NFL: LA Relocation thread. The Los Angeles Rams/Chargers of Inglewood

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
As expected. I think the league is trying to broker a deal between Spanos and Kroenke but they'll be lost of twists to this one before the rubber stamp(s) are done IMO.

Either way, I'm glad the league is finally addressing the issue. Kicking the can down the road a year doesn't do anyone any good.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Chargers have always felt like the 4th team of those 4. Helps the other three had actual success.

But then you'd miss out on this:

PhilipRivers_display_image.jpg

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Move the Raiders into Levi Stadium. I know Davis doesn't like the idea, but I think it's safe to say the current fanbase/ticket holders would rather see that happen then the team leave the Bay.

I really think that's the best option and the NFL can get some good press saying they spared tax payers building another stadium.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Oakland's lease expired last Sunday. Good riddance. Now hopefully the A's can knock down Mt. Davis and have a nice view of the Oakland hills while working on a new stadium deal.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Count me as another who would much prefer seeing the Raiders playing in Santa Clara than anywhere else next year, though there's pride hurdles to overcome on both sides there. I'm sure Davis would rather be second-fiddle to the Rams in LA than to the 49ers in Santa Clara.

I just really don't want the Raiders around here.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I just can't see Davis pay to play in someone else's stadium. Especially the 49ers.

Well, he better sell the team then because they're not going to be playing in their own stadium in California anytime soon. You're either second fiddle in the 49ers' stadium or second fiddle in the Rams' stadium. I don't see the Carson project as realistic, but even then the Chargers would be the primary tenant just because of financial necessity.

Davis doesn't have the money to be turning his nose up at this point in time and I don't see him being willing to sell.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Raiders have a much bigger fan base in La than either the Rams or Chargers. I see them much rather playing second fiddle in a stadium they'll likely sell more tickets and merch in than in Santa Clara where they have virtually no fan base.

I don't see many of the Oakland fans migrating to Santa Clara for games. They're proud fans and Davis made 0 attempt to keep them there.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't think the Raiders are going to be viewed as second fiddle to the Chargers.

Also don't think there's any way this ends with San Diego as the only team that stays put. The owners seem to really want Spanos taken care of. Whether that's Carson with Raiders or Inglewood with Rams, don't think he's going to be left out in the cold.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Oakland's lease expired last Sunday. Good riddance. Now hopefully the A's can knock down Mt. Davis and have a nice view of the Oakland hills while working on a new stadium deal.

i'd rather the raiders stay in oakland but this would be the only plus that would come out of them coming back to LA

mount davis ruined what was once a beautiful ballpark.

aside from that, still hoping its the rams that make the move back. the raiders and chargers belong where they currently are, the rams don't. the raiders playing at levi's makes tons of sense but there's no way the niners will allow that

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't think the Raiders are going to be viewed as second fiddle to the Chargers.

Also don't think there's any way this ends with San Diego as the only team that stays put. The owners seem to really want Spanos taken care of. Whether that's Carson with Raiders or Inglewood with Rams, don't think he's going to be left out in the cold.

Yeah, out of the three teams I would expect Spanos to have the most support from the other owners to move given the history of stadium proposals in San Diego.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yeah, out of the three teams I would expect Spanos to have the most support from the other owners to move given the history of stadium proposals in San Diego.

Stan's a relative newcomer and good knows how much left over animus Bowl Cut has to wade through from his father.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My expectation for alignment is that regardless of which franchise ends up where, the two LA teams (that's right, I'm already assuming that LA will have two teams next year) will end up in the NFC West and AFC West respectively while the odd team out is in the AFC West regardless of where they end up (my money here is on St. Louis, even if the Rams stay put).

Imagine the Los Angeles Raiders being in the same division as the 49ers while the AFC West has teams in both Kansas City and St. Louis. Think a lot of fans would be just fine with those as primary divisional rivalries.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
FWIW the Raiders would absolutely be the more popular team in a shared venue with the Chargers.

That stadium isn't being built without the Chargers, though. Davis doesn't have the money to bankroll a haircut, nevermind a stadium.

Part of the reason I see Carson as a bad pipe dream is that Spanos is talking about sharing a stadium with the Raiders right in the epicenter of Raider fans in LA. The further you venture from South Central, the less Raiders stuff you'll see...so proposing a shared stadium in South Central is just bonkers.

With Kroenke it's all about already owning the land. It's not easy to get that much land in the endless sprawl of LA, and Kroenke has it for the Hollywood Park project...even if it is in the less-than-ideal Inglewood.

I think the Rams have the most potential for becoming 'LA's team'. The Raiders have a sizeable built-in fan base here, but that is matched by as many people who refuse to give that franchise the time of day. The Chargers...they'd be getting table scraps unless they're the only team to actually move here, and I don't see a scenario where it's just the Chargers.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
My expectation for alignment is that regardless of which franchise ends up where, the two LA teams (that's right, I'm already assuming that LA will have two teams next year) will end up in the NFC West and AFC West respectively while the odd team out is in the AFC West regardless of where they end up (my money here is on St. Louis, even if the Rams stay put).

Imagine the Los Angeles Raiders being in the same division as the 49ers while the AFC West has teams in both Kansas City and St. Louis. Think a lot of fans would be just fine with those as primary divisional rivalries.

I don't really see a scenario in which Raiders are moved to NFC being well received

Raiders rivalries are well established in AFC

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't really see a scenario in which Raiders are moved to NFC being well received

Raiders rivalries are well established in AFC

I think after the violence between the two fan bases, they will do everything they can to avoid those two teams meeting as much as they can. If the Rams go to LA, they will stay in the NFC. If the Raiders and Chargers move, it's probably the Chargers that go to the NFC and the Rams go to the AFC unless Seattle wants back there for some reason.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Would the fan violence really transfer over? How many Oakland fans remained a fan of the Raiders after they abandoned the market for the first time? Then again, LA and SF fans will always butt heads in any sport if they're in the same division.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Swap one and maybe Arizona?

It definitely would make sense from a league perspective. But it would seem weird for the Chargers or Raiders to switch. They have been in the AFC since the merger. And they both have strong long lasting rivalries with Denver and KC. I'm sure both would balk at the suggestion but i'm sure some sort of monetary deal could be arranged.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Would the fan violence really transfer over? How many Oakland fans remained a fan of the Raiders after they abandoned the market for the first time?

Most.

Furthermore, hooliganism was arguably higher the last time the Raiders were in LA. In Ice Cube's documentary players talk abut telling their families to stay home.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Korneke has the best overall proposal & the Rams were taken away from LA Because Frontiere's selfishness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad