NFL: LA Relocation thread. The Los Angeles Rams/Chargers of Inglewood

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Swap one and maybe Arizona?

It's a tough position. Arizona has been in the NFC/NFL for longer than there's been an NFL. And now that they are good, you probably don't want to screw with it. Same goes for Seattle, who used to be in the AFC. There's no good candidate to do it.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Are there any other obvious near-term future landing sites for the team(s) that don't move to LA?

San Antonio and St. Louis (while their new stadium gets built). I'd expect Houston and Dallas to be a bit huffy about a third Texan team though, and I'd be inclined to think that the NFL would want to send the message and government support for stadium construction will be rewarded with keeping/getting a team, so I'd still highlight St. Louis as being the most likely.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
>The NFL doesn't need LA, NY or Chicago to thrive.

LA maybe, but lolwut on the other two.

As long as they can actually draw i'm cool with it. It would look awfully dumb if somebody moved to LA and played to an empty stadium within a couple years.

I'm still shocked someone would even post that. One of the most absurd things I've ever read on this board. And there are a lot of things on HFBoards that are absurd.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The bears have been pretty much a dumpster fire since 85 outside of like 06 and 2010. Twice in 30 years isn't a big deal.

The Jets have mostly been trash since 1969.

The Giants aren't even a consistent winner. I mean after 90 and before 07 they had one good year. The NFL doesn't really need anyone market. Its the one league that can say that because people will watch. Its the only league where people would watch a Denver/Seattle championship. For baseball those would get horrendous ratings.

The Giants aren't a consistent winner yet they have four titles since 1986.

:laugh:

And who cares if the Jets have been a poor team? They sell tickets and do HUGE merchandise sales. I mean. Just. LOL.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
San Antonio and St. Louis (while their new stadium gets built). I'd expect Houston and Dallas to be a bit huffy about a third Texan team though, and I'd be inclined to think that the NFL would want to send the message and government support for stadium construction will be rewarded with keeping/getting a team, so I'd still highlight St. Louis as being the most likely.

No way Jerry lets a team into his market.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Swap the Rams for the Chargers.

That's probably the most likely scenario, also the Rams sort of fall into the same camp as the Cardinals as NFC-lifers. At least it would leave the Rams would more friendly division travel. For everyone, really, I'm sure the Seahawks, 49ers, and Cardinals aren't big fans of that trip, where it's often 10am PT starts

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
No way Jerry lets a team into his market.

Funny enough, when there was chatter back with NOs after Katrina, he was supportive or at least paid lip service. Of course that was about 10 years ago and people just didn't like Jerry v now where they all wish he'd just go away somehow.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Funny enough, when there was chatter back with NOs after Katrina, he was supportive or at least paid lip service. Of course that was about 10 years ago and people just didn't like Jerry v now where they all wish he'd just go away somehow.

Jerry was definitely receptive of getting a team back in Houston. He was one of the major proponents, and I think that was real.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It's a tough position. Arizona has been in the NFC/NFL for longer than there's been an NFL. And now that they are good, you probably don't want to screw with it. Same goes for Seattle, who used to be in the AFC. There's no good candidate to do it.

Ahh forgot about Seattle. That would make sense if you want to bring back history. Seattle was a true dumpster fire those days with a joke of a stadium too.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'm still shocked someone would even post that. One of the most absurd things I've ever read on this board. And there are a lot of things on HFBoards that are absurd.

You must be a new yorker. That's the only reason why you'd say that. The NFL doesn't need a market to thrive. Its the one league that doesn't. Hell people are more into DirectTV and the pass/Redzone these days than they are attending games or watching one single game.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Giants aren't a consistent winner yet they have four titles since 1986.

:laugh:

And who cares if the Jets have been a poor team? They sell tickets and do HUGE merchandise sales. I mean. Just. LOL.

That doesn't even matter. Even a **** team like Jacksonville turns a profit. Just. LOL

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
That's probably the most likely scenario, also the Rams sort of fall into the same camp as the Cardinals as NFC-lifers. At least it would leave the Rams would more friendly division travel. For everyone, really, I'm sure the Seahawks, 49ers, and Cardinals aren't big fans of that trip, where it's often 10am PT starts

When the Rams moved to St. Louis, they gave up their right to have a say in any potential realignments to the AFC. I think that will be the most likely scenario.

I've read one potential outcome is the Chargers alone in Carson and I've read it enough times that apparently it is a potential outcome. I don't understand how that can be and if it is, why did they ever enter in to the agreement with the Raiders?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ahh forgot about Seattle. That would make sense if you want to bring back history. Seattle was a true dumpster fire those days with a joke of a stadium too.

They're far past that.

One other option would be to flip the Chargers and Rams, and then flip the Rams and Texans, which gives both of them closer rivals.

I don't get the rush to LA though. One I can see. I don't get why we need to rush 2 of them in there.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Jerry was definitely receptive of getting a team back in Houston. He was one of the major proponents, and I think that was real.

Definitely. Dallas & Houston have plenty of rivalries, so Jerry knows he would never have a stranglehold there like he could in SA.

Truthfully, I think his talk in 2005 about NOs in SA was lip service myself. He fully expected NOs to fail and while SA would plead and say golly jeepers, you said you liked us, he'd rubber stamp the Saints move off to LA.

Also, don't tell Jerry but until recently I could buy a Raiders jersey at the Walmart nearby. But I don't think anyone here really believes the NFL will be coming here.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The AFC West is going to be hard to break up. Those four franchises have been together for 55 years.

The Chargers have always felt like the 4th team of those 4. Helps the other three had actual success.

You know what's strange to think about is that if the Raiders stayed in Oakland one more year, it'll be as many years in Oakland this time as they were the first.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
doesnt san diego and oakland have to go together? thought they had a joint stadium plan

Oakland just has to go where there's a stadium, period. If the Rams move to LA it'll be because they're building their own stadium.

Both Raiders in LA options involve them being the secondary tenant in one of the stadiums. The Chargers would need the Raiders for their stadium project to 'work', though.

Ultimately I think Carson is a pipe dream...and not a particularly good one at that since Carson is also in South Central. The Chargers would be moving in as the 'primary' tenant of a stadium in an area that'd be 99% Raiders fans.

Ditto Inglewood, mind you. The triangle between the Coliseum and the two projects is geographically insignificant given the sprawl of this city.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
When the Rams move back to L.A., they obviously need to stay in the NFC West, to revive the heated LA / SF rivalry.

The Chargers can join the Rams in Inglewood, and the Raiders can be the 2nd team in Santa Clara.

No muss, no fuss - done...

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Move the Raiders into Levi Stadium. I know Davis doesn't like the idea, but I think it's safe to say the current fanbase/ticket holders would rather see that happen then the team leave the Bay.

Rams into Los Angeles, building their stadium.

Chargers get to decide whether to play second fiddle in the Rams stadium or look to other pastures like St Louis or San Antonio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad