Lack of consistency & lack of Discipline are signs of..

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
A strong message would be to send 3 forwards and 2 defenceman down to bingo

and recall 3 forwards and 2 defenceman from Bingo.

Pick any players from either team. Can't hurt one way or another.

I'd be om with that or a lateral movement trade. Maybe it will help guys wake up. We certainly are not playing as hard as we have the past 2 years.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Do 1st star selections give you points in the standings or prevent goals against or create momentum during games? Because otherwise, who cares?

Spezza isn't our only problem, he's played reasonably well, but he is A problem.
It's good to see him giving an earful but if he helped the team rush back and tie the game or scored some clutch goals the team would be unstoppable.

Yeah because he never does any of those things. The reason he's had more 1st stars than anyone else in the NHL is for exactly those reasons. He hasn't been consistently the best player in the NHL or the team, but he's been a game breaker multiple times. The response was due to someone saying that he needs to be the best player on the ice even for just 60 minutes...which he has been already multiple times this year.

Spezza is finding his stride, but he is not the issue with the team right now. The issue is that our defence is young, inexperienced and also lacking in ability/intelligence. Some have hope, and it seems like others don't. Something needs to change there.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
hasnt Detroit lost their last 7 games in a row?

9uzk.jpg

Yes.

Berserker*

A strong message would be to send 3 forwards and 2 defenceman down to bingo

and recall 3 forwards and 2 defenceman from Bingo.

Pick any players from either team. Can't hurt one way or another.

You would have to bench a few players; aside from Zibanejad, Grant and Borowiecki, everyone else has to pass through waivers.

Although that is the most likely next step from here. If we don't play well tonight and Murray can't find a suitable trade partner, he will likely start calling up players and benching roster players to try and mix things up.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
You would have to bench a few players; aside from Zibanejad, Grant and Borowiecki, everyone else has to pass through waivers.

Although that is the most likely next step from here. If we don't play well tonight and Murray can't find a suitable trade partner, he will likely start calling up players and benching roster players to try and mix things up.

If we lose some dead weight on waivers so be it. Shake up the attitude completely

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
If we lose some dead weight on waivers so be it. Shake up the attitude completely

If your shaking up guys your not afraid to lose on waivers are you really shaking things up ? Waste of time the problem is much deeper than that.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
No **** we're suffering from a lack of leadership. Anyone who expected Spezza to step up and fill Alfie's shoes, especially immediately, is simply stupid. People understate the impact of Alfie leaving and should realize it'll take a while for the team to re-gel. Whatever. I've come to expect less from this fanbase.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
No **** we're suffering from a lack of leadership. Anyone who expected Spezza to step up and fill Alfie's shoes, especially immediately, is simply stupid. People understate the impact of Alfie leaving and should realize it'll take a while for the team to re-gel. Whatever. I've come to expect less from this fanbase.

This.

With all those cups alfie's led this team too, and all those historical moments in the battle of ontario. Man if this team just had a 40 year old alfie, whose never been apart of championship team in the nhl. They would be right where they were a season or two ago. Top of the conference competing for the presidents trophy and a favourite for the cup. Oh wait, last 2 years this team has squeaked into the playoffs and now in mid-late november they are 4 points behind the habs with a game in hand for 8th.

Problem isn't spezza's leadership, people.

BigBush*

How do we know there's a problem with Spezza's leadership or not without being in the locker room? By seeing there performances on the ice it looks like there is a problem with leadership. Spezza looks terrible right not. He's coming back from an injury and needs to find his game if this team has a chance of making the playoffs. Looks like Zach Smith is about to pass him in the depth charts

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've never been a Spezza supporter but I find myself feeling a little sorry for the guy. He has 18 pts tied with Turris who some are saying has been our best player & 2 pts less than Ryan who everybody is very happy with. Where's the perspective here? Parise has 18 pts & most on here love this guy, but he has the same amount of pts as Spezza. I don't thing it has anything to do with Spezza's leadership or Alfie departing or some guys not stepping up, every yr some guys aren't playing as well as others. The whole problem is that they are not winning, they are not getting the bounces & they are not getting the calls so far this yr. They have played some very good teams to start the yr when they were not quite prepared or good enough to compete against those team & we expect them to win most games. The other team expects to win too & they will work just as hard, if not harder. Spezza has had his problems same as always but IMO no one player is at fault for the whole team coming out flat & this team has had a history of doing this, not just this yr.

IMO Spezza is playing the same way he has always played, the fact that the team isn't winning & he is newly elected captain, some people lay all the blame on him & that's not fair. Are these same people also watching how often Karlsson screws up this yr & gives the puck away? A lot of people blame Greening & yet I am hearing on the radio how he is in the top 5 in hits in the NHL & leads Ottawa in hits. People wanted him to use his size more, to hit more & to drop them & he has done that yet some still want to get rid of him. He's not a goal scorer, never has been but he is a big, tough, fast defensive forward who can play the PK, stand in front of the net & fight for pucks along the boards. Greening is the kind of guy everybody tries to get at the deadline for the playoffs.

Know the players & what their attributes are, Yost is terrible at this, he is always defending Spezza & Karlsson & always crapping on the bottom six players or the 5th & 6th defenceman like it's their fault the team can't score. He is always crapping on Kassian yet has no answer as to what to do against the other enforcers in the league. Should Neil fight everybody by himself? Does he expect Z. Smith to fight Orr or McClaren? That didn't go so well for DD. I suppose he wants to be like JM & just ignore them, but how did that work for JM, it got him fired ... twice. Kassian does his job & it's not his fault the team isn't winning either. Conacher was brought in to score & he isn't scoring yet people including Yost never critizes that guy but he has critized Greening a non-goal scorer. Neither Greening or Conacher are scoring but I will take Greening & all the stuff he can do over Conacher any day. BM will need to make a least two deals at some point this yr, one for a forward & one for a defenseman but I hope it doesn't cost us a player who turns into a star for the other team, remember Laich. Hopefully BM trades both Conacher & Condra in a package who have become irrelevant to this team for a top 6 forward. And place Corvo on waivers.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
We dont have an on-ice leader. Spezza, Neil and Phillips all seem like off-ice leaders.

Pageau is the answer... soon.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
I've never been a Spezza supporter but I find myself feeling a little sorry for the guy. He has 18 pts tied with Turris who some are saying has been our best player & 2 pts less than Ryan who everybody is very happy with. Where's the perspective here? Parise has 18 pts & most on here love this guy, but he has the same amount of pts as Spezza. I don't thing it has anything to do with Spezza's leadership or Alfie departing or some guys not stepping up, every yr some guys aren't playing as well as others. The whole problem is that they are not winning, they are not getting the bounces & they are not getting the calls so far this yr. They have played some very good teams to start the yr when they were not quite prepared or good enough to compete against those team & we expect them to win most games. The other team expects to win too & they will work just as hard, if not harder. Spezza has had his problems same as always but IMO no one player is at fault for the whole team coming out flat & this team has had a history of doing this, not just this yr.

IMO Spezza is playing the same way he has always played, the fact that the team isn't winning & he is newly elected captain, some people lay all the blame on him & that's not fair. Are these same people also watching how often Karlsson screws up this yr & gives the puck away? A lot of people blame Greening & yet I am hearing on the radio how he is in the top 5 in hits in the NHL & leads Ottawa in hits. People wanted him to use his size more, to hit more & to drop them & he has done that yet some still want to get rid of him. He's not a goal scorer, never has been but he is a big, tough, fast defensive forward who can play the PK, stand in front of the net & fight for pucks along the boards. Greening is the kind of guy everybody tries to get at the deadline for the playoffs.

Know the players & what their attributes are, Yost is terrible at this, he is always defending Spezza & Karlsson & always crapping on the bottom six players or the 5th & 6th defenceman like it's their fault the team can't score. He is always crapping on Kassian yet has no answer as to what to do against the other enforcers in the league. Should Neil fight everybody by himself? Does he expect Z. Smith to fight Orr or McClaren? That didn't go so well for DD. I suppose he wants to be like JM & just ignore them, but how did that work for JM, it got him fired ... twice. Kassian does his job & it's not his fault the team isn't winning either. Conacher was brought in to score & he isn't scoring yet people including Yost never critizes that guy but he has critized Greening a non-goal scorer. Neither Greening or Conacher are scoring but I will take Greening & all the stuff he can do over Conacher any day. BM will need to make a least two deals at some point this yr, one for a forward & one for a defenseman but I hope it doesn't cost us a player who turns into a star for the other team, remember Laich. Hopefully BM trades both Conacher & Condra in a package who have become irrelevant to this team for a top 6 forward. And place Corvo on waivers.
Most people with a brain know that Yost is a wind bag and his opinions are based on stats only. He doesn't know the intricacies of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad