News Article: Laich wants trade (placed on waivers Feb 21, 2017 - updated: clears waivers)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think there's little doubt he wont get claimed, this was the first step, now we'll see if there willing to retain or take back another bad contract to move him.

I don't see the Leafs having any motivation to do that unless it benefits them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't see the Leafs having any motivation to do that unless it benefits them.

It's sad for Laich because he's rejecting the only plausible role he has in the organization, when in fact he probably has no hockey left, and he's only here because the Leafs wanted Connor Carrick and that pick...

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
My prediction:
Last second deal. 50% retained he is traded to a playoff team for their cap dump at full value and a good prospect.
If we trade him and retain 50% of his salary, we still pay him less and he hits the cap for this year less.
Second free agency hits he no longer counts as a retention so no big deal.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My prediction:
Last second deal. 50% retained he is traded to a playoff team for their cap dump at full value and a good prospect.
If we trade him and retain 50% of his salary, we still pay him less and he hits the cap for this year less.
Second free agency hits he no longer counts as a retention so no big deal.

After putting him on waivers, I think they just ignore him...

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
so they put him on waivers by why not use him to trade for a top 4 defensemen instead. That way instead of losing him for nothing we can use him to get back a defensmen

The okay then we are adding kadri to that deal. Or a 1st round draft pick

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Brooks: I don't like my role here. I demand to be traded to a contending team.
Lou: oh I'm sorry. Let me offer you around the league for free.

*************crickets*****************

Lou: get back to work.....

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
so they put him on waivers by why not use him to trade for a top 4 defensemen instead. That way instead of losing him for nothing we can use him to get back a defensmen

You do understand that Laich is literally not going to get anything right? No gas left in the tank, if he plays in the show again I'll be surprised. He should probably just be happy that he's making 3m playing in the A.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brooks: I don't like my role here. I demand to be traded to a contending team.
Lou: oh I'm sorry. Let me offer you around the league for free.

*************crickets*****************

Lou: get back to work.....

Get back to work, or Lou sends you off to Laich Island, which is beside Robidas Island, but they don't get cheques.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
He signed his own demise when he signed the contract. Same with plenty of others around the league. Good news for him is he's free after this year. He'll get a pro-tryout for a a one year minimum in September.

It's on him at that point...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
After putting him on waivers, I think they just ignore him...
While I would be surprised if Laich gets traded since any of the 29 other teams could have had him for free off waivers more than once since this was the second time Laich was placed on waivers this season, I wonder if a team might trade for him after clearing waivers? Doesn't that happen due to other teams contract limits and etc? I know in the past other players have been traded after previously clearing waivers.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
While I would be surprised if Laich gets traded since any of the 29 other teams could have had him for free off waivers more than once since this was the second time Laich was placed on waivers this season, I wonder if a team might trade for him after clearing waivers? Doesn't that happen due to other teams contract limits and etc? I know in the past other players have been traded after previously clearing waivers.

But now any team that trades for him doesn't have to play him on their NHL roster for 30 days without demoting him and subjecting him to re-entry waivers(or whatever it's called). So a trade to a team for a bag of pucks that puts him directly to their AHL squad as a call-up can be made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad