News Article: Laich wants trade (placed on waivers Feb 21, 2017 - updated: clears waivers)

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
https://theathletic.com/39552/2017/...-like-to-pursue-a-stanley-cup-somewhere-else/

Am I crazy to think that HE'S CRAZY... to expect a team to be interested in him? He's got 6 points in 21 AHL games! I feel like at 33, and the experience he has in the NHL.. that if he really put enough effort into his season, he'd be producing more and at least be a regular on the Marlies.

I'd imagine that if the Leafs could find a taker.. than he'd have been long gone, long ago. I understand that he wants another chance... but he's made his own bed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Agreed, 6 points in 21 AHL games.... he better start playing like he deserves to be then.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't think it's going to happen - he has negative value even if we retain half his contract.

If he REALLY wants to play, maybe he could restructure his contract (I don't know if that's even allowed, though).

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Well 1st of all, the Leafs/we don't want Laich playing big minutes on the Marlies. That would be bad for the kids' developments down there. He's a victim of bad circumstance. He's absolutely better than Ben Smith that's for sure.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Well 1st of all, the Leafs/we don't want Laich playing big minutes on the Marlies. That would be bad for the kids' developments down there. He's a victim of bad circumstance. He's absolutely better than Ben Smith that's for sure.

If Babcock thought he was better than Ben Smith, he would be on the Leafs - we aren't saving any money having Laich in the AHL & Smith in the NHL.

By the way, in Smith's last stretch of regular time in the AHL he had 47 points in 54 games. In 2015/16, Smith played 5 games with the Marlies and put up 6 points. Laich has put up 6 points in 21 games with the Marlies this season.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Well I wana toilet made out of solid gold, but it's just not in the cards now is it?

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Trade him if you can. He's a good guy and they should do what they can for him.

Retain 50% if you need to.

Will be tough to find a taker though.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
The only scenario I can see working: we trade him for an equally bad contract with the same term.

No one will want him, even at 50 % retained, but some team might want to try a change of scenery.

Maybe Laich + small plus for Mark Fayne?

EDIT: nevermind, I think Laich's deal expires this year while Fayne's goes through 17/18, so that wouldn't make sense for us.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
https://theathletic.com/39552/2017/...-like-to-pursue-a-stanley-cup-somewhere-else/

Am I crazy to think that HE'S CRAZY... to expect a team to be interested in him? He's got 6 points in 21 AHL games! I feel like at 33, and the experience he has in the NHL.. that if he really put enough effort into his season, he'd be producing more and at least be a regular on the Marlies.

I'd imagine that if the Leafs could find a taker.. than he'd have been long gone, long ago. I understand that he wants another chance... but he's made his own bed.

To be fair, it's hard to be producing when you're a part time player. Having said that, he would be mid pack or lower in the depth department on the Marlies or he would have played more. Greening has been moved to centre in his place for a good portion of games. Add to that we want to develop our younger players.

It just comes down to the fact he is too old, low end talent & overpaid. I can't imagine anyone taking him, even if we threw in a bag of pucks.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
He'd be a better 4th line C option than what the Leafs have now...

Make the trade more appealing to a potential suitor. Improve the assets coming back.
Lol laich still isn't worth 50% of what he's making. Who is looking for a player like him anyways? He won't return more then a bag of pucks.. if we retain maybe they'll throw in a water bottle..

Btw if that deal is available I'd probably do it. Just to save leafs half of laichs salary. Other team still probably says no

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
While I can totally understand his feelings on the matter....not happening. He's in the AHL for a reason. No one wants him that much. I get it. At 33 he certainly doesn't want to consider that his NHL career may be over. But the fact he said something like wanting to be moved or brought up, kind of makes the point of what he really thinks. He knows he's running out of time and frankly that no one may be interested this summer in him.

Sadly that's just his break. He's not very good and heading into his mid 30s. All he can do is try to improve his game this year, go into the summer and hope someone will give him an NHL job.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

100% there aren't a lot of spots on the Marlies, especially with the young players getting precedence... however I feel like heart and hustle is not ignored in any level of any sport. If he played like every game was his last, he most certainly would have a spot somewhere.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Lol, good for him. He's a depth AHL player at this point. The Leafs could use a good 4th line centre, if Laich was playing like an NHL calibre player, he would be in the NHL! This isn't the Leafs fault, it's his.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Of course he wants out, and the Leafs have no interest in him obviously...the trouble is he can't even make an impact in the MINORS, so he's his own worst enemy now, it's not the teams fault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad