Post-Game Talk: Laffing Stock - The call-ups get it done in Winnipeg (Pens win 7-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Letang drifts to the center, Jake bolts from the boards to other side immediatly, Dumoulin sells the one timer perfectly taking the Jet defender off Letang, Simon picks the Jet coming across trying to follow Jake, Sid floats to the boards freezing the Jets center, all of which leads to Jake being wide open on his forehand for an un-contested shot. It's about as perfect a set play as you could come up with.

Like the set play to Sheary in the Finals vs SJS.

They don't have many orr try many.

But they have em.

Reactions: Khelandros

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Going back to the set play discussion from a couple of pages ago, how can you tell it's a set play? I've never played before (um, if you couldn't already tell from my posts), so I'm just curious what to look for.

As a casual fan, or someone who hasn't played, its hard to know when a play is a set play unless you watch face off plays closely which is where your set plays occur the most. As a game or series of games goes on you'll see the same set plays occur (with varying degrees of success), and thats when you'll start noticing a set play vs players using instincts or errors to create opportunities. Each line may have different set plays. The Pens line that I think utilized set plays best was when Geno and Neal were on a line together and Neal was positioned directly behind Geno on the draws, it was simple but effective. The Guentzel goal was a thing of beauty.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Going back to the set play discussion from a couple of pages ago, how can you tell it's a set play? I've never played before (um, if you couldn't already tell from my posts), so I'm just curious what to look for.

A good tell-tale is when you watch the replay and you see everyone is immediately going places after the first pass that don't make sense until the second pass. Guentzels movement looks genius for anticipating space until you see Simon and Crosby are both immediately running distraction for his movement and you know everyone was taking pre-planned routes for that play.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Like the set play to Sheary in the Finals vs SJS.

They don't have many orr try many.

But they have em.

I was told on the main board that faceoffs don't matter because they don't contribute to winning.

Funny how that set faceoff contributed to an actual win

Reactions: EightyOne

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
there not really wrong though. faceoffs are one of the most overrated skillsets. Once in a blue moon they actually make a difference

The problem is that FO's are weighted equally in terms of statistics. You see the game summary and Team X won 54%, that tells me diddly squat about the game

I want to know how many FO's were won in the offensive and defensive zones. Because the opening FO isn't the same as one starting the PP or a PK where initial possession is extremely important.

At this point, yes FO's don't have a correlation to goals but that's due to the stats not being parsed as mentioned above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad