Not open for further replies.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
3 CLs (still in play for 4th)
2 Ligas
3 and a half years

While I don't rate ZZ as much as most people, there's something here that can't be denied.

He's a very successful coach, indeed, that's undeniable, I just don't see anything that makes him to be a special coach.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well that was 't the discussion. You said he wasn't one of the best managers in the world.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The way Real won this year is not to be proud and I don't see how he has proven to be one of the best managers in the world
They should not be proud? A 10-1-0 record since the COVID-19 break and a historical defence are not small accomplishments. What people do not realize is how Zidane has excelled in tournaments. La Liga having all those fixtures in a short amount of time turned it into one and that was exactly in their wheelhouse.

Reactions: Dr Salt

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
The way Real won this year is not to be proud and I don't see how he has proven to be one of the best managers in the world
how is it not to be proud of? Also because his choices even when the fans doubted it paid off, great man manager too.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Zidane is a underrated man manager. He enticed a nice calm brain in Pepe, and look how much better he got in heated moments during a match. The way he managed CR7 was great too at a time when Ronaldo wanted to play 90 minutes in every freaking match in every freaking competition. The link up play Benzema had with Ronaldo/Bale and the midfield was underrated too...Benzema really sacrificed a lot during that time and it shows how versatile he is, Zidane really appreciates him too.

Is he a tactical legend? Right now no, but he is a good coach and really knows how to work personalities imho. I think the current situation with Bale says a lot more about him rather than the coach.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Anyway I watched Barça B's promotion playoff game, Moriba looks quite the prospect. Hopefully they don't screw him up.
They beat Valladolid B 3-2 and now advance to a semifinal game against Badajoz. Two more wins and it's back to the Segunda.

They just beat Badajoz as well, 5-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw and are now headed to the playoff final.
Didn't watch the game because I couldn't find a decent stream though.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Barça B lost in the playoff final 2-1. Some don't feel promotion is a good thing, but I'd have liked it for some of those players. Monchu particularly, but I could see him out on loan too. Hope he gets a shot in preseason.

Reactions: Cassano

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Why is it not a win to be proud of?

As a fan I would want my team to win by playing good football instead of grinding it out with controversial VAR calls.

Would you rather win games playing like City does or like Atletico Madrid does? Madrid is capable of playing fantastic football and they're not doing so aside from Benzema, I guess that's what I mean.

Note that I would say the same had Barça won La Liga, I didn't like at all the way we played most of the games.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
As a fan I would want my team to win by playing good football instead of grinding it out with controversial VAR calls.

Would you rather win games playing like City does or like Atletico Madrid does? Madrid is capable of playing fantastic football and they're not doing so aside from Benzema, I guess that's what I mean.

Note that I would say the same had Barça won La Liga, I didn't like at all the way we played most of the games.
A win is a win no matter what you think. There will not be an asterisk beside their recent La Liga triumph with a note that says that they did not play beautiful football so that title is worth less.

Reactions: koyvoo and Cassano

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

This is the mentality that got Valverde sacked for Setien imo. They would’ve won the league with the former.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
This is the mentality that got Valverde sacked for Setien imo. They would’ve won the league with the former.
Valverde and Setein had similar records this league. Imagine spending million and millions to play the ugliest footy.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Valverde and Setein had similar records this league. Imagine spending million and millions to play the ugliest footy.
Weren't they first in the league prior to the Valverde sacking?

They replaced a 2x league manager and leading at the time with a guy only because he spouted Cryuffism. Fans got him sacked.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Weren't they first in the league prior to the Valverde sacking?

They replaced a 2x league manager and leading at the time with a guy only because he spouted Cryuffism. Fans got him sacked.
No he was fired because he bottled 4 trophies enough was enough at that point. He deserved to be fired and it's laughable to suggest otherwise.

Setien was hired because Xavi said no. Poch needed time and Koeman wasnt available. Setein was hired out of desperation regardless of his "Cryuffism"

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Valverde deserved to be sacked and the Setien signing was bs. I agree that with Ernesto we win this La Liga, and later bottle the CL.
He had to go after what happened at Anfield, it was necessary.

Reactions: Cassano

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
No he was fired because he bottled 4 trophies enough was enough at that point. He deserved to be fired and it's laughable to suggest otherwise.

Setien was hired because Xavi said no. Poch needed time and Koeman wasnt available. Setein was hired out of desperation regardless of his "Cryuffism"
Valverde deserved to be sacked and the Setien signing was bs. I agree that with Ernesto we win this La Liga, and later bottle the CL.
He had to go after what happened at Anfield, it was necessary.
No doubt Valverde should’ve been sacked after Anfield. But they decided to bring him in the next season anyways and threw a nuke at the team by sacking him for Setien. That gave the title to Madrid. They should’ve waited out til after the season.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
No doubt Valverde should’ve been sacked after Anfield. But they decided to bring him in the next season anyways and threw a nuke at the team by sacking him for Setien. That gave the title to Madrid. They should’ve waited out til after the season.
He wasn’t fired for the sake of firing him... he botched another title and the board finally let him go. The replacement was the issue. Not the firing. I think they really thought Xavi/poch would’ve taken the job. It was poor planning but I’m glad he’s fired.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah there are a lot of questionable actions here, but the biggest one for me was that if you were going to sack Valverde after the Anfield 'remontada' (which was necessary I think, even though I think the players are just as much to blame) why would you let him go through the off-season and start this season as the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad