Lack of scoring/finishing

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Actually, net presence is about 4 or 5 on the list of things the Wings need to improve their offense. There is no speed in the top 6 and little speed both up front and on the blueline. Who on this team can skate and has some skill? Pav when healthy, Brunner, Gus, Tatar when he's up--that's it. Of the oplayers I mentioned, only Pav is a proven NHLer. There needs to be an infusion of speed into the top 6 his offseason, but we've been a slow team for the last 3 years. I keep beating the same drum--you can't have as many bad/mediocre skaters in your top 6 as we do and be effective, not even dynamic just effective offensively...not in todays league.

A top nine next season with Pasha, Mule, Brunner, Nyquist, Tatar and Helm should do fine in the skating department. Zetterberg is good in spite of his skating. The dilemma? One is 6'3, the rest are 6' or smaller.

I think it's the size and style of our forwards(as a unit) that keep them from being effective, not their speed. Only Mule has the strength(to go with skill) to play to the inside among those, and he's not doing it consistently. Too many similar playing styles. But add two 6'2+ guys(one 1st liner, one 3rd liner) to that group who are more on the shooting and banging side and you can create some pretty versatile lines that has a little bit of everything.

crashman

A top nine next season with Pasha, Mule, Brunner, Nyquist, Tatar and Helm should do fine in the skating department. Zetterberg is good in spite of his skating. The dilemma? One is 6'3, the rest are 6' or smaller.

I think it's the size and style of our forwards(as a unit) that keep them from being effective, not their speed. Only Mule has the strength(to go with skill) to play to the inside among those, and he's not doing it consistently. Too many similar playing styles. But add two 6'2+ guys to that group who are more on the shooting and banging side and you can create some pretty versatile lines that has a little bit of everything.

I agree, we need at least one more big top 6 forward. Abdelkader IS NOT it.

I'm not really sure who's available (Penner, Clarkson), but I think they should target that kind of player in the off-season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Out best line last year was Hudler, Flip, and Z. not against adding some size/grit/etc., but a fair bit of our problem this year is that we lack size, but we also lack skill up front and experience on the blueline. Let Kindl, DD, and Smith build off of this year, promote Tatar and Nyquist full time next year, maybe have some better luck with health, and that will go a long way towards scoring a few more goals.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Out best line last year was Hudler, Flip, and Z. not against adding some size/grit/etc., but a fair bit of our problem this year is that we lack size, but we also lack skill up front and experience on the blueline. Let Kindl, DD, and Smith build off of this year, promote Tatar and Nyquist full time next year, maybe have some better luck with health, and that will go a long way towards scoring a few more goals.

Not only is this a rational and smart answer, but it's probably the only answer. I don't see a savior in free agency or trade emerging.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Not only is this a rational and smart answer, but it's probably the only answer. I don't see a savior in free agency or trade emerging.

If we can add to that point, but Bertie was fairly effective last year as well. He has some of that size and skill to go with it.

Anyone else enjoying the Nyquist/Brunner combo?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad