La Liga 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Liverpool hasn't won the league since before the Premier League era, Barcelona has won four out of the last five with the sole exception being CR7's Real Madrid which has since disintegrated.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Very happy with the performance against Betis. Looked like an exhibition out there before that Fekir goal which was a textbook example of a goal against the run of play. Fortunately the team just forged ahead and played their game. Griezmann was easily Man of the Match for me, but as wonderful as he was it was a real team effort. Griezmann with some really nice goals, one Suarezesque and one Messiesque, along with a really nice assist. I LOVED his goal celebration too. Absolutely fantastic and I burst out laughing when he did it. And speaking of Messiesque goals, that Perez goal smacked of Messi.

With regards to Perez, the key will be how many chances he gets. I think he's squad player level for a club like ours, but that's OK considering the time he's spent in La Masia and he's a Catalan boy. Thinking of the recent past, I like what I've seen more than from Munir or Sandro, but I also don't think he's quite as talented as a Deulofeu. Sometimes it really comes down to chances and how the manager uses the player.

Some great stuff from Rafinha. He didn't have his finishing boots on, but some highlight reel moments. Amazing no one has stumped up 15 million for him. If you're willing to overlook the injury record he's easily worth more than double that.

Gotta love the sour grapes anti-Barça commentary that is not only inaccurate but lacks some really clear context. Hopefully we'll be spared of it after this result.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Liverpool hasn't won the league since before the Premier League era, Barcelona has won four out of the last five with the sole exception being CR7's Real Madrid which has since disintegrated.

That's your argument for La Liga being the most boring big league in Europe? Hegemony? There's been more parity in Spain the past decade than there has in Germany, Italy, or France.

Barca has won four out of the last five times? Wow, that's pretty predictable. Nothing compared to the excitement of PSG having won Ligue 1 six times consecutively, Juventus winning Serie A eight times consecutively, or Bayern winning the Bundesliga seven times consecutively. The triumvirate of Real, Barca and Atletico provides more competition than anything happening in those leagues, along with higher quality mid-table teams. I don't see the relegation fodder in Italy, Germany, and France consistently giving the champions a hard game like they do in Spain, either.

But Spain has a couple of super teams and one of them won a game today so it's boring. Well, having two super teams is at least better than having one.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That's your argument for La Liga being the most boring big league in Europe? Hegemony? There's been more parity in Spain the past decade than there has in Germany, Italy, or France.

Barca has won four out of the last five times? Wow, that's pretty predictable. Nothing compared to the excitement of PSG having won Ligue 1 six times consecutively, Juventus winning Serie A eight times consecutively, or Bayern winning the Bundesliga seven times consecutively. The triumvirate of Real, Barca and Atletico provides more competition than anything happening in those leagues, along with higher quality mid-table teams. I don't see the relegation fodder in Italy, Germany, and France consistently giving the champions a hard game like they do in Spain, either.

But Spain has a couple of super teams and one of them won a game today so it's boring. Well, having two super teams is at least better than having one.
He's a bit of a basket case best not to take him too serious.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
On the replay I just have a question, is last man back as a foul no longer a red card? I saw Pique only got a yellow for his (unless there's another player I missed off the screen).

EDIT: Nvm, I just googled it. For some reason I thought it only applied to penalties, but I guess it applies to these situations too (which seems weird).

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
On the replay I just have a question, is last man back as a foul no longer a red card? I saw Pique only got a yellow for his (unless there's another player I missed off the screen).

It wasn't really a goalscoring position, so a yellow is fine.
But last man foul still means a red if the attacker has an open route on goal.

I know it's early days, but Madrid still looks like a hot mess.
Varane still looks lost (I thought last season was an aberration due to the long WC-season), they still look completely inept offensively, etc.

But the one player I'm most baffled with is Carvajal. This guy was, IMO, the best RB in the world 2 years ago. Better than Kimmich, better than anyone else. Offensively fantastic, defensively very, very good.
He's had his heart issue and some injuries in the last 2 years, so there's that... but I thought maybe a full summer off would do him good.
He's still struggling offensively and is in complete shambles defensively. Baffling, how far he's fallen off.

I'm sort of disappointed by Betis. Last year they were a joy to watch under Setien, and now under Rubi (who, granted, did great with Espanyol) they're just another counter-attacking team.

Barca looks... I don't know. Obviously, hammering Betis helps, but the game was there for the taking for Betis, they were just too inept to grab it in the first half.
Still, Betis is a decent team and putting 5 past them without Messi is impressive.

Mostly though, I'm intrigued by Atletico. They lost so many players this summer, the core of their era-defining team, and they still managed to find good replacements and look as competitive as ever.
Simeone may be a ****, but he's a fantastic manager, you gotta give him that.

Last edited:

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I feel bad for Frenkie. He played on the wings where his main qualities are wasted and was skipped in most of the attacks while continuously running and asking for balls. His heat map was unusual. I know Valverde is dealing with some injuries, but he's one of the worst tacticians in the business. Can't believe he has a job, much less for one of the biggest teams in football.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It wasn't really a goalscoring position, so a yellow is fine.
But last man foul still means a red if the attacker has an open route on goal.

I know it's early days, but Madrid still looks like a hot mess.
Varane still looks lost (I thought last season was an aberration due to the long WC-season), they still look completely inept offensively, etc.

But the one player I'm most baffled with is Carvajal. This guy was, IMO, the best RB in the world 2 years ago. Better than Kimmich, better than anyone else. Offensively fantastic, defensively very, very good.
He's had his heart issue and some injuries in the last 2 years, so there's that... but I thought maybe a full summer off would do him good.
He's still struggling offensively and is in complete shambles defensively. Baffling, how far he's fallen off.

I'm sort of disappointed by Betis. Last year they were a joy to watch under Setien, and now under Rubi (who, granted, did great with Espanyol) they're just another counter-attacking team.

Barca looks... I don't know. Obviously, hammering Betis helps, but the game was there for the taking for Betis, they were just too inept to grab it in the first half.
Still, Betis is a decent team and putting 5 past them without Messi is impressive.

Mostly though, I'm intrigued by Atletico. They lost so many players this summer, the core of their era-defining team, and they still managed to find good replacements and look as competitive as ever.
Simeone may be a ****, but he's a fantastic manager, you gotta give him that.
Setien was ok as a manager them letting him go kinda made sense. Given they didn't make Europe with the squad they had. ITs early days as you said so, I think top 6 is really attainable for them.

Not sure why you mean about Simeone with that censored word but he could do more with the resources he's had in recent years. But that been beaten to death. Still the best in La liga right now though.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think Betis can challenge for Europe, but their squad is very thin and has been for some years. They need Lainez to play better as they spent what is a lot of money for Betis on him.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Not sure why you mean about Simeone with that censored word but he could do more with the resources he's had in recent years. But that been beaten to death. Still the best in La liga right now though.

I honestly don't know of another word to describe him in footballing terms. It's the C word (I know it's the ugliest word in the english language, but in footballing terms it's used relatively often for true masters of sh*thousery).
He's the Diego Costa/Luis Suarez of managers. He'll do anything to win, won't care how he comes off to other people, it doesn't matter how he gets the win as long as he gets it.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I think Betis can challenge for Europe, but their squad is very thin and has been for some years. They need Lainez to play better as they spent what is a lot of money for Betis on him.

Oh, I think they're pretty good on paper. Which is why I'm disappointed they settle for this counter-attacking style against a Barca side that seemed very mortal and vulnerable.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Betis didn't look Europa quality yesterday, except three or four players.

I feel bad for Frenkie. He played on the wings where his main qualities are wasted and was skipped in most of the attacks while continuously running and asking for balls. His heat map was unusual. I know Valverde is dealing with some injuries, but he's one of the worst tacticians in the business. Can't believe he has a job, much less for one of the biggest teams in football.

It's good to see another way of him playing, adds versatility to his game and some of the runs were really good just not spotted by teammates, I wouldn't worry or feel bad for a game

Reactions: Ajacied

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
It's good to see another way of him playing, adds versatility to his game and some of the runs were really good just not spotted by teammates, I wouldn't worry or feel bad for a game

I'm not worried at all, but playing a player with Frenkie's talent out wide is just dumb. He doesn't have the pace or one on one skills to be successful there. His biggest qualities are playing in crowded situations, creating space for his teammates, playing out of pressured situations and starting up attacks and that all suits best in a central role.

The only thing Frenkie should work on is his shot and long (through) pass, which I think will come at CM with Busquets behind him.
I think Frenkie will play there once everyone is fully fit and the roster is set, but it just annoys me a bit right now.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

More parity? In Spain only four (4!) clubs have made the top three during the last decade, in Germany 9, Italy 8, France 8. Do other big leagues have issues? Absolutely. Are they as severe as in Spain? In no case. Furthermore these issues in Spain have recently only been getting worse.

The triumvirate of Real, Barca and Atletico provides more competition than anything happening in those leagues, along with higher quality mid-table teams.

There's no triumvirate in Spain, Real has disintegrated after the departure of CR7 and Atletico just unceremoniously lost their biggest star under contract to Barcelona. They are no challengers.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Fati didn’t put a foot wrong yesterday, very impressive for a 16 year old. Hopefully the kids get more of a chance to shine, especially since the schedule’s going to be a bit of a mess mid-season with the Supercup tournament taking place in January.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
More parity? In Spain only four (4!) clubs have made the top three during the last decade, in Germany 9, Italy 8, France 8. Do other big leagues have issues? Absolutely. Are they as severe as in Spain? In no case. Furthermore these issues in Spain have recently only been getting worse.

There's no triumvirate in Spain, Real has disintegrated after the departure of CR7 and Atletico just unceremoniously lost their biggest star under contract to Barcelona. They are no challengers.

So there's no triumvirate in Spain yet you point out how the top 3 is almost always the same?

And just because Real Madrid is currently in a downturn doesn't mean they aren't challengers to Barcelona. Holy shit, are you claiming that the field in Germany, Italy and France provides more competition than Real Madrid does in Spain? :facepalm:

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So there's no triumvirate in Spain yet you point out how the top 3 is almost always the same?

Atletico or even Real Madrid are not able to challenge Barcelona anymore, so no, there's no triumvirate. I do agree that they are head and shoulders above the rest which can be seen in last year's table where there was zero competition for any of the top three spots.

And just because Real Madrid is currently in a downturn doesn't mean they aren't challengers to Barcelona. Holy ****, are you claiming that the field in Germany, Italy and France provides more competition than Real Madrid does in Spain? :facepalm:

Each of the leagues has its own unique situation, in Germany FC Bayern aren't even the strongest side at the moment. France probably comes closest to Spain. England obviously has a stronger league still with a number of teams that could win it.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I'll be the first to say that Valverde sucks, but Frenkie wasn't played on the wing. He was played at LCM. If you look at Busquets' heatmap and some of the positions occupied by Rafinha or even Griezmann at times it makes sense. We're two matches into the season and the important thing is that Frenkie is playing and looks settled in the team.

Setien was ok as a manager them letting him go kinda made sense. Given they didn't make Europe with the squad they had. ITs early days as you said so, I think top 6 is really attainable for them.

I don't think letting Setien go makes sense if you're going to replace him with Rubi.

To be fair to Lainez he's still quite young and it's not like he's had anything to resemble a consistent run in the side since they signed him.

Betis can challenge for Europe, but they're by no means a lock. They've lost their best midfielder for three years in a row which has taken it's toll and they have some solid competition for one of those Europa League spots. I agree, the squad definitely looks thin.

Betis didn't look Europa quality yesterday, except three or four players.

Agreed. I thought Moron was their best player and Fekir showed up, but after that there wasn't much to write home about. They have some quality in that lineup, but I think there are question marks in both defense and attack with the midfield perhaps being more stable.

I love this.

The broadcast I saw had a clip from the early stage of the match too where Suarez was giving the kid heck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad