Post-Game Talk: Laffing Stock - The call-ups get it done in Winnipeg (Pens win 7-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd play him with Sid and Guentzel. He looked unreal with them.

That puts Guentzel on his off-wing, which I'm not a fan of. They have too many decent RW options for me to be okay with them moving Guentzel to RW to accommodate McCann.

McCann is one of those guys who always leaves me wanting more. He'll have a two goal game and score some wicked snipes and then have a game like last night where I hardly noticed him.

I do really like the player though but I'm so high on his potential that I think he's a guy who could be a 30 goal threat if he ever found consistency. His shot and hands are that good. I will be disappointed if he isn't at least around 20g this year.

I feel like McCann is basically a less vanilla Sutter, if that makes sense. He has similar strengths to Sutter (fast, good shot, good defensively), but he overall has a greater impact in an average game than Sutter. I don't think 20 goals is unreasonable to get out of him in a 3C role.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
That puts Guentzel on his off-wing, which I'm not a fan of. They have too many decent RW options for me to be okay with them moving Guentzel to RW to accommodate McCann.

I feel like McCann is basically a less vanilla Sutter, if that makes sense. He has similar strengths to Sutter (fast, good shot, good defensively), but he overall has a greater impact in an average game than Sutter. I don't think 20 goals is unreasonable to get out of him in a 3C role.

Yeah I can see that. He does have better hands and is more willing to battle than Sutter ever was, but there are a lot of similarities there.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I could be remembering incorrectly, but when Guentzel played his off wing he actually scored at the exact same pace. And didn't McCann play the right side when he played with Sid and Jake? I think he did a bit.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I understand comparing the new guys to Sheary/Rust/Guentzel/Wilson/etc but our current guys are nowhere near as talented or skilled as the previous crop. I think the best we can hope for is what's happening now. A spark-plug 4th line and admirable duty in the top-9 when needed.

I'm actually holding out more hope that Bjorkqvist, Angello, Bellerive, etc can be the true next wave of impact young guys.

How very dare you compare Sam "100 point pace" Lafferty with Scott "AHLer with sweet nunchucks skills" Wilson.

Seriously though, I think people overrate that group of players, Guentzel aside. Sheary was skilled but only made it effective for one season and about 50% of the playoffs. Rust's a fine player at his best but his best is playing the same sort of spark plug role we're seeing out of Lafferty (just a lot higher up the line up). Wilson and Kuhnhackl ran out of having business in the NHL when they ran out of adrenaline and skillful line mates. Right now, I'm seeing no reason Lafferty couldn't be Rust good; AJ and Blandisi are questions, but could be as good as Wilson/Kuhnhackl (hell, Blandisi's NHL best blows them out the water). And Angello/Bjorkqvist/Bellerive have some to go to be as good in the AHL as them, nevermind making the step.

I don't think we ever need McCann to be a guy who drives a line. He's being thrust into a role we had no intention of using him in right now.

Need, maybe not. Want, very much. If McCann could nail down 3C, it'd be a big blessing. There's been moments where it looks like he could be that; last night wasn't one of them.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
How very dare you compare Sam "100 point pace" Lafferty with Scott "AHLer with sweet nunchucks skills" Wilson.

Seriously though, I think people overrate that group of players, Guentzel aside. Sheary was skilled but only made it effective for one season and about 50% of the playoffs. Rust's a fine player at his best but his best is playing the same sort of spark plug role we're seeing out of Lafferty (just a lot higher up the line up). Wilson and Kuhnhackl ran out of having business in the NHL when they ran out of adrenaline and skillful line mates. Right now, I'm seeing no reason Lafferty couldn't be Rust good; AJ and Blandisi are questions, but could be as good as Wilson/Kuhnhackl (hell, Blandisi's NHL best blows them out the water). And Angello/Bjorkqvist/Bellerive have some to go to be as good in the AHL as them, nevermind making the step.

Need, maybe not. Want, very much. If McCann could nail down 3C, it'd be a big blessing. There's been moments where it looks like he could be that; last night wasn't one of them.
Sorry but I think Rust is 3x the player Lafferty is, or could hope to be. Not saying he's bad but I can't ever see Lafferty playing a top 6 role on a team that wins a Stanley cup.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
I think @Jesse is not giving enough credit to Simon/Sid. This is a 100000% set play. Sid/Simon are purposely throwing picks to confuse the defense and get Jake open.

100% correct. I should've clarified that the genius behin this was Guentzel navigating through that mess of bodies to get open. I also didn't stop to think that this might've been a set play. I was so focused on Guentzel settling in that I ignored Simon's pick play.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
we still have some old players we rely on...some guys by the names of Sid, Letang, Horny...I don’t want Sid grinding for 20+ min a night for 82 games...young guys also aren’t used to playing for 82 games plus 20+ more in POs...

I get what you mean, trust me.

I'm just saying this style they are playing now... speed and discipline, wears more on the other team than it does on them.

Playing undisciplined hockey is way more tiresome and wears you down faster both physically and mentally.

There are just variables... or better yet wrenches, that will be thrown into this mix as guys get healthy.

Malkin has a tendency to play undisciplined hockey, turning pucks over and taking dumb ass penalties.

AG looks slow and a step behind too often in the games he has played...

Bju plays with zero intensity and many nights is just kind of there...

JR has become borderline insane and his quest for size and truculence has ruined this roster the last couple years...

Just lots of things I see to be concerned with that could throw this team into a tailspin.

Sorry but I think Rust is 3x the player Lafferty is, or could hope to be. Not saying he's bad but I can't ever see Lafferty playing a top 6 role on a team that wins a Stanley cup.

To be fair, people thought the same thing about Rust several years ago.

Reactions: Andy99

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I get what you mean, trust me.

I'm just saying this style they are playing now... speed and discipline, wears more on the other team than it does on them.

Playing undisciplined hockey is way more tiresome and wears you down faster both physically and mentally.

There are just variables... or better yet wrenches, that will be thrown into this mix as guys get healthy.

Malkin has a tendency to play undisciplined hockey, turning pucks over and taking dumb ass penalties.

AG looks slow and a step behind too often in the games he has played...

Bju plays with zero intensity and many nights is just kind of there...

JR has become borderline insane and his quest for size and truculence has ruined this roster the last couple years...

Just lots of things I see to be concerned with that could throw this team into a tailspin.

To be fair, people thought the same thing about Rust several years ago.
In his defence that could've had something to do with his groin injury. Also I suppose that's true. But personally I never thought he couldn't be a top-6 contributor. Even going back to his time in WBS I thought he had the tools to be more than a good 3rd/4th liner. Everything I've seen from Lafferty just screams "high-energy bottom 6er"

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

What about Rust is out of the reach of Lafferty? He's not much faster, he's smaller and less physical... better hockey IQ? Better hands? Works harder? Because I'm not really seeing any of those things.

Jiggyfly is right. Four years ago, Rust was in the position Lafferty was in... except without the instant impact. If Rust could break out and reach his absolute ceiling, why can't Lafferty?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
What about Rust is out of the reach of Lafferty? He's not much faster, he's smaller and less physical... better hockey IQ? Better hands? Works harder? Because I'm not really seeing any of those things.

Jiggyfly is right. Four years ago, Rust was in the position Lafferty was in... except without the instant impact. If Rust could break out and reach his absolute ceiling, why can't Lafferty?
I think Rust's skills with the puck are better. Shows better IQ, better puck protection and ultimately his brain can keep up with his legs. With Lafferty, I think he's a guy who is good away from the puck and can use speed to cause havoc on the forecheck, make quick passes and chips and bury some chances in tight. Qualities that are ideal and what you want from a bottm 6 guy.

I'm basing all of this on things I've seen from both while they were in WBS since Laff's sample size in the NHL is so small. Maybe his game translates better to the NHL since there are differences, but Rust just showed a lot more polish and skill coming out of the AHL than Lafferty.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
In his defence that could've had something to do with his groin injury. Also I suppose that's true. But personally I never thought he couldn't be a top-6 contributor. Even going back to his time in WBS I thought he had the tools to be more than a good 3rd/4th liner. Everything I've seen from Lafferty just screams "high-energy bottom 6er"

I've seen both guys come up and I always had Rust pegged as a bottom six energy guy and Lafferty as the way more skilled player with a much higher hockey IQ.

Rust is starting to show a little vision now, thankfully. But until maybe last season, he was always a horse blinders guy that just played balls to the walls.

Lafferty is almost as fast, but he's way more cerebral and you will begin to see he's a pretty gifted playmaker as well.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
And Simon. Guy didn't score a goal for the longest time. Had an up/down preseason. Guys like Kahun are on his tail and playing decent. And I thought Simon looked INCREDIBLE last night. Their cycle game was out of control good. He separated himself from Kahun and others.

And then I look at the Marino situation. Gudbranson sat one night. JJ sat the other. That's 7.5m while Marino gets a spot because he earned it. It's just a very healthy competition and I think it makes everyone better. It makes everyone just a tad hungrier. It doesn't let anyone become complacent.

Re: Simon, him getting the goal last night is big. He flat out needs more of that. Let's be honest, Jets and minny are pretty garbage. When it comes time to face the Tampas, Avs, VGKs, Leafs, etc - we need a Simon that produces more. Good "play" is all well and good but he needs the goals and apples. There will come a time when good teams can shut down Sid. Jake cant be the only other producer on the top line. Cautiously optimistic.

Re: Marino, if we can get one of JJ or EG gone, it my even open up the chance for competition between Riikola, Rudwedel, and the other. I love that he seems to have cemented #5. Need more of this. I wouldnt hate getting rid of weight and bringing in another top 4 dman.

I know where you live and do your crazy workouts. I'm coming for you. The first ever HFWF REAL match! @Scandale du Jour @KIRK @M.C.G. 31

*looks at my old udt shorts on the hanger in the closet*

Meh, you kids have fun.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I've seen both guys come up and I always had Rust pegged as a bottom six energy guy and Lafferty as the way more skilled player with a much higher hockey IQ.

Rust is starting to show a little vision now, thankfully. But until maybe last season, he was always a horse blinders guy that just played balls to the walls.

Lafferty is almost as fast, but he's way more cerebral and you will begin to see he's a pretty gifted playmaker as well.
Yeah I never expected Rust to be a viable option for the top 6, but the way I saw it, it didn't surprise me when it happened. If he ever carved a role in the top 6 it was gonna be as the 3rd wheel energy guy.

Speed definitely isn't the issue with Lafferty either but I never saw him as super skilled with the puck on his stick for more than a few seconds.

Like, Rust is a guy I'd be comfortable with carrying the puck through the neutral zone and doing whatever he thinks is the right play. Chipping it in, driving wide, pulling up.... Lafferty never stuck out as cerebral to me and I think his first goal last night is a perfect encapsulation of his game. Winning a puck battle, Finding space, using his speed and finishing in tight.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

People forget Rust basically played 4th line minutes in 15-16 until playoffs.

Also Lafferty already has nearly 75% of Rust’s goal production from 15-16 in three games lol.

Reactions: Dominance and Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lafferty scored some fluky goals...let’s cool the jets on his 30-goal Art Ross producing season...I’m sure he and his 68% or whatever shooting % is probably not sustainable...

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
It's a good problem to have, but you could easily rotate the 4 Right Wingers (Rust, Tanev, Hornqvist, Simon) throughout the lineup based on their play. LW is a different issue Guentzel is and should be stapled to Sid. Malkin and Chucky should also be a pair. Then you have 4 spots (3rd/4th line LW and 3/4C) between McCann, Blueger, Lafferty, Bjugstad, ZAR, and Kahun. 4 of those 6 can play C, and they can all play Wing. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Ideally we somehow package 2 forwards and 2 defenseman and turn them into 1 much better defenseman and 1 forward.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Sullivan did nothing.

Injuries forced players in. Other players started hustling. They even started scoring.

Big ****ing deal.

They still bleed shots. They're still rando in the defensive end.

He didn't change up lines to anything new. Just plugged holes.

so you don’t think he has been preaching this style of play? C’mon man.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lafferty scored some fluky goals...let’s cool the jets on his 30-goal Art Ross producing season...I’m sure he and his 68% or whatever shooting % is probably not sustainable...

The EN and 1st goal were not fluky at all.

I would say the 2nd goal wasn’t fluky either. He got the puck on net, something plenty of our players fail to do as they are looking for a perfect pass.

Last edited:

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
53697461.jpg

Lafferty to Crosby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad