News Article: Lafreniere, expected No. 1 pick in 2020 NHL Draft, to skip QMJHL season

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Dude when you put it like that that's really bad
Yes we found Hank in the 7th...and we found other guys that have been mainstays for a while but not ONE 60point player drafted in 30 years!?!?
That's pathetic

In fairness, it also includes the dark years of the 1990s, guys who were traded, and guys who performed at that level but missed games here and there.

So it is a little misleading as well.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Dude when you put it like that that's really bad
Yes we found Hank in the 7th...and we found other guys that have been mainstays for a while but not ONE 60point player drafted in 30 years!?!?
That's pathetic

No no, I said 60 point forward for us. Marc Savard hit 60 points elsewhere. So did JT Miller now. And Sergei Zubov hit 60+ for us after Amonte but he's a defenseman.

Still bad hahahah

Reactions: TopShelf86

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
No no, I said 60 point forward for us. Marc Savard hit 60 points elsewhere. So did JT Miller now. And Sergei Zubov hit 60+ for us after Amonte but he's a defenseman.

Still bad hahahah

But that also becomes a different subject.

Trading the players, after you've drafted and developed them, makes things a bit merkier.

Kind of like how some people don't like to include the player the Rangers drafted with a pick they recieved when evaluating the balance of a trade at the time it was made.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The idea of good things happening to this team is too much to bear

It's interesting to me that even in a thread that should be abounding with optimism, we find a way to bring the negative into it. And it's been this weird sustained push for a few weeks now on here --- just this negative energy that we randomly insert into subjects.

Lafreniere is easily the most intriguing draft pick we've ever had. Even more than Kakko in 2019, or Kovalev in 1991, or even Leetch in 1986. This is literally the type of moment and the type of draft prospect this board was created to celebrate when it was launched more than 20 years ago.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
It's interesting to me that even in a thread that should be abounding with optimism, we find a way to bring the negative into it. And it's been this weird sustained push for a few weeks now on here --- just this negative energy that we randomly insert into subjects.

Lafreniere is easily the most intriguing draft pick we've ever had. Even more than Kakko in 2019, or Kovalev in 1991, or even Leetch in 1986. This is literally the type of moment and the type of draft prospect this board was created to celebrate when it was launched more than 20 years ago.

If I could like this post more than once, I absolutely would.

TopShelf86

Aug 16, 2020

Still bad hahahah
Of course they do better for others lol
Like Kovalev

The ONLY guy that's done better when the came here was Panarin
Which considering our history his co tract is even more well deserved
I know were talking about drafted players but still

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Of course they do better for others lol
Like Kovalev

The ONLY guy that's done better when the came here was Panarin
Which considering our history his co tract is even more well deserved
I know were talking about drafted players but still

Well, Jagr's 123 points in 2005-06 was his 3rd highest in his career. His 54 goals were his 2nd best in his career.

There are other examples as well. Zibanejad is a big one. Brassard had career highs in goals and points as a Ranger. Those are 3 examples off the top of my head

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Well, Jagr's 123 points in 2005-06 was his 3rd highest in his career. His 54 goals were his 2nd best in his career.

There are other examples as well. Zibanejad is a big one. Brassard had career highs in goals and points as a Ranger. Those are 3 examples off the top of my head

Graves is another one. Dvorak is another. Nylander has some of his best seasons here. Messier did well here. Gaborik did well here. ADA found his groove here. On a more modest level, a guy like Roszival had his best years here. Raanta upped his game here.

This is just off the top of my head without thinking too long about it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
While factually true, I will say that Stepan had 44pts in the shortened 2012-13, 48 game season. Not his fault for that. He also averaged just under 62pts/82gms during his five prime years here. Still (and sorry to bring it up) the Jessiman, McIlrath, Staal, and Cherepanov picks hurt for various reasons.

I think with their pre-draft scouting pedigree/prognostications, expecting them to develop into those production numbers would not be considered wishful thinking.

Stepan actually paced 60 points or better 3 times in his career. The lockout season you mentioned. 14-15: 55 in 68 = 66 point pace. 15-16: 53 in 72 = 60 point pace.

Also, in 10-11, Callahan scored 48 in 60 for a 65 point pace.

Kovalev paced over 60 points for the Rangers in 96-97. In 97-98 he paced 59.5.

In 01-02, Mike York had 57 in 69 for a 67 point pace when we traded him. He scored 4 more points that season for the Oilers.

But none hit actually hit 60 with us and that’s still a pretty terrible track record even if those few guys managed to do so in those years.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I consider this look back at the past of Rangers draft history to be a form of optimism. It’s like “guys, look at all this shit we’ve gone through that is about to be over.”

Also, I’m saving some of my over the moon optimism for when the draft actually happens.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Also, I’m saving some of my over the moon optimism for when the draft actually happens.

I'm not! I'm allowing myself to have visions of Lafreniere seperating Barzal from the puck by sending him head over heels into his bench and then going wide on the Isle D with a power move to the front, quick forehand backhand short side under the crossbar. Celly commences, all in a Ranger home jersey....ohhhh ohhh ohhhhhh

Reactions: Inferno

TopShelf86

Aug 16, 2020

Lol I'm a shmuck...Jags was so long ago I forgot about him
Also true about Zib obviously

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I think the data to the contrary is compelling and I don't think anyone in the league would agree with the assessment that they are bottom 5.

I think, at worst, they'd be placed middle of the pack. I think a good percentage would put them in the top 1/3.

If stats like games played and points, both per pick and cumulative, place them in the bottom 3, how are they all of a sudden a top 10 team in drafting?

Other than mental gymnastics, of course.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I think the data to the contrary is compelling and I don't think anyone in the league would agree with the assessment that they are bottom 5.

I think, at worst, they'd be placed middle of the pack. I think a good percentage would put them in the top 1/3.
Spot on.

2000-2009

upload_2020-8-26_21-43-41.png

2005-Present

Average first selection: 21.4 (28th)
Games played: 4,142 (16th)

upload_2020-8-26_21-45-18.png

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Still bad hahahah

doug weight hit 60+ points 8 times (high of 104), kovalev hit 60+ 7 times (high of 95), and todd marchant also hit 60 points once....sadly all after we traded them away. your statement still holds true cause they didn't do it as rangers, but if people are using that to judge our drafting history, thats a different story. we actually drafted some good players during that era, stupidly trading those players after the fact doesn't make them bad drafts though. And I know that isn't the argument you were making but others seem to have taken it that way.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

Expect the worst and you’ll never be disappointed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad