Laine’s off-season training (see warning in post 832)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
He has 80 goals as a teen with low icetime. If I were to say his development has failed, there aren't any players whose development didn't fail if that is the standard.

Leads the team in 5 on 5 +/- after two teenage seasons. Hard to find the failure there.

Requires "eye test", a subjective ranking based on the persons individual preference to find the failure. It's not convincing to me when reality shows otherwise.

You can have your opinion, I'm just explaining why I can't agree with it.

He would have had 80 goals with 0 off-season training. That in itself is no proof of anything, it’s just a testament to his talent.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
On ice production and fitness are not identical concepts. I think his first two seasons were outstanding. My feeling is that he can be even better with more ice time if he's lighter and fitter this season.

Yeah I agree and expect him to be. That's been the expectation all along, progress every year for a long time.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
He would have had 80 goals with 0 off-season training. That in itself is no proof of anything, it’s just a testament to his talent.

That's your opinion. I think it's entirely unrealistic. He is breaking records but according to you he doesn't need to do any work to get those results.

Based on what?

Nothing.

Reactions: Halberdier

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Look at this wjc highlights package.

His skating looks amazing.

I think we're in for a treat when he gets control of that body. He looked a lot smaller then.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
On ice production and fitness are not identical concepts. I think his first two seasons were outstanding. My feeling is that he can be even better with more ice time if he's lighter and fitter this season.

Especially when the production is coming from a ridiculous shot -
I couldn't agree more that coming to camp lighter and fitter should add a whole new dimension to his game and potentially open up more opportunities.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

That's your opinion. I think it's entirely unrealistic. He is breaking records but according to you he doesn't need to do any work to get those results.

Based on what?

Nothing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Look at this wjc highlights package.

His skating looks amazing.

I think we're in for a treat when he gets control of that body. He looked a lot smaller then.

Yup. I think he gained too much bulk last season and lost quickness and stamina, as Ehlers and Morrissey did. If he slims down, I expect an even better season.

Reactions: Hokinaittii

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He has 80 goals as a teen with low icetime. If I were to say his development has failed, there aren't any players whose development didn't fail if that is the standard.

Leads the team in 5 on 5 +/- after two teenage seasons. Hard to find the failure there.

Requires "eye test", a subjective ranking based on the persons individual preference to find the failure. It's not convincing to me when reality shows otherwise.

You can have your opinion, I'm just explaining why I can't agree with it.

You just went somewhere else completely.

Everyone here knows Laine has one of the best shots in the league if not the best.

But this thread has been about Laines offseason training/skating, skating which is his biggest weakness.
Laine looked heavy at the start of last season, he himself said in an interview on September 15th that he had few skates later part of August and isn't a big believer in skating, after 4months off the ice.
There should have been no reasons why he couldn't have skated more and show up in better shape to camp.
From playoffs MVP to this years playoffs Laine I really can't tell a difference in his skating, from 2 years time.
So I think we can make an argument that his development under Rautala hasn't been perfect.

No one's said he's offseason training has been a bust, just that it hasn't been perfect. But of course you act like that's what's been said.

Last edited:

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Ok so you are just saying it "could" have been better.

Maybe, maybe not. What evidence do we have?

Naturally you can speculate with it but we don't all need to agree with the conclusion you arrive to.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Ok so you are just saying it "could" have been better.

Maybe, maybe not. What evidence do we have?

Naturally you can speculate with it but we don't all need to agree with the conclusion you arrive to.

That he showed up not in shape to camp and admitted of not skating much in the summer, which lead to plenty of frustrating games in the 1st half.

The issue is saying everything's gone perfect and the Jets are to blame.

The good thing is that has been changed for this summer.

Reactions: Tommigun

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
That he showed up not in shape at the camp and admitted of not skating much in the summer, which lead to plenty of frustrating games in the 1st half.

The issue is saying everything's gone perfect and the Jets are to blame.

The good thing is that has been changed for this summer.

No the issue is the twisting of facts to fit a narrative after being corrected.

They planned this schedule together. First off season do thing A, next off season do thing B. Next off season do thing C

They seem to be on schedule. It just appears you would have preferred a different plan, and you are convinced it would have been even better.

You may believe in that. I don't have to.

Reactions: Halberdier

tgoat

Jan 3, 2016
According to an interview today by finnish mediahouse MTV, Laine has been training hard this summer, mainly focusing on explosiveness and less on speed. Patrik told, that his training consisted sprinting 20 meter with a sled and he told, that his ''explosiveness' part has been greatly improved, but there's still lots of room for improvement

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
According to an interview today by finnish mediahouse MTV, Laine has been training hard this summer, mainly focusing on explosiveness and less on speed. Patrik told, that his training consisted sprinting 20 meter with a sled and he told, that his ''explosiveness' part has been greatly improved, but there's still lots of room for improvement

I’m glad because his Speed is just fine, his explosiveness is the issue.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Yeah he said his first few steps have been improved by this off season. Of course still ways to go and improve in everything.

Sounds good to me.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
No the issue is the twisting of facts to fit a narrative after being corrected.

They planned this schedule together. First off season do thing A, next off season do thing B. Next off season do thing C

They seem to be on schedule.
Really hope not. This time, i want Laine to look like an athlete. At least remotely.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Keep the weight off. He needs to play lighter than he did last season.

I think he will. I almost forgot how good he looked three seasons ago.

Look, I don’t think his off-season training has been perfect and he knows it as well, he showed up too heavy at last camp. That’s fact, he said so himself.

HOWEVER, I do think it was part of the plan - he was like a frigging twig with that frame of his so he HAD to bulk up. I do believe it’s part of the long-term plan. It’s all good.

This off-season he’s focusing on speed and I think we’ll get the old Laine back :D

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Interesting to read Laine has lost 6 kilos during the summer while having the focus on improving speed and not so much on strength like earlier. I really hope we will see a faster, more agile and fitter Laine as soon as training camp starts.
2016 wjc Laine Beast mode!

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Laine has also lost 6kg of weight apparently, according to Turun Sanomat. The entire group has shifted focus more into training speed and explosiveness.

If Laine skates better next season, i hope the "he needs to skate skate skate" crowd will willingly eat the crow.

Im not in either group, so i dont have to eat anything :D

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Laine has also lost 6kg of weight apparently, according to Turun Sanomat. The entire group has shifted focus more into training speed and explosiveness.

If Laine skates better next season, i hope the "he needs to skate skate skate" crowd will willingly eat the crow.

Im not in either group, so i dont have to eat anything :D

The skate skate group won't be eating crow, they will become quite and will be proven correct.

PS: I'm one of those people who has been critizing his skating from day one and saying he needs to improve it.....hopefully he finally is doing it.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The skate skate group won't be eating crow, they will become quite and will be proven correct.

PS: I'm one of those people who has been critizing his skating from day one and saying he needs to improve it.....hopefully he finally is doing it.
His training has been for the summer enormously more about fixing his physical weaknesses than about skating. Skating has been a very small minority of his off-season training. Just a small adjusting with it once a week. Everything else has been about training a lot of explosiveness and stamina for his legs.

Just according to their plan, they were during the first off-season (2015) with Rautala fixing carefully his leg power and condition gradually after his knee injury and operation. That was about really professional recovery training. Then the second off-season (2016) they were training the most explosive strength, the third off-season (2017) was about mostly training general strength and strength to his core, to help him use then with his skating more efficiently the explosive power that he was training again as the focus for the fourth off-season with Rautala (2018).

So the skate-skate -people will not be proven right about anything. Laine is not skating much at all even this summer. Some adjusting skating, which is definitely useful after all the hard physical training during June and July. Rautala, Laine and the Jets coaching are proved very much right with their plan and their approach, if his development continues well with his production and overall game during the starting season. No one else can take even a bit of credit for it. Especially no one on these boards.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Does anyone know what he weighs right now? Or what he weighed during last season accurately?

Being 6'5", he never looked too heavy to me. His movement did, but he body always looks lanky.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I prefer him skating to playing badminton, and I've said for some time that he bulked up too much and was too heavy last season. Just losing weight will make him quicker this season. He can still improve his skating technique, just like any young hockey player.

I'm glad they've realized a need to shift to getting leaner and quicker. Maybe Slaunwhite had some influence. He's always stressed the importance of focusing on speed and quickness, rather than just bulking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad