News Article: Laich wants trade (placed on waivers Feb 21, 2017 - updated: clears waivers)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Laich didn't sign here he was a cap dump. He wasn't much of a player when he played here and was only filler, much like Greening and Michalek.

Guys like Timashov, Johnson and Moore were very snake bitten/cold early on. The whole team was in a funk and were last (or close to) in their division in November. I'd say only Kapanen was the one that had the consistency from the start until his injury. Timashov didn't receive a lot of minutes early on but still played really well. Rychel and Johnson were good throughout the season and received a good amount of minutes. Moore was up and down.

Johnsson was up and down, but the other two didn't get minutes mostly. Moore was healthy scratched for so long I thought he was injured, and Timashov was on a checking line that wasn't producing.

A lot of it has to do with everyone not playing up to standards through the crap period.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He is done playing for any team that the Leafs control....as well no one is going to claim him and he is not the positive influence in the dressing room that they thought they were getting, if he was he would still be a Leaf.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I also think when players are "bad" on good teams - they still kinda look good coz the team has depth. if you are bad on a bad team you don't look good at all.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Well, its kind of his fault hes not very good anymore.

I also struggle with the thought other teams didnt know he was available before this. Im pretty sure everyone knows it.

Ahahahahaha. . I hope no one feels sorry for this guy, he has the world by the tail financially, heck, he should have just kept playing for the Marlies.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I think it's mostly one of the following things:

1) The Leafs have something for him now, but it'll likely involve retention and getting nothing in return so they'll put him on waivers to see if they can move him out without retention (unlikely, but might as well try). Otherwise they'll trade him once he clears (i.e. like Kalinin and Gilbert among others).
2) They want to honour his wish and see if someone wants him. If nobody does, then well sorry Brooks.
3) Perhaps mutual termination comes about.

Out of curiosity in a mutual termination are the Leafs still on the hook for his salary at all?

He may pout all he wants about being on the Marlies and wanting to play, but when push comes to shove I am guessing he will not forfeit the remainder of his $4M contract

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Out of curiosity in a mutual termination are the Leafs still on the hook for his salary at all?

He may pout all he wants about being on the Marlies and wanting to play, but when push comes to shove I am guessing he will not forfeit the remainder of his $4M contract

In that case, no.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
“My body feels really good,” he said. “My skating feels good. I worked on a lot of things. I was able to change some patterns and change my skates a little bit. There were some things I changed that I really feel a benefit from. My game is starting to come back.”

“I want to be more creative offensively,” he added. “That’s the one thing I want to get back into my game more.”

I know he's trying to attract a buyer, but this sounds silly to me. He's changed his skates a bit, changed some patterns. Is trying to be more creative. Says his game is starting to come back.

How has he determined his game is coming back? Practice?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Cant blame him for wanting to play in the NHL and get a chance to win the cup.

Especially cause of when he ended up getting traded by the Caps. That musta been a tough pill to swallow.

But he's got way to big of a salary to be traded, unless we eat 50%.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Calling it now. After he clears, he'll be traded to the Wild for like a 6th with leafs retaining half.

Wild are looking for a 4C + Laich's history with BB + Fletcher's M.O. of buying past their prime Vets for 4th line spots make it so obvious it hurts.

I'm going to hate every second of it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Cant blame him for wanting to play in the NHL and get a chance to win the cup.

Especially cause of when he ended up getting traded by the Caps. That musta been a tough pill to swallow.

But he's got way to big of a salary to be traded, unless we eat 50%.

welll it's not like they went far, so he didn't miss much :nod:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Calling it now. After he clears, he'll be traded to the Wild for like a 6th with leafs retaining half.

Wild are looking for a 4C + Laich's history with BB + Fletcher's M.O. of buying past their prime Vets for 4th line spots make it so obvious it hurts.

Great prediction, I'd be onside with this to be honest...it would be a classy way to get the guy back to the NHL

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

:laugh: I'd be okay with a deal like that. Who's your currently #4C? The Leafs could use another forward who meeting the 40/70 exposure requirements for the expansion draft if the Wild have one that they don't have much use for.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Eh I'm sure if it happened it would be for a conditional pick that would likely not be meant, something like if Laich plays more than half the games in the playoffs and the Wild make it to the Finals. Similar to the Gilbert trade.

With that said, you could do a lot better. I'm not sure if that makes any sense for you guys.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

But we'd like it :D

Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried. If the Leafs trade Laich, we aren't expect anything.

Maybe the Leafs would ask for Tyler Graovac back.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Tyler Graovac, youngish C who BB doesn't quite trust in the D zone.

But we'd like it :D

Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried. If the Leafs trade Laich, we aren't expect anything.

Maybe the Leafs would ask for Tyler Graovac back.

That what I was getting at .. I thought I saw that Wild fans weren't keen on him but I could be totally off base. He fits the exposure requirements if he's a piece that the Wild don't really care much about.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Eh I'm sure if it happened it would be for a conditional pick that would likely not be meant, something like if Laich plays more than half the games in the playoffs and the Wild make it to the Finals. Similar to the Gilbert trade.

With that said, you could do a lot better. I'm not sure if that makes any sense for you guys.

I'm sure we could do better. But you get to know a GM, and some moves are just so obviously up his alley they are easy to predict. I'll be flat out shocked if something along this line doesn't happen.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
That what I was getting at .. I thought I saw that Wild fans weren't keen on him but I could be totally off base. He fits the exposure requirements if he's a piece that the Wild don't really care much about.

I suspect they wouldn't include anything but a late pick. Still a good chance Graovac becomes a bottom 6 player. Only 23, just doesn't quite have the consistency BB is looking for at the moment as the playoffs approach.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm sure we could do better. But you get to know a GM, and some moves are just so obviously up his alley they are easy to predict. I'll be flat out shocked if something along this line doesn't happen.

We'll see in the next couple days. :laugh:

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I suspect they wouldn't include anything but a late pick. Still a good chance Graovac becomes a bottom 6 player. Only 23, just doesn't quite have the consistency BB is looking for at the moment as the playoffs approach.

Fair enough - thanks for the info

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
just retire and stay home and snuggle your wife Julianne Hough for god sakes

or get a real job ...lol ...im sure he netted at least 10 million .every year they ll be more and more players looking for work ,as well you ll see more and more late bloomers making clubs at cheap wages ...some league minimum players now are getting 10 goals ffs

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Honestly, I'd prefer a 7th anyways. Leafs do wonders with those picks, and with Gauthier in the system, I doubt Graovac would have a fair shake here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad