La Liga 2019/2020 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
As a fan I would want my team to win by playing good football instead of grinding it out with controversial VAR calls.

Would you rather win games playing like City does or like Atletico Madrid does? Madrid is capable of playing fantastic football and they're not doing so aside from Benzema, I guess that's what I mean.

Note that I would say the same had Barça won La Liga, I didn't like at all the way we played most of the games.

Exactly. Not everyone watches the game to be entertained though. Some people care only about titles. Exhibit A:

A win is a win no matter what you think. There will not be an asterisk beside their recent La Liga triumph with a note that says that they did not play beautiful football so that title is worth less.

This is the mentality that got Valverde sacked for Setien imo. They would’ve won the league with the former.

Not necessarily. In fact there is absolutely nothing to suggest that. I won't go into the biggest impact on the league, but the second biggest impact on the league was the shutdown. I had a big impact on multiple leagues and multiple players.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Or meet them with a low bar going into it!

It's ok mine would just slide underneath the bar.

Tbh what did you expect with him managing/playing there for like 5 years now.

it’s basically his 2nd home.

It could be his "first" home he should be held to the same standard as everyone else. He could've used his platform to speak about injustice but he'd rather fill his pockets. Sad to see. Next time Catalonia's issue arise he should keep his mouth shut or risk further embarrassment.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

Shameful stuff tbh

Shameful but not surprising. The testimony of someone like Xavi is worthless as he leads a privileged lives compared to the general populace. If you have money you can basically live in any armpit on the planet and feel like it is paradise. It serves as a good example of how these despotic regimes can endure for so long thanks to money and privilege.

Reactions: Cassano

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
This is the problem with reading headlines not to mention reading headlines and then not reading the actual article. While I don't support his comments because there's another side to Qatar, there's an obvious context here and there seems to be clear interpretations of what he means, or more likely misinterpretations. Here is what he actually said along with the questions that prompted said responses:

Q. You arrived in Qatar in 2015. Tell us about the country's progress towards the 2022 World Cup.
R. Tremendous in every way: infrastructure, stadiums -five of eight are almost finished-, hotels ... The country has changed a lot: roads, restaurants ... Qatar is growing at a great speed. Even traffic improved.

Q. The concept of the new stadiums is revolutionary. Do you think it will be the best World Cup in football history?
A. Almost all of them represent something of Arab culture and that makes the World Cup more special. It will be a historic Cup, without a doubt. People are going to be amazed at what the country is. In general, there are many prejudices and there is much unfounded criticism. Qatar has it all: a small, hospitable and generous country. It will be a historic World Cup.

Xavi: "Messi es una 'bestia', llegará a Qatar 2022"

IMO the only thing up for debate is the bolder line and even then I'd say there are multiple ways to read that.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
This is the problem with reading headlines not to mention reading headlines and then not reading the actual article. While I don't support his comments because there's another side to Qatar, there's an obvious context here and there seems to be clear interpretations of what he means, or more likely misinterpretations. Here is what he actually said along with the questions that prompted said responses:

IMO the only thing up for debate is the bolder line and even then I'd say there are multiple ways to read that.
"Qatar has it all: a small, hospitable and generous country."
This says a lot more than whatever you highlighted.

The country is built on slave labour and it takes just 2 minutes of searching to get plenty of information on that.
World Cup 2022: Qatar's workers are not workers, they are slaves, and they are building mausoleums, not stadiums

What criticism can be unfounded when they literally employ slaves? Maybe Xavi should work for a week with these people to see how generous the working conditions are.

Last edited:

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Morals go out the window when money is involved.

Does anyone know what's going on with Arthur?
Pretty obvious i think. He was forced out of the club so he now refuses to play for them. Do i endorse what he is doing? No. But i understand him because he never wanted to leave and they strong-armed until he said yes. Most people would be disgruntled too.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Pretty obvious i think. He was forced out of the club so he now refuses to play for them. Do i endorse what he is doing? No. But i understand him because he never wanted to leave and they strong-armed until he said yes. Most people would be disgruntled too.

I know that part. I should have written what I wanted to know which is can Barca take legal action and can the exchange happen sooner?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I know that part. I should have written what I wanted to know which is can Barca take legal action and can the exchange happen sooner?

They definitely can I doubt if anything actually happens though. He's still under barca contract. They're being dumb though. Both are tbh.

I read the article. He clearly states there is many unfounded criticism. Which is a bold faced lie. Everything said about that country is true.

Reactions: Cassano

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
"Qatar has it all: a small, hospitable and generous country."
This says a lot more than whatever you highlighted.

The country is built on slave labour and it takes just 2 minutes of searching to get plenty of information on that.
World Cup 2022: Qatar's workers are not workers, they are slaves, and they are building mausoleums, not stadiums

What criticism can be unfounded when they literally employ slaves? Maybe Xavi should work for a week with these people to see how generous the working conditions are.

No, it doesn't. At best it says as much. As for what you posted, I'm not now nor was I previously disputing that. However I wouldn't say that is entirely what Xavi was referring to assuming he was at all and what you linked has more to to do what I bolded. So unless you can provide more details as to what Xavi was referring to it's irrelevant.

I read the article. He clearly states there is many unfounded criticism. Which is a bold faced lie. Everything said about that country is true.

Again, we don't know what criticisms he was referring to though.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
No, it doesn't. At best it says as much. As for what you posted, I'm not now nor was I previously disputing that. However I wouldn't say that is entirely what Xavi was referring to assuming he was at all and what you linked has more to to do what I bolded. So unless you can provide more details as to what Xavi was referring to it's irrelevant.

Pretty clear you are arguing semantics and playing dumb to defend one of your heroes. This is not a political forum and you will play dumb until the end so i will not push the issue further than that.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

I mean what could he be possible be referring to. What "prejudices"does Qatar suffer from? What "criticisms" are unfounded. Here's a hint nothing.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Pretty clear you are arguing semantics and playing dumb to defend one of your heroes. This is not a political forum and you will play dumb until the end so i will not push the issue further than that.

I'm playing dumb and yet you ignore the fact that I said " I don't support his comments because there's another side to Qatar"? Well maybe you're not playing. I simply did two things. First, I added some context which was needed to a degree all things considered. Second, I brought up the legitimate question that we don't know exactly what he was referring to and I did so after seeing the full interview. It's unfortunate that the interviewer didn't ask him to expand on his comments or that Xavi himself wasn't more specific. I personally suspect that an expansion on that sentiment would largely be bad, but considering the reaction his comments received in the past I don't know.

I mean what could he be possible be referring to. What "prejudices"does Qatar suffer from? What "criticisms" are unfounded. Here's a hint nothing.

The fact that they're hosting the tournament at all? In my experience the fact that they're hosting the tournament, regardless of any human rights abuses, was an issue for many.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You reap what you sow. Bartomeu is a clown.

Actually he has a point here pending contracts with the whole Covid thing. I'm not fussed about it because he'd likely not play much barring injuries. Anyway, you do reap what you sow:

_109747623_golf3.jpg

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Actually he has a point here pending contracts with the whole Covid thing. I'm not fussed about it because he'd likely not play much barring injuries. Anyway, you do reap what you sow:

_109747623_golf3.jpg
Considering he scored key goals in multiple Champions League finals; he has long been worth the investment. You were better at defending Qatar than this pathetic attempt at a "burn".

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Considering he scored key goals in multiple Champions League finals; he has long been worth the investment. You were better at defending Qatar than this pathetic attempt at a "burn".

Which Final? The one where the opposing team's best player was injured and the match was over? Or the one where the ref has since admitted your only goal in regular time shouldn't have stood? Oh, wrong final.

Your initial post was pathetic on the face of it. As for this one, demonstrate how I have ever defended Qatar.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Which Final? The one where the opposing team's best player was injured and the match was over? Or the one where the ref has since admitted your only goal in regular time shouldn't have stood? Oh, wrong final.

Your initial post was pathetic on the face of it. As for this one, demonstrate how I have ever defended Qatar.
Your defending of Qatar is there for everyone to see on the internet. You can deny it as much as you want but in the end it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad