy low on Laine. That is the silver lining in his slump this season.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
And everyone only talks about Toronto’s Cap.

Winnipeg isnt hancuffed like the Leafs are.Horton & Phat Phil still getting paid.Mark Stewart buyout is less than 600K for the Jets.Jets will be fine.Like any other team,Jets can trade a player if the cap becomes a problem.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
And everyone only talks about Toronto’s Cap.

After this season Toronto has 3 players making well over what Laine will make. Jets are trying to find ways to keep Perrault, Tanev and Broissoit not trying to fight off offer sheets. Not even close to the same.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
And...? Where's the rest of your argument?

So what if he scored a bunch of goals in one month? Let's ignore the fact that he's only scored goals in 15/54 games this year, with 18/25 of his goals coming against just 4 (not very good) teams - VAN, STL, FLA, CHI).

And do you know how many players have had "one of the best shots in the game" and became less effective over time because teams adjusted? He came into the league and scored a bunch of goals, mostly at ES. Then he came back next year, scored a handful more goals, but actually scored less at ES. Now this year, he's scoring less, both at even strength and on the powerplay, and is doing it with less frequently.

This would alll be fine and dandy if Laine had a lot more to offer, but he doesn't. Even looking past his dismal assist numbers, he doesn't have much else to offer.

Normally I'd say who cares about PP goals vs Even strength and also who cares about streaks if he hits 40g. To be devils advocate though, if your streak isn't hot during the playoffs and the refs put the whistles away and dry up your pp time you're not helping put your team over the edge.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Trouba will be traded this offseason, hopefully for a young RHD. Outside chance Jets re-sign him if they give him his $7-8 million AAV request.

I'd give Connor a long-term contract at $7 million x 8 years.

I'd bridge Laine at 2 or 3 years x $6-7 million per season.

Maybe with a contract extension in place, but a 1 year rental won't garner too much. If he files for arbitration again, all bets are off.

A team can offer sheet Trouba to a 1 year deal, and if the Jets match, they can't trade him and have to let him go UFA (or re-sign him).

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe with a contract extension in place, but a 1 year rental won't garner too much. If he files for arbitration again, all bets are off.

A team can offer sheet Trouba to a 1 year deal, and if the Jets match, they can't trade him and have to let him go UFA (or re-sign him).
That would be very good use for that teams 1st, 2nd and 3rd (at least).

snopro31

Apr 21, 2007
MANITOBA
36 goals. 44 goals. Now on pace for 38.

He's essentially a 40 goal scorer at 20, I don't see why he would not command 40 goal scorer money. With cap increases that's something like 8*10.

I guess he could take a bridge, why would he?
But he's nothing else.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
That would be very good use for that teams 1st, 2nd and 3rd (at least).

If someone (most likely a top 10 team in the league) offered you a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Trouba, would you take it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad